Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Membership Rewards Canada - What is Plan B if Aeroplan J Class disappears?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,

I have started to think alot more about June 2020, when the "new" Aeroplan comes into effect. I have always kept my spend on my Amex, and converted to Aeroplan for J class tickets. It is fantastic value. I tried to dwindle down my points, but work spend has them already back up to 600K MR's, so I am wondering what happens if Aeroplan changes to a useless program with no MR transfer, and if the new Air Canada program doesn't have any MR transfer?

What do we do with all of these MR's? I'm not aware of any other good Canadian transfer partners at reasonable rates? Where else can we get RT business class flights for 80-90K to Europe, and 150K to Asia?

Should we start collecting MBNA Alaska miles to convert to SPG? The Amex SPG is gone now, so I am a little stumped on where to be collecting or what to be doing with MR's right now?

Anyone else pondered this?
unclepants likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Well, you can still collect starpoints until august, so load up. There are still useful transfer partners for canadian AX, BA for one (in certain circumstances). In general, I'd burn what you've got but dont' fret the future.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Yeah the SPG points are good, especially if you want to redeem one of the higher profile SPG hotels when the award rate temporarily drops in August, although you would need to transfer before then if SPG goes away. Not sure if they will add Marriott as transfer partner.

Cathay would be a great deal if it was 1:1... I would imagine come 2020, AMEX will probably drop Aeroplan and add Air Canada. Aeroplan will turn into an AirMiles type of program, which would significantly devalue Membership Rewards in Canada.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what are transfer partners for amex international cards?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
what are transfer partners for amex international cards?
See the Wikipost at the top of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l-program.html

Different in every country, and cards issued anywhere other than USA apply foreign transaction fee when used in another currency.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good point, the fee kills it for canadians
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:29 am

You may convert the MR to travel dollar at 1,000 points to $10 or use the Fixed Points Travel Programme. There are still many other loyalty programmes that you can transfer your MR points besides Aeroplan, e.g., Alitalia, BA, DL, CX, Hilton, SPG although SPG is unclear with the merger of the SPG and Marriott programmes in August 2018.

Finding J redemption seats on Aeroplan have been increasingly difficult in the past few years, especially on Air Canada. Other *A airlines open redemption seats to other *A airlines but not Aeroplan. One example is that BR J redemption availability is generally more plentiful ex-USA than ex-Canada. More than once, I could find redemption availability through other programmes but not Aeroplan. Aeroplan has been on life support for a while and it will be unplugged and buried in June 2020. Poor management is the culprit.
I have stopped collecting Aeroplan points and am working very hard to burn whatever I have!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by canesfan
Yeah the SPG points are good, especially if you want to redeem one of the higher profile SPG hotels when the award rate temporarily drops in August, although you would need to transfer before then if SPG goes away. Not sure if they will add Marriott as transfer partner.

Cathay would be a great deal if it was 1:1... I would imagine come 2020, AMEX will probably drop Aeroplan and add Air Canada. Aeroplan will turn into an AirMiles type of program, which would significantly devalue Membership Rewards in Canada.
Two years ago when Air Miles tried to expire all miles that resulted in a "run" on its mileage bank, it acted very nastily in curtailing redemption by blocking availability. With great difficulties, I was finally able to clean out my "Dream" account and now only collect Air Miles passively to the "Cash" account. Redeem as soon as I have collected enough miles.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I'm going to England in September and booked it a few months ago. No J awards for my dates on Aeroplan, but there was avaialbility on BA. I was able to get J to LHR and F return. Problem was it took 4 or 5 days for the MR points to transfer to BA, and I was sure the availability would disappear while I waited for the transfer to go through,
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Clipper801
You may convert the MR to travel dollar at 1,000 points to $10 or use the Fixed Points Travel Programme. There are still many other loyalty programmes that you can transfer your MR points besides Aeroplan, e.g., Alitalia, BA, DL, CX, Hilton, SPG although SPG is unclear with the merger of the SPG and Marriott programmes in August 2018.

Finding J redemption seats on Aeroplan have been increasingly difficult in the past few years, especially on Air Canada. Other *A airlines open redemption seats to other *A airlines but not Aeroplan. One example is that BR J redemption availability is generally more plentiful ex-USA than ex-Canada. More than once, I could find redemption availability through other programmes but not Aeroplan. Aeroplan has been on life support for a while and it will be unplugged and buried in June 2020. Poor management is the culprit.
I have stopped collecting Aeroplan points and am working very hard to burn whatever I have!

1000 points for $10 is 1% return. That is pathetic.

I routinely fly on $10,000 business class flights, for 150,000 MR points . That is a a 6.7% return, which is more in the range of what I look for. And flying J is very easy to find, if you know how to search. ExpertFlyer is your friend.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
1000 points for $10 is 1% return. That is pathetic.

I routinely fly on $10,000 business class flights, for 150,000 MR points . That is a a 6.7% return, which is more in the range of what I look for. And flying J is very easy to find, if you know how to search. ExpertFlyer is your friend.
Great if your experience with Aeroplan J reward has been easy to find. Good for you!

Last edited by Clipper801; Jun 28, 2018 at 6:27 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I am putting more of our MR to BA as the transfer partner- wait for the transfer bonus that seems to be offered at least annually and get more on the (current) 1:1 transfer. Using the AA portal lets me see what flights have availability then I book via BA.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what are the single airline credit cards in canada?

RBC does one world
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allbrosca
I'm going to England in September and booked it a few months ago. No J awards for my dates on Aeroplan, but there was avaialbility on BA. I was able to get J to LHR and F return. Problem was it took 4 or 5 days for the MR points to transfer to BA, and I was sure the availability would disappear while I waited for the transfer to go through,
Out of curiosity, how many points is this?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Don't leave us hanging! Did the availability remain by the time you got the MR points transferred to Avios?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.