Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Redeem Amex Membership Rewards (excluding premium cabin airfare)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to Redeem Amex Membership Rewards (excluding premium cabin airfare)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
The best answer is what makes most sense for you. While valuation is a good topic, it is overplayed. Giving points a valuation based off of a "best-case" scenario does not work for everyone. If a premium fight was discounted 10%, would you buy it with your own money? Well a 10% increased valuation for points somehow makes it the greatest deal ever for others.

For me, my work travel has left me with a bunch of hotel points, so I don't use any of my CC points for hotels. For leisure air travel, I don't see value in high-priced ones, so try to stay as cheap as possible, most of which I can't use my CC points for again. So what in the world would I use all of these points for? For me, it's cruises. As a heavy CSR user, I get the 50% bonus on those, and I honestly wouldn't see much value using my points any other way, at least in this point in time.

Play around with it. Align it with your interests. Maybe even upgrade your habits. I think it's good to hear from others what were some ways they got the most out of their money, but it's not law
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
American Express just announced that Aer Lingus is becoming a transfer partner, presumably at the same 1:1 rate BA Avios get, and there are some sweet spots with their off season reward options between NE cities + Chicago and Dublin going for as little as 26K Avios and with far lower fees than what you get with BA redemptions.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:38 pm

I would add also that saving up for international business class gets the most bang for your buck but probably off topic for you. I would save up for one of those amex experiences
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Super Mario
The best answer is what makes most sense for you. While valuation is a good topic, it is overplayed. Giving points a valuation based off of a "best-case" scenario does not work for everyone. If a premium fight was discounted 10%, would you buy it with your own money? Well a 10% increased valuation for points somehow makes it the greatest deal ever for others.

For me, my work travel has left me with a bunch of hotel points, so I don't use any of my CC points for hotels. For leisure air travel, I don't see value in high-priced ones, so try to stay as cheap as possible, most of which I can't use my CC points for again. So what in the world would I use all of these points for? For me, it's cruises. As a heavy CSR user, I get the 50% bonus on those, and I honestly wouldn't see much value using my points any other way, at least in this point in time.

Play around with it. Align it with your interests. Maybe even upgrade your habits. I think it's good to hear from others what were some ways they got the most out of their money, but it's not law
agreed as I used 240k Virgin Atlantic miles and a few hundred $ to get a couple first class round trip New York to Tokyo. So with the 30% MR transfer bonus that would be around 20c+ per MR ..... but I would have never paid the $40k for the tickets so the calculation is a moot point
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:23 pm

I'm not as knowledgeable as most other people here, but I've found something that works for me so far.

My MR is usually transferred to BA Avios when they have a good 40% transfer bonus. This is my short haul program I use. For Narita (I'm Tokyo based) to Manila for 10k Avios each way + $40ish each way. Cash price is regularly over $400. Narita to Bangkok would be 12,5k each way. If I calculate the cheapest price I can find for JAL, it would be well over 2 cents per Avios, making a value close to 3 cent per MR. I enjoy flying JAL economy and try my best to avoid LCC unless I have to, so this strategy works out well for me, and for me those are the values I feel I'm getting for the points.

You will need a second program for long haul flights since you said you want to fly internationally for DC or NYC. The program I've mainly used is AA, but maybe Alaska would be good for you. You can't transfer MR to Alaska. Maybe get a Marriott/SPG card. They transfer to AA and Alaska and you'll also have the option of hotel redemptions.

I'm an incredible cheapskate, which is why I'm attracted to loyalty programs, so I feel you when you say you want to redeem for quantity over quality, but I suggest treating yourself to a good business class long haul flight occasionally. I'm someone who never would/could buy a business class fare, nor do I have a job that would allow me to experience it, so it's quite a treat. I'll never forget my first business class flight from Haneda to SFO on JAL business. I think it's worth doing at least once.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:47 am

Best use for Amex rewards points...

We've got about 80k in Amex points. In the past, I've used them for Home Depot gift cards (yes, not the best use) or transferred to Starwood (slightly better use, I think). I keep hearing you can get some great mileage (pardon the pun) by transferring to certain airline programs, but I'm not sure which. Also, my wife and I only fly coach and we scour the web for good airline deals, so if the only good airline mileage deals are, say, for a business class ticket, it makes no sense to us. Can anyone advise what they see as the best use for these 80k points. We are planning some trips ahead and will be flying to Europe in the fall most likely. But we stay in hotels all the time, too.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Welcome to Flyertalk. I have added your question to a recent discussion of the same issue. If you are not interested in premium cabin airfare redemptions, or economy class flights to markets with high fares due to insufficient competition, it will be difficult to extract more than $0.01 per point.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
What's your home airport? a lot of the best options can vary based on location or number of flights required to get there.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:17 pm
mia

Transfers to JetBlue when the rate is 1:1 (as it is until the end of September) might be of interest, but I am not an economy cabin passenger.

MR (USA) to JetBlue (B6) 25% transfer bonus to 10.1.2018
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Thank you everyone for all your replies. You have been very helpful.

Economy class flights to markets with high fares works perfectly for me. I paid a lot to fly from Washington, DC to Seville. I just realized that transferring my MR points to Aeroplan or Singapore Airlines allows me to travel on United (and Lufthansa, for being a Star Alliance partner) for 60,000 MR points and $200-$300 roundtrip. I will definitely love to make this trip again.

One thing I noticed is that Aeroplan has very low roundtrip tickets from Washington to Toronto, around 15,000 MR but the fees are stupidly high. Any ideas on MR transfers with low fees? British Airways has ridiculous fees.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:09 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Javier1704
.... Aeroplan has very low roundtrip tickets from Washington to Toronto, around 15,000 MR but the fees are stupidly high. Any ideas on MR transfers with low fees? British Airways has ridiculous fees.
Aeroplan adds high fees on some airlines, including Air Canada. Likewise, BAEC adds high fees on their own flights, but both programs have low fee sweet spots.

Aeroplan, start here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rd-travel.html

BAEC look at domestic USA flights operated by AA and AS, and well as some routes to South America, and flights between UK and much of Europe (but avoid transatlantic routes).
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Javier1704
Thank you everyone for all your replies. You have been very helpful.

Economy class flights to markets with high fares works perfectly for me. I paid a lot to fly from Washington, DC to Seville. I just realized that transferring my MR points to Aeroplan or Singapore Airlines allows me to travel on United (and Lufthansa, for being a Star Alliance partner) for 60,000 MR points and $200-$300 roundtrip. I will definitely love to make this trip again.

One thing I noticed is that Aeroplan has very low roundtrip tickets from Washington to Toronto, around 15,000 MR but the fees are stupidly high. Any ideas on MR transfers with low fees? British Airways has ridiculous fees.
If you want to fly from DCA to YYZ on AA, and can find MileSAAver award seats on the AA nonstops, transfer your MR points to BA. BA does not collect surcharges on AA flights for travel wholly within the Americas (North and South), and would charge just 15,000 Avios for the roundtrip in Economy. (Iberia would charge just 12,000 Avios for the same roundtrip, but IB does not permit changes or refunds on award tickets for travel on AA.)
Javier1704 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Aeroplan adds high fees on some airlines, including Air Canada. Likewise, BAEC adds high fees on their own flights, but both programs have low fee sweet spots.

Aeroplan, start here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rd-travel.html

BAEC look at domestic USA flights operated by AA and AS, and well as some routes to South America, and flights between UK and much of Europe (but avoid transatlantic routes).
Thanks, Mia. You’re awesome!

I was able to find a 15,000 roundtrip from DC to Chicago for this weekend with only $11 fees. Price was $500.

I think with BA the challege is the avilability of awards. Although, a last minute flight to San Juan is only 20,000.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you want to fly from DCA to YYZ on AA, and can find MileSAAver award seats on the AA nonstops, transfer your MR points to BA. BA does not collect surcharges on AA flights for travel wholly within the Americas (North and South), and would charge just 15,000 Avios for the roundtrip in Economy. (Iberia would charge just 12,000 Avios for the same roundtrip, but IB does not permit changes or refunds on award tickets for travel on AA.)
This is extremely helpful. I've meaning to visit Mexico and Colombia for a while now.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:43 pm

MR point value if only flying economy?

all of the various bloggers value these things around 2 cents a piece. sure, if you're booking business/first class, it's quite easy to get value out of MR points, but what if you're only going to fly economy? i mostly do domestic travel, and maybe do an international flight once every two years -- and when i do, i'm perfectly content flying coach to save money.

i recently picked up the amex gold because of the 4x bonus for food/dining (my biggest expense after mortgage), but i'm not so sure i will keep it a 2nd year. my sapphire reserve only gives 3x points but it's a guaranteed 1.5 cents per point. i'm finding it difficult to redeem my MR points for more than 1 cent a piece.

what am i missing? is there nothing in between 1cpp and 2cpp for MR points? thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.