On Why American Express

Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I've been a member for a very long time myself and signed up for the CSR and then dropped it and kept my Platinum card. Amex does take care of me far better than Chase did, and that's why I keep using their cards over Chase. The only gripe I have currently is that I need to hold multiple cards in order to maximize point generation. I wish the Platinum would add dining bonus on it so I wouldn't need to carry around a Gold card or Visa as well. As of now, my Platinum is only used when I travel, which I do get significant utility from when using lounges, Uber and hotel status. But I guess Amex wants me to pay two annual fees instead of one!
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I figured that's probably the case, but that system of delaying points is asinine. No other CC issuer has such a convoluted system.
Wells Fargo is worse, but I completely agree with you.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:09 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I totally concur. I've been a member for 31 years, ever since I graduated college. Amex customer service has always been a delight to work with and has always had my back. Just last year I was vacationing overseas and got a concussion. The Platinum travel insurance was amazing; they not only comforted my wife by managing all the medical triage, they arranged and paid for me to be flown to the nearest American hospital and arranged and paid for all ground transportation, and communicated with the hospital before my arrival. After that experience, I'll never leave Amex.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
American Express has certainly established a solid market and brand. You can't deny that their level of customer service is unmatched. It is also a status symbol which is very important and TOUGH to do.

It will be interesting to see how the premium card market plays out. They've never been truly challenged in the premium card market until recently. Chase is also experiencing lots of card growth with the CSR far exceeding expectations. Chase is also a far bigger company than Amerian Express with deeper pockets.

To me, I still can't find enough value in the Platinum. It surely has some outstanding perks. However, it takes a significant amount of effort and planets aligning just to "break even" with the $550 AF, especially if you don't frequent Centurion lounges. I'm not looking to break even, or to go a little bit beyond. Chase's ecosystem has allowed me to pull in well into 4 digits worth of rewards per year, not factoring in welcome bonuses. That is worth more to me than a more convenient phone call to my credit card when I experience a problem once per year.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:55 am

I've been an Amex member since 93. I used to use it for everything but now there are other cards that offer more rewards better benifits. I just wish Amex MR points can be used towards all travel at 1% rate min like other cards and offer better Travel insurance like chase. Yesterday I tried to use my MR to book a hotel and they asked for 32k for $200 room vs CSR only required 13k UR points.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm a millennial. I got my first Amex card in 2014 when I was 29 years old, got the Amex Plat in 2015 before I turned 30. I can't help when I was born but I don't think my young age means I'm somehow less of a good customer than the OP.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm a millennial. I got my first Amex card in 2014 when I was 29 years old, got the Amex Plat in 2015 before I turned 30. I can't help when I was born but I don't think my young age means I'm somehow less of a good customer than the OP.
I feel you. However, when society bandies about millennials and their typical entitlement attitude or laziness, it is a stereotype. Or more simply, it can be used as a quick and dirty method to judge someone a la Ryan Bingham trying to clear security in Up in the Air. It is not 100% true but then again it never is.

Rest assured, AMEX will vet you AND judge you based on your value as a customer (and rightly so) instead of relying on potentially inaccurate leanings. You control your own destiny.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:24 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Maybe Platinum cards have their own dedicated service center, but in general with Amex I've had some of the most incompetent service of all the CC banks, except maybe 3rd tier players like USBank. It ranges from clueless support who don't know their product, to constant glitches with points posting.

Just today I got an email asking me to confirm receipt of a new Blue Business card. I've had the darn card for over a month now and have since paid one statement. I had to make sure it's not a phishing email or something. Oh and of course it's been 2 weeks since statement closed and I don't have the MR points posted still. Now have to waste time calling and getting confusing responses as to how it'll probably take another month.
I have been a "regular" (no annual fee cards) Amex customer for a long time, and I have received very good customer service on the few occasions I needed it (not a frequent "complainer"). Amex has been fairly responsive to my requests (relatively "low costs" to Amex, though). I have contemplated getting the Platinum card at different times all these years, but haven't been able to justify the hefty annual fee even after factoring in the values of advertised benefits. However, with some of the stories I have heard here about the Platinum CS going to bat when the members needed it most, I might have to reconsider.

LAX
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My bit of nostalgia...

I was a AU on my Mom's Plat card from the time I was 18 and had my generic card shortly thereafter, Old Blue! I became a primary Plat cardholder when I was ~26. Amex has gone to bat for me in purchase protections and been way easier to deal with than others with insurance and item protection issues. I tried calling Citi today about something that should have been processed 2 weeks ago and got transferred to a dead phone line. Now don't get me wrong I optimize where I can and hold premium products with both Chase and Citi as well, but Amex is OG, and quite frankly provides benefits that the others can't or choose to not replicate. Nearly all of my organic spend goes on Amex cards, with the exception of rental cars which goes on a Chase card because Amex annoyingly doesn't provide primary coverage. Chase however has cards that are incredibly easy to MS and UR are a valuable currency as well, so most of my Chase spend is MS.
Statman and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by ymx
I totally concur. I've been a member for 31 years, ever since I graduated college. Amex customer service has always been a delight to work with and has always had my back. Just last year I was vacationing overseas and got a concussion. The Platinum travel insurance was amazing; they not only comforted my wife by managing all the medical triage, they arranged and paid for me to be flown to the nearest American hospital and arranged and paid for all ground transportation, and communicated with the hospital before my arrival. After that experience, I'll never leave Amex.
Which insurance is this? Does this kind of coverage cost extra?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by moe8555
I know the UK has platinum travel insurance, the USA doesn't.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LeonardR
On today’s earning call Amex announced that they added 2.9 million cards and that “a significant share of people signing up for its Platinum card are millennial's.” Millennial's are smart! Nobody does consistently like Amex.

No, I don’t work for them, I’m just a long-time very appreciative member.
I know a millennial who got a Plat card recently. It will work for her and I suggested it to her. Between Uber, some airline travel (UA Gold) where she'll get 5 pts/$ + lounge access + fee credit, hotel benis etc. ... this works. Amex was smart to add the Uber benefit ... not a big one for me, but it differentiates and attracts millennials.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by moe8555
The USA Amex Platinum has worldwide medical evacuation insurance. It is a benefit of this card and you do not have to purchase a trip with this card to be covered.
It is one of the primary reasons I keep this card.
Biggie Fries and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:30 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bigbuy
The USA Amex Platinum has worldwide medical evacuation insurance. It is a benefit of this card and you do not have to purchase a trip with this card to be covered.
It is one of the primary reasons I keep this card.
Yes, this is part of the Premium Global Assist program that comes with the Platinum card:
https://www.americanexpress.com/cont..._Rev_09-17.pdf

I made my other family members additional cardholders on my Platinum account as they are also covered on their trips.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ymx
Yes, this is part of the Premium Global Assist program that comes with the Platinum card:
https://www.americanexpress.com/cont..._Rev_09-17.pdf

I made my other family members additional cardholders on my Platinum account as they are also covered on their trips.
I didn't know about this benefit. I received the Business Platinum couple moths ago so I will check to see if this benefit is covered under the Biz-Platinum. If it does, I wonder if this coverage is in effect even if not traveling for business.

It would appear that "covered family member" (spouse or domestic partner, dependent up to age 23, or age 26 if full-time student traveling on the same trip itinerary as the Card Member) is covered. So no need to make them (family members under age 23 or 26 full-time student) AU?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.