Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do your spending habits determine what Amex Offers you see?

Old Jun 16, 18, 10:23 am
Original Poster

I'm sure the answer is yes, but haven't see any data to support it.

A few years ago when I was a more heavy Amex user, the offers I saw in the portal were much better. Once I stopped using the card regularly the quality of the offers certainly dropped.

If I start using the card more, will I see better offers? Example - last night I used my card at a hotel bar in a SPG hotel. This morning, I see an offer for $60 back after spending $300 at SPG Hotels and Resorts. Coincidence or part of an algorithm?
Old Jun 16, 18, 10:30 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by WantsAmex View Post
.... This morning, I see an offer for $60 back after spending $300 at SPG Hotels and Resorts. Coincidence or part of an algorithm?
Coincidence. Discussion here with one member reporting the offer on nine cards.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post29872784
Old Jun 16, 18, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WantsAmex View Post
I'm sure the answer is yes, but haven't see any data to support it.

A few years ago when I was a more heavy Amex user, the offers I saw in the portal were much better. Once I stopped using the card regularly the quality of the offers certainly dropped.

If I start using the card more, will I see better offers?
Or maybe worse offers in some ways, while better is other ways?

Ie, if you use the card for merchants for whom offers are upcoming, you may not get those offers when they arrive.

For example, I used my card for a Best Western a couple months ago, and now I can't find the Best Western offer in my account than many other people see in theirs. I see SPG offers, Hilton offers, only on cards that I haven't for those hotels anytime recently.
Old Jun 16, 18, 11:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Some offers also seem to appear if you don't use your card for those purchases already. I often see Amex Offers for cell phone, cable, etc. companies. My Mom doesn't. The difference being I don't charge any of those to my Amex cards, they all go on my Chase Ink. My Mom has all those on auto bill to her Amex, so why reward people for what they're already doing? Just one anecdote but many of the lucrative offers seem to have some amount of logic behind them.
Old Jun 18, 18, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
Some offers also seem to appear if you don't use your card for those purchases already. I often see Amex Offers for cell phone, cable, etc. companies. My Mom doesn't. The difference being I don't charge any of those to my Amex cards, they all go on my Chase Ink. My Mom has all those on auto bill to her Amex, so why reward people for what they're already doing? Just one anecdote but many of the lucrative offers seem to have some amount of logic behind them.
Yes, that's what I was trying to say in the post right above yours. I have the BW offer on my Everyday card, which I never use for hotels. I don't have it on my PRG card, which I did use for BW earlier this year. And I don't have it on my Blue for Business card, which I did use for BW last year. (I don't have it on my Hilton card, which I've never used for BW, but it's not surprising that they might not put competing hotel brand offers on a hotel-specific card.)

And that shows that it doesn't have to as obvious as auto-billing. it could have been just one month you charged it to that card, and who knows how long that locks out offers on that card from then on?
Old Jun 19, 18, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are zillions of repeats, do people who use them every time really keep getting them over and over?
Old Jun 20, 18, 11:18 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I seem to get nothing but offers on wine purchases or clothes shops, even though I've never bought wine or clothes online.

The only ones I ever use are offers that give some kind of travel credit or cashback for flights/hotels and I use them close to 100% of the time. Even so, I can practically go from one year to the next without seeing something useful like that.
Old Jun 20, 18, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
I seem to get nothing but offers on wine purchases or clothes shops, even though I've never bought wine or clothes online.

The only ones I ever use are offers that give some kind of travel credit or cashback for flights/hotels and I use them close to 100% of the time. Even so, I can practically go from one year to the next without seeing something useful like that.
In general, I agree; although, I was able to take advantage of $10 back on $40 at Etsy recently, and have a 10% rebate for Starbucks added, though I rarely go there.
Old Jun 20, 18, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when travel offers are used, do they keep repeating as often as is reported ?

competition is likely a factor, like hilton and marriott and others doing offers
Old Jun 23, 18, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Maybe a coincidence but, used my Plat card at a luxury hotel (St.Regis). Few days later, I see an offer for $50 off $250 at the Fountainbleu (another luxury hotel)
Old Jun 23, 18, 4:39 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Ms mia did not use her Platinum Card at any hotel. Now she also sees the Fountainbleu offer.
Old Jun 23, 18, 5:32 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Ms mia did not use her Platinum Card at any hotel. Now she also sees the Fountainbleu offer.
And I got Fontainebleau after staying at a Hampton Inn. So that means an offer after a cheap hotel, a luxury hotel, and no hotel. A lot of the luxury travel and clothing offers seem more like advertisements than actual bargains.

When Amex did a Hulu offer, I had Hulu billed to my Platinum each month. I didn't get the offer on any of my (4? 5?) cards.
Old Jun 23, 18, 6:01 pm
mia

Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14 View Post
.... offers seem more like advertisements than actual bargains.....
Correct, Amex Offers is an advertising program. It's ideal when we can redeem an offer for a purchase we were already intending to make.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jun 23, 18, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i get pretty much every travel offer (have never used) but i never get things like grocery spend on personal plat

wish the savings tab worked, because i have used extremely few, but still a few more than what is shown
Old Jun 23, 18, 9:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Correct, Amex Offers is an advertising program. It's ideal when we can redeem an offer for a purchase we were already intending to make.
Yep. Like I pretty much never see the Delta amex offers, I'm guessing because Amex knows I fly Delta anyway through my purchases or my Sky Club swipes with my Platinum card. The offers I continually get even though I keep using them are the Hilton offers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: