Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Travel Collection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

The Travel Collection

So, I was browsing the travel benefits of my Platinum card and saw The Travel Collection at the very bottom of the page. It looks like it is part of a big travel agency conglomerate. Normally, membership costs $295 per year, but is free for a lot of American Express cardmembers. Their website says they can get discounts on several travel providers, including United Airlines. Has anyone tried this? I have a call in right now about a flight I was going to book anyway, so I'll see if they have a better offer.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I do not recall previously seeing that feature listed. Travel Leaders Group is a spin-off from Carlson:

https://www.travelleadersgroup.com/about-us/

...with many operating brands:

https://www.travelleadersgroup.com/our-brands/
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:54 pm

I called to enroll in this benefit earlier today. The airlines with discounts of some sort are (in no particular order):

United (includes Lufthansa transatlantic flights marketed by UA and ANA transpacific flights marked by UA),
Aereolineas Argentinas,
Air Europa,
Air New Zealand,
Avianca,
Cathay Pacific,
Copa,
Fiji Airways
Qantas,
Qatar.

I'd be curious what the discount amount is; the terms state that it can vary based on fare class. Note that some of these discounts only apply on certain routes and may not be available for partner flights marketed by the discounted airline.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

travel leaders also available via travel agents?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
This seems interesting. I'd like to know the discount on United. I'm not holding my breath though.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:36 pm

Never saw this before. I will check it out as well on Amex site
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:03 pm

Just enrolled now. There is no way this model can scale. You have to call to enroll and after making an on line account you realize no rates are published. I called back to get a price on a sample United flight. While all the reps are nice, they put you on hold for a few minutes just to pull up basic airfare.

UA.com
11/10/2018 - 11/17/2018
SJC-EWR
1,033.40 RT (P fare)

TheTravelCollection
11/10/2018 - 11/17/2018
SJC-EWR
3,458.81 RT (first quote was a refundable ticket option)
I asked for the cheapest first class fare and was put on hold for another 5 minutes ...
1,033.41 RT

Wasted 10 minutes and their flights turns out to be a penny more I also assume booking with this agency wouldn't count for 5x airfare on the personal platinum since its not "direct with the airline". Seems like another fake benefit.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by JHake10
Just enrolled now. There is no way this model can scale. You have to call to enroll and after making an on line account you realize no rates are published. I called back to get a price on a sample United flight. While all the reps are nice, they put you on hold for a few minutes just to pull up basic airfare.

UA.com
11/10/2018 - 11/17/2018
SJC-EWR
1,033.40 RT (P fare)

TheTravelCollection
11/10/2018 - 11/17/2018
SJC-EWR
3,458.81 RT (first quote was a refundable ticket option)
I asked for the cheapest first class fare and was put on hold for another 5 minutes ...
1,033.41 RT

Wasted 10 minutes and their flights turns out to be a penny more I also assume booking with this agency wouldn't count for 5x airfare on the personal platinum since its not "direct with the airline". Seems like another fake benefit.
I'm wary just because, from the list of brands, they include "Crucon", and the one time I looked at them, I didn't like that they charged a cancellation fee in addition to whatever the cruise line did. I'll stick to Costco Travel and get my 2% executive rebate and 3% cash back (I'd only get 1x MR on my Plat card for a cruise).
JHake10 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:15 pm

I can't really figure out why AMEX is pushing another travel agency when they have AMEX Travel. Gig103, you'd get 2X MR on a cruise if you booked it with them.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... assume booking with this agency wouldn't count for 5x airfare on the personal platinum since its not "direct with the airline". Seems like another fake benefit.
Depends how the transaction is processed. Tickets booked through an agency are often billed directly by the airline.
JHake10 and roundtree like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

They had the exact same prices as United.com. They also charge a $39 per ticket fee, which they are currently refunding since they are new. The lady I spoke with said that buying plane tickets through them would still earn 5 points per dollar.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by mattrag
They had the exact same prices as United.com. They also charge a $39 per ticket fee, which they are currently refunding since they are new. The lady I spoke with said that buying plane tickets through them would still earn 5 points per dollar.
For United specifically, I'm not seeing any benefit. Same price and you need to call and wait on hold just to get a price. We'll see if this gets any better.

Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
The Points Guy has a very short list of Travel Collection prices vs. Google Flights. Looks like it might be interesting, but mostly not. As others have said, calling to get a price is like having your travel agent look it up in one of those old, OAG books. As they deal with boutique hotels, it looks like their business proposition is based on “exclusivity” and “prestige.”

Last edited by spainflyer; Jul 21, 2018 at 11:37 am
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
This has been exactly my experience. Thus, I never even check anymore.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat
Hotels - No real benefits when looking up hotels in Tokyo

Looked up hotel prices for a trip to Tokyo. The hotels with the added benefits were priced much higher than the hotel prices available online using google... Wasted a bunch of time with this one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.