Wiki Posts
Search

Using Paypal to hit min spend

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Question Using Paypal to hit min spend

Wondering if Paypal can be used towards min spend with Amex cards.

Thx in advance!

Last edited by coljung; Jul 26, 2018 at 11:34 am Reason: shorten
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:10 pm

I'm confused why you couldn't directly use the Amex to purchase the stuff online... or did you find somewhere online that doesn't accept Amex?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by acarney
or did you find somewhere online that doesn't accept Amex?
That was my assumption when reading the post.

Regards
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acarney
I'm confused why you couldn't directly use the Amex to purchase the stuff online... or did you find somewhere online that doesn't accept Amex?
Originally Posted by scubadu
That was my assumption when reading the post.

Regards
It's simple, many stores here accept Paypal online but are unable to refund via Paypal in store. So that refund is made in cash/debit. And basically to Amex / Paypal the transaction went through, because it was never refunded through them.

So, getting back to my question, would Paypal transactions count towards min spend ?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by coljung
It's simple, many stores here accept Paypal online but are unable to refund via Paypal in store. So that refund is made in cash/debit. And basically to Amex / Paypal the transaction went through, because it was never refunded through them.

So, getting back to my question, would Paypal transactions count towards min spend ?
Soooo.... you're planning to make large purchases through Paypal with Amex backing, and then return them to the store for cash? That's fraud, and against Amex T&Cs. So no, that's not a good idea. It's manufactured spend.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by captaindomon
Soooo.... you're planning to make large purchases through Paypal with Amex backing, and then return them to the store for cash? That's fraud, and against Amex T&Cs. So no, that's not a good idea. It's manufactured spend.
Not to mention it probably costs these stores money to accept paypal. So you are fine with making a business (especially if it is a small business) pay the price so you can MS? Not cool.
Statman and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:22 am

Ya, that sounds a lot more fishy and like someone is going to care. I wouldn't risk it with large sums, the best is Amex just catches on and kicks you out (wonder if they would also disable your Canadian cards?) worst case someone wants to dig deeper to see what's going on (stolen credit card, money laundering, etc).

Find an airline or hotel or something with really generous change terms and book travel really really far in advance to hit min spend? Then changes dates somewhere down the road to something you'll actually be able to use? I mean that's still not terrible honest, but at least the money is staying with the company and being spent for it's intended reason...

I know people play this kind of game to keep companion fares valid as long as possible, etc
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

Last edited by coljung; Jul 26, 2018 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would not play games with paypal unless you want to find your account frozen, potentially with your money locked up in it.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Even for legitimate purchases (not purchase/return games) I could see Paypal counting as a "cash equivalent" since anyone can send anyone else a Paypal payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.