Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How many people have dropped Amex over never getting a Black card invite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many people have dropped Amex over never getting a Black card invite?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Coinguy
Amex saw my business drop from about 95% because they created a black card and don’t want give it to high net worth,income customers who have been with Amex for decades anymore and Chase picked up that business.
Is this a serious post?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by tangfish
I think the platinum (and business platinum) are arguably the best value. A corpse could easily earn back the AF spent on either of those cards. The black card, it takes a bit of foresight and planning, and I wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesn't travel a lot. It definitely would not suit everyone, regardless of how many they give out. Mine was shockingly easy to get, judging by threads like this, so I think there is a lot more to it than simply spend amount.
Yes, there has to be. As I posted some months ago, I did receive an invite last year, even though I don't spend millions per year on my Amex cards.

I do, however, have a 32 year history of dutifully paying Amex annual fees (started with a green card back in 1986), so maybe they felt I'd keep paying the higher fees of the Centurion.

Incidentally, I didn't bother calling, I simply can't justify the $10K for the first year and $2.5K each subsequent year.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I'm just happy they haven't dropped me.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I wonder what happened to OP...
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by YHVH
Black is such an ugly color, who wants an overhyped card dipped in it?
The black makes my wallet look thinner. I think it's anodized, not dipped.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Wow this is such a sad topic
So basically OP is whinning because he can't join the Centurion Club so he decided to ..... and whine like a little kid that didn't get to play in the sandbox like the other kids.
Cry my damn River!

First of all why, why do you need a Centurion Card? Just to brag about it? Tell your family/friends and social media that you have a Centurion Card? Do you feel the need to be special or get that attention you feel you deserved or the feel of DYKWIA?

Op is this you?
Customer paid with solid black front Centurion card. Real or fake?

Last edited by BRAISKI; Jul 31, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Wow this is such a sad topic
So basically OP is whinning because he can't join the Centurion Club so he decided to ..... and whine like a little kid that didn't get to play in the sandbox like the other kids.
Cry my damn River!

First of all why, why do you need a Centurion Card? Just to brag about it? Tell your family/friends and social media that you have a Centurion Card? Do you feel the need to be special or get that attention you feel you deserved or the feel of DYKWIA?

Op is this you?
Customer paid with solid black front Centurion card. Real or fake?
Well put. Before I received my Centurion card invite, I was a bit curious as to why I wasn't invited based on my spend. Thus, during a call to AX for an unrelated matter, I asked in passing, and within 24 hours, I received a call from someone in the Centurion department and thus was invited. It's a relatively painless process if you feel you should be invited based on spend but have not been.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
I've had my mythical Centurion card as a "charter member" since the annual fee was only $1000 (remember that?). I admit, at first it was super cool to show off.

Since then I cringe anytime someone calls it out, usually, it's at a low-end retailer or divey diner or something of the like. Nobody else cares. When it comes out with other people when sharing a meal everyone always says "Oh, are you going to pick up dinner for everyone?" No, no I'm not.

For all the hype, I've only had it "recognized" maybe 8 or 10 times in its lifetime. You don't flash that thing at the door at the clubs, people never see it until you are paying for the bill. The chef isn't bringing you out special creations and the women aren't swooning. By the time you are paying, the party is over.

One time somebody said "why is it black" to which I responded "because it's for people with really bad credit." to which the clerk said, "If that was true, I'd have one."

I actually really like the benefits. The Delta status, the Hertz status, etc. I do contemplate the value every fall when that annual fee hits but so far, I've been ok with it.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
It's a relatively painless process if you feel you should be invited based on spend but have not been.
This may vary by market. In which country is your Centurion card issued?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Wait... why do you want a Centurion card if not to "gain" status?
gooselee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.