FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Targetted 10,000 MR points when spending $500+ at Hilton? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1920416-targetted-10-000-mr-points-when-spending-500-hilton.html)

acarney Jul 17, 2018 11:52 am

Targetted 10,000 MR points when spending $500+ at Hilton?

A couple days ago I redeemed a "earn 10,000 MR points after spending $600+ via AmexTravel" offer. I got that offer by making a ~$950 Hilton stay for late October. I booked a refundable rate via AmexTravel because I wasn't 100% sure of my travel plans but the offer was about to expire. Like three or four days later I got an email saying my platinum card was eligible for a 10,000 MR point bonus when spending $500+ at Hilton "now" through 10/15/18. Now that doesn't cover my travel dates... but it mentions you can hit this spend with more when one transaction and Hilton does have pre-paid rates.... sooo....

It turns out I need to adjust my travel dates by a couple days, which means I need to cancel the AmexTravel Hilton booking. I'm sad I'll miss out on 10k MR points, BUT, maybe I can score the 10k again by just rebooking a pre-paid rate via this Amex Hilton Offer? My question is, does anyone know if this is connected to having already booked a Hilton stay? If I cancel my Amex Travel booking, do you think my card will no longer be eligible for this second offer? Nowhere in the email does it state anything like "Because you recently booked a Hilton stay you qualify for another bonus!" or anything, in fact, these terms seem super lose compared to most Amex offers...

To redeem this offer, you must click "Book Now". Offer is available from 7/15/18 until 10/15/18. You must satisfy the spending threshold between the date you redeem this offer and 10/15/18. You may satisfy the spending threshold with more than one transaction. Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards program account within 8-12 weeks after Hilton purchase(s) appears on your monthly billing statement.

Terms and Conditions
To redeem this offer, you must click "Book Now". Offer is available from 7/15/18 until 10/15/18. You must satisfy the spending threshold between the date you redeem this offer and 10/15/18. You may satisfy the spending threshold with more than one transaction. Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards program account within 8-12 weeks after Hilton purchase(s) appears on your monthly billing statement.Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards® program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice.

The value of Membership Rewards points varies according to how you choose to use them. To learn more, go to www.membershiprewards.com/pointsinfo.

That's literally all the terms say... so I mean I guess this could even be good on buying Hilton gift cards? Anyone else see this offer or have experience with it?

acarney Jul 17, 2018 11:57 am

Update:

After clicking the enroll button via the link sent to my email I got this follow up email:

You can now start spending at Hilton properties with your Hilton Gold Status! If you spend $500 by October 15, 2018, you will earn 10,000 Membership Rewards Points!

We value your relationship with us. Thank you for using your American Express Card.

Sincerely,
American Express Customer Card
No links to the terms again, no additional details, nothing... Should I book a pre-paid rate and hope my plans don't change? Should I try to buy a $500+ gift card from Hilton.com and then book a refundable rate? Should I do either of those before I cancel my AmexTravel booking?

mia Jul 17, 2018 12:10 pm

If I recall correctly, Hilton prepaid stays are centrally billed, which means the card transaction will not be from a Hilton property. I cannot say if that will trigger the bonus.

acarney Jul 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29983964)
If I recall correctly, Hilton prepaid stays are centrally billed, which means the card transaction will not be from a Hilton property. I cannot say if that will trigger the bonus.

Do you know if you can buy Hilton gift cards directly in person at a Hilton property? Do you know if they use a portal like the online website (I think they redirect to buyhiltongiftcards.com or something). Can you even use Hilton gift cards to pay for a stay, or just extra charges that you charge to a room (breakfast, etc).

krazykanuck Jul 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 29983890)
Anyone else see this offer or have experience with it?

Was the email subject line, "acarney, enjoy a special offer through your Hilton Honors Gold Status Benefit" ?

If so, I got a similar offer and email, but my MR point bonus and spend required is different. So I don't think your using the Amex Travel booking had anything to do with triggering this.

acarney Jul 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 29984094)
Was the email subject line, "acarney, enjoy a special offer through your Hilton Honors Gold Status Benefit" ?

If so, I got a similar offer and email, but my MR point bonus and spend required is different. So I don't think your using the Amex Travel booking had anything to do with triggering this.

Yes it was. I thought it was odd since I'm not all that new of a gold member (held that status for 2 years from the card) and I activated my gold status with Amex 2 years ago as soon as I got the card...

Kagehitokiri Jul 18, 2018 1:02 pm

prepaid amex travel is different from regular hotel offers which often / usually say dont allow prepaid

acarney Jul 18, 2018 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 29988120)
prepaid amex travel is different from regular hotel offers which often / usually say dont allow prepaid

Right, which is why this surprises me so much. It came via email, didn't direct me to Amex Travel, and doesn't mention a specific site that it needs to be booked with. Just that the charge must come from Hilton...

srodr Jul 19, 2018 3:53 pm

I got a similar email offer for 'spend $250 at Hilton get 5000 points'. This was via email and I clicked to sign up, but I also have a current 'spend $250 at Hilton get $50 back' offer in my online offers. Combined it is a pretty sweet deal.

acarney Jul 20, 2018 2:40 am

Anyone confirm if gift card purchases triggers this? Or at least exactly what the gift card purchases codes as? Is it a “Hilton purchase” or something more vague/3rd party-ish?

My hotel dates are still pretty far out (oct 25th... 3 or 4 night stay) and two of the events I want to attend haven’t even announced firm dates yet, I’m just guesstimating based on last year’s dates...

Ideally I would like to lock in this offer via a gift card (purchased at a front desk if needed), lock in a semi-flex rate to ensure I have a room but also give me some wiggle room.

If I can’t do that, I fear a pre-paid rate will screw me over by needing to adjust my stay by a day or two, or it’ll be a day too long etc. OR, if I wait until event dates are announced then room rates will shoot up and MR points won’t outweigh the extra room cost >.<

acarney Jul 23, 2018 3:25 pm

I'm surprised no one has tried to see if gift cards or pre-paid rates work with this, I haven't even seen any of the credit blogs posting a follow up with this.... unless Amex is taking longer then usual to show the points being credited...

flyershmlyer Jul 24, 2018 2:22 am

mine already posted. this was fast!

acarney Jul 24, 2018 10:52 am

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer (Post 30006937)
mine already posted. this was fast!

What was the purchase that triggered it? Standard stay at Hilton that you already completed? Pre-paid stay that you booked but haven't completed yet? Gift card purchase from the front desk?

flyershmlyer Jul 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 30008280)
What was the purchase that triggered it? Standard stay at Hilton that you already completed? Pre-paid stay that you booked but haven't completed yet? Gift card purchase from the front desk?

Pre-paid stay booked but haven't completed yet

acarney Jul 25, 2018 10:48 am

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer (Post 30009347)
Pre-paid stay booked but haven't completed yet

Thanks! That's a great data point and probably what I'll have to do. Are your stay dates within the offer window? Mine will be just outside it (very late Oct) but I figure they look at when the charge hits the card and not when the stay takes place...