Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX sent me a check in lieu of promotional MR points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)

Slightly odd one this..

Last summer there was a promotion on my Platinum Card where if you add a supplementary account holder and they spend $500 within 60 days or 90 days or something you'll receive 5000 MR points. Seemed a pretty good deal and I'd only just got myself up and running with a Platinum Card again. I added my wife and her two parents and they spent the necessary amount in time. My wife's points showed up (Posted as "Plat 5K MR Pts/Supp spend $500") but those for my inlaws did not. I chased AMEX up a couple of times on the chat function and both time was told there were "pending MR points to post and they might be in there" so keep an eye out. They never showed up and I had almost forgotten about it.

Today I receive a check for $100 and the letter references additional supplementary cardholders. Seems a weird resolution to the issue. Why not send me the MR points? Cash is king but $100 isn't really a decent cash option compared to 10,000 MRs, IMO.

Anyone else receive this? Anyone else follow up and request cash?
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I saw a number of posts on reddit of people reporting the same thing. Checks mysteriously appearing from nowhere and the only commonality was missing points from last years AU debacle.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I saw a number of posts on reddit of people reporting the same thing. Checks mysteriously appearing from nowhere and the only commonality was missing points from last years AU debacle.
I saw the same posts.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Jun 17, 2018 at 8:34 am
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:15 am

I received a letter from Amex stating that they are doing this and sorry for the error. I still have not received a check
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Fraser
Why not send me the MR points?
In some cases, it may be easier for a credit card issuer to cut you a check rather than post the missing points.

Originally Posted by Fraser
Cash is king but $100 isn't really a decent cash option compared to 10,000 MRs, IMO.
While your opinion is respected, 10K MR is worth exactly $100, because MR offers AMEX GC redemption in the same rate. AMEX has not short-changed you.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Also received a check yesterday but for a different card and was in lieu of a signup bonus. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29876824-post4.html
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by garykung
In some cases, it may be easier for a credit card issuer to cut you a check rather than post the missing points.

While your opinion is respected, 10K MR is worth exactly $100, because MR offers AMEX GC redemption in the same rate. AMEX has not short-changed you.
I understand where Amex is coming from on this valuation, but for someone who is transferring points to an airline partner, there is a potential for > $0.01 per point. A random DeltaOne flight I priced was $0.012/point when transferred to Skymiles. Or, business plat customers get 35% of their points back on Amex Travel which would be $0.0135/point if I'm doing that correctly.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus

10,000 MR = $50 in AMEX Gift Cards
10,000 MR = $60 in Statement Credits
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Gig103
I understand where Amex is coming from on this valuation, but for someone who is transferring points to an airline partner, there is a potential for > $0.01 per point. A random DeltaOne flight I priced was $0.012/point when transferred to Skymiles. Or, business plat customers get 35% of their points back on Amex Travel which would be $0.0135/point if I'm doing that correctly.
Correct or not, it does not matter - AMEX dictate the terms here.

Originally Posted by jags86
10,000 MR = $50 in AMEX Gift Cards
10,000 MR = $60 in Statement Credits
Thanks for pointing the mistake. Still, the wrong value won't change the conclusion.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Correct or not, it does not matter - AMEX dictate the terms here.

Thanks for pointing the mistake. Still, the wrong value won't change the conclusion.
While your opinion is respected, you are wrong... AMEX has short-changed the OP. The OP did not receive what was agreed upon in the offer.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
While your opinion is respected, you are wrong... AMEX has short-changed the OP. The OP did not receive what was agreed upon in the offer.
The value of MR is a street valuation, which does not reflect AMEX's official position on this.

And yes - you are correct that OP did not receive what was agreed upon in the offer. The issue is AMEX has mitigated the issue by the $100 check. Assuming OP is so pissed off that OP takes AMEX to Small Claims (Note - AMEX employs mandatory arbitration with a class action waiver), OP will need to show the value of MR to the Court. I doubt that the Court will accept the valuation method based on an indirect transaction (i.e. AMEX>FFP>Award ticket).
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
About a year ago, I referred a friend for the bonus MR points for the Amex Plat. I never got the bonus in spite of numerous phone calls promising a fix for the problem. Finally, i just gave up. Last week i got a letter saying they were putting a credit in my account for the missing bonus. I was pleasantly surprised. But no bonus ever showed up. A few days after the first letter, i got another one saying there would be no bonus because they had already given me the points bonus. Is Amex going through some sort of management crisis? This is pathetic customer service.
Yesterday I cancelled the card making sure I had used the $200 airline credit and the Uber for this month.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

How much would it cost OP to buy 10k MR?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:52 am

Reimbursed for unissued 5X MR points?

I had a Plat that I cancelled in early 2018. Among other things, in 2017 I charged two F tickets to Europe thru AMEX Travel Services. (Wanted to get their Int'l Airline Program discount.)
Now, I just received a live check for several hundred dollars, ~12 mos after the purchase, 6 mos after acct closed.

"Because of an error, we were unable to successfully update the email with the correct benefit disclosure to instruct you how to correctly redeem the 5X MR points."
To make things right, we enclosed a check as reimbursement for the value of the MR points that we were unable to issue before your card was cancelled."

I'm certain the 5X MR points posted back then. This check looks to value the unissued MR points at 1 cent.
Not quite sure what this is all about, but not complaining! Have others received this too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.