Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Help with AMEX Points Booking Strategy for South Africa

Help with AMEX Points Booking Strategy for South Africa

Old Jul 24, 18, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Help with AMEX Points Booking Strategy for South Africa

Hi there.
Longtime Lurker here!
I've got 210,000 Amex Points accrued.
I bought a photo safari to South Africa at an auction. I am planning on using it summer of 2019. Dates are flexible.
I'm departing Boston (BOS) and need to fly into Durban (DUR)

I am thinking of doing the safari for the 7 days and extending my trip to the UK for a few days. Perhaps 14 days in total.

I am looking to book my flights using my Amex point, and I'd like to get the most bang for my points. Additionally, I would really like to fly business or first class for any flights over 3 hours in length.
I'm not airline loyal at this point. I'm looking for some strategy suggestions to look at.
Right now I can book flights, all points, BOS to DUR (round trip) via the Amex travel site, and I can do it for under the 210,000 points, but it's not business class or first class on any of the flights, and my long legs and wide body hips aren't gonna love that!
Thanks in Advance. I'm really excited to see what my FlyerTalk gurus have for ideas!
Old Jul 24, 18, 2:42 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Here is a discussion from 2016 that may prove helpful:

Best redemptions for J trips to Southern Africa

Last edited by mia; Jul 25, 18 at 6:39 am
Old Jul 24, 18, 8:12 pm

You should look at flights into JNB and buy a coach ticket on Airlink from JNB to Durbin. Using points for the BOS to JNB.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: