Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surprise, I don't miss Costco

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
I find shopping at Costco Online through Google Express to be the best of all worlds. You get Costco quality goods (Kirkland Signature) at almost Costco prices (better with the frequent 20 - 25% off promotions), delivered to your door, all while using American Express.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:17 pm

when you thought associates could not be less helpful

I asked the man loading burger patties into the fridge whether they had Hot Pocket. He responded
"Yes. They would be in the food section. Frozen food."
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Blind and Green
I find shopping at Costco Online through Google Express to be the best of all worlds. You get Costco quality goods (Kirkland Signature) at almost Costco prices (better with the frequent 20 - 25% off promotions), delivered to your door, all while using American Express.
I noticed that my Express profile asked for my Costco membership#. Are you saying that's optional? Just curious for my family, I have no plans on stopping my membership.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by hockeystl
The AmEx change got me to try Sams in my area last year....and (GASP!) I actually prefer Sams because....

1) The gas pump line is rarely more than one or two deep. Costco is consistently 5-10 cars deep and you better bring a book if you dare try to get Costco gas on a weekend.
Exact opposite in most markets now that Walmart shuttered so many Sams Club locations, but Costco didn't... but obviously YMMV.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 3:52 pm

So got a Sam's Club card cause the gas lines are much shorter than Costco. But surprise, the service is worst (well, $45 vs $60 a year for membership). Found a location with gas, but somehow Google Maps says it is closed. The website doesn't mention that, even lists the price of gas that day for the location.
Call in to speak to someone in the store, press 0, hold for 3 minutes then it disconnects. Try again, 5 minutes. Try the tire department. Same thing. Finally press a random department (turns out it is bakery) and speak to someone, who confirms gas station is closed.

I guess you get what you pay for.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So got a Sam's Club card cause the gas lines are much shorter than Costco.
There's a reason for that! Costco gasoline is certified to Top Tier standards. I also made the mistake of getting a Sams membership and do regret it. Customer Service is very poor.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 5:57 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
So got a Sam's Club card cause the gas lines are much shorter than Costco. But surprise, the service is worst (well, $45 vs $60 a year for membership). Found a location with gas, but somehow Google Maps says it is closed. The website doesn't mention that, even lists the price of gas that day for the location.
Call in to speak to someone in the store, press 0, hold for 3 minutes then it disconnects. Try again, 5 minutes. Try the tire department. Same thing. Finally press a random department (turns out it is bakery) and speak to someone, who confirms gas station is closed.

I guess you get what you pay for.
Is Sam’s Club Top Tiergasoline, though?
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So got a Sam's Club card cause the gas lines are much shorter than Costco.
This used to be true in my part of Houston, and a large part of why I kept a Sam's membership on and off. Lately though the Sam's gas looks like the same swarm of locusts that Costco is.

Lately I mostly get gas at the Valero by my apartment. It's a few cents per gallon more than Costco, but I drive a small fuel efficient car and my sanity is worth the 50 cent premium to fill up vs. waiting 20 minutes.

Originally Posted by 355F1
Is Sam’s Club Top Tiergasoline, though?
It's more/less meaningless marketing jargon. Signed, the guy who has worked in the energy industry his whole career.
mia, Statman, _kurt and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Honestly, I couldn't think of a more inconvenient fuel experience than a warehouse club. My closest one is 20 minutes out of the way. I don't want to have to plan my day around getting gas either. Costco is 13 cents cheaper than the gas station down the street from me.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:14 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Honestly, I couldn't think of a more inconvenient fuel experience than a warehouse club. My closest one is 20 minutes out of the way. I don't want to have to plan my day around getting gas either. Costco is 13 cents cheaper than the gas station down the street from me.
Costco is roughy 30 cents cheaper per gallon for Premium here. And it is less than a 5-min drive from my house.

Our gas savings alone covers our annual membership fee.

They are also a very nice company to transact with.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:54 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Like near my house.....Costco gas is always 30 cents less than surrounding gas stations.....which pays for my membership many times over a 12-month period.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/20/busin...bjs/index.html

Last edited by 355F1; Nov 21, 2021 at 12:03 pm
Old Nov 20, 2021, 4:19 pm

I often look at the gas station when i go to Costco or sam's club and when it's short enough on lines, i get gas because it is generally about 30 cents a gallon cheaper, which is a solid 4-6 bucks savings. Thing is, about 80 percent of the time, the lines are so long that it isn't worth waiting 20 minutes to save 4 bucks to me. Every now and then it works out when I'm in the area there.
DJ_Iceman and krazykanuck like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.