Would you pay $1.90 for 240 MRs?

Old Jun 21, 18, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Would you pay $1.90 for 240 MRs?

I'm curious....

I always pay my electric bill from my bank, because there's a fixed $1.90 fee for using credit. As I start to think about maximizing MRs, and my electric bill being $240 this month (yay Arizona summer + a Tesla to charge at night), would you pay the surcharge to earn the MRs? What's your break even point? Do you go by the flat > 1% rule? Do you use TPG's valuation of ~1.8 cents per MR?
Old Jun 21, 18, 8:38 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
I can get 2-3 cents per MR on plane tickets I'd be willing to buy with cash. If rewards are my main consideration in picking a card (as opposed to travel insurance, warranty, etc.) I plan using a 2 cents per MR value.

I also have a Schwab Platinum, so in a worst case scenario (award chart nerfs, I stop flying as much, I can't find award space) my MRs are worth 1.25 cents each.

240 MRs are worth $3 minimum to me, and probably $5 or $6. So I'd absolutely pay $1.90 for them. And I suppose you'd technically earn 242 MRs, as you'd earn rewards on the surcharge.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jun 21, 18, 8:40 pm

My Electric utility has a flat fee for credit card payments, but you can pay up to $600 at a time. It might be worth it to consider "paying ahead" or "overpaying" and only paying every few months.
Diplomatico and GreenWing like this.
Old Jun 21, 18, 8:57 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by keifernny View Post
My Electric utility has a flat fee for credit card payments, but you can pay up to $600 at a time. It might be worth it to consider "paying ahead" or "overpaying" and only paying every few months.
THIS. If it's a fixed fee, pay several months' at a time and reduce the "bite" from the fee.

But yeah, I'd pay $1.90 for 240 MR points.
GreenWing likes this.
Old Jun 21, 18, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by keifernny View Post
Oh that's a great idea! It says I can pay up to $750 which makes it a no brainer. Now if only I could convince my wife that a Blue Business Plus was worth it, then it'd be 1500 MR for $1.90

Last edited by Gig103; Jun 21, 18 at 10:43 pm
Old Jun 21, 18, 10:47 pm

Yup. I pay my electric company $996.65 about once a year. With the fee it's $1000 even. If there's a payment maximum, I don't know about it. Worth doing at least a couple months at a time if you have the cash handy.

Seth
Old Jun 21, 18, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Absent a promotion, I'd have to spend $240 to get 240 points on my card, so I'd leap at $1.90 instead.
Old Jun 22, 18, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Even better, pay $0 for 240 MR by using Arcadia Power https://www.arcadiapower.com/.
Old Jun 22, 18, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
Absent a promotion, I'd have to spend $240 to get 240 points on my card, so I'd leap at $1.90 instead.
No, no, no. You pay $240 to get $240 worth of goods and services AND 240 MR points. This is paying $1.90 just for 240 MR. Big difference.
gooselee, garykung and Beltway2A like this.
Old Jun 22, 18, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
I'm curious....

I always pay my electric bill from my bank, because there's a fixed $1.90 fee for using credit. As I start to think about maximizing MRs, and my electric bill being $240 this month (yay Arizona summer + a Tesla to charge at night), would you pay the surcharge to earn the MRs? What's your break even point? Do you go by the flat > 1% rule? Do you use TPG's valuation of ~1.8 cents per MR?
If you are willing to branch out to earning cash back, the US Bank Cash+ card allows you to choose utilities as one of your 5% back categories. It looks like your utility bills are high enough that it might be worth considering. The utilities category also includes natural gas service, water, and trash pick-up companies.
Old Jun 22, 18, 8:56 am

Programs: Some...
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer View Post
No, no, no. You pay $240 to get $240 worth of goods and services AND 240 MR points. This is paying $1.90 just for 240 MR. Big difference.
OP has the choice : pay $240 and earn 0 MR or pay 241.9$ and earn 240~242 MR.

So he will get $240 worth of goods and services

He won't just pay $1.9 and get 240 MR
Old Jun 22, 18, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by thibderoc View Post
OP has the choice : pay $240 and earn 0 MR or pay 241.9$ and earn 240~242 MR.

So he will get $240 worth of goods and services

He won't just pay $1.9 and get 240 MR
Sorry, I'm not seeing what you're saying is different from mine.
Old Jun 22, 18, 5:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer View Post
Sorry, I'm not seeing what you're saying is different from mine.
The two of you appear to be in violent agreement.
mia, krazykanuck, gooselee and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 18, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by cloudybw View Post
Even better, pay $0 for 240 MR by using Arcadia Power https://www.arcadiapower.com/.
At least for my area it says you still pay you local utility and then just pay a $0.015/kWh surcharge. So he would have to use less then 126kWh a month to break even, if he used more then the credit card processing fee would be cheaper.
Old Jun 24, 18, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you haven't yet, check to make sure the utility accepts Amex.

I have two utilities that accept credit card payments somehow (one directly, one through a separate site). One of them explains how to find the 4-digit security code on the front of an Amex, but then neither of them actually takes Amex, only Visa/MC. (I actually tried an Amex on the site that gave the 4-digit Amex security code explanation, but it said card type not accepted.)

Whether you'd earn Membership Rewards is not a consideration if the utility doesn't actually support paying with Amex.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: