Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

MR (USA) to Flying Club (VS) 30% Bonus Through September 12, 2018

Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

I know someone made a brief post in another AMEX thread, but figured it could use a dedicated thread.
Transfer of MR To VS (Virgin Atlantic) Flying Club now 1000:1300 instead of the usual 1000:1000

Special Offer: Get 30% more Flying Club miles when you transfer Membership Rewards points through 9/12/18. See Special Offer Terms*
mia likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Thanks for starting this separate thread. I think I'd like to use this for some DL tickets, but interested to see what everyone else comes up with.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bworrell
Thanks for starting this separate thread. I think I'd like to use this for some DL tickets, but interested to see what everyone else comes up with.
DL tickets and premium cabin bookings on ANA tend to be the most worthwhile redemptions. There is a very comprehensive thread in the VS forum about the ANA bookings, for those that want to go that route. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virg...ub-points.html Personally I plan on making a ANA F booking for next year.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed about ANA. Note that not all availability shown on the ANA site seems to be available to Virgin, but most is. It is still best to find availability on the ANA site before calling Virgin.

In case someone hasn't cashed in a Virgin award before, the reason not to use them to and from London is because on award tickets, they add ridiculously high YQ charges that must be paid in cash.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I just booked ANA SFO-NRT round trip in F for 83k MR points with this transfer bonus. What a deal!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
I just booked ANA SFO-NRT round trip in F for 83k MR points with this transfer bonus. What a deal!
Can you explain your process for booking ANA via VS with MR points?

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:39 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lax01
Can you explain your process for booking ANA via VS with MR points?
The actual booking will be done by telephone with Virgin Atlantic. Have a look at this thread in the Virgin Atlantic forum for ideas on finding availability etc:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virg...ub-points.html
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The actual booking will be done by telephone with Virgin Atlantic. Have a look at this thread in the Virgin Atlantic forum for ideas on finding availability etc:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virg...ub-points.html
Thanks! Its a pretty big thread at this point...any specific post to look for in there?

I guess I'm curious if there's a way to get an estimate on the amount of miles needed for VS...I see the flight on the United site I want is 80k 1-way on Business Saver....is there a way to convert to get a close approximation for VS miles?

Guess I'm also curious on how long the transfer from MR to VS takes...and if you can hold the flights while the mileage transfers over (so you don't transfer MR and get stuck in VS)
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:16 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....estimate on the amount of miles needed for VS....)
There is a chart on the Virgin Atlantic site:

https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en...n-airways.html

...be sure to click the Spend Miles tab.

Transfers to VS are typically instantaneous.
lax01 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There is a chart on the Virgin Atlantic site:

https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en...n-airways.html

...be sure to click the Spend Miles tab.

Transfers to VS are typically instantaneous.
Awesome! Thank you! And that is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks again
JHake10 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:26 pm

Awesome! Thank you! And that is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks again
You'll have to call in to book. I waited on hold for about 15 minutes. Look for ANA F award space ahead of time. If you see it on United's website then VS can book it. You'll also have to pay YQ which was ~340 USD for my flight.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
You'll have to call in to book. I waited on hold for about 15 minutes. Look for ANA F award space ahead of time. If you see it on United's website then VS can book it. You'll also have to pay YQ which was ~340 USD for my flight.
And VS only has access to "Saver" award tickets, right?

Thanks again!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:51 pm

That is my understanding. This would be saver first, O class.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I wonder what the taxes on South African, from the US would be?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
I wonder what the taxes on South African, from the US would be?
If you search the specific flights you want on ITA Matrix you can see. Basically all the line items below the fare line are YQ and taxes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.