Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Old Nov 26, 18, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 150K upgrade to Aspire was in both our accounts for MONTHS then disappeared.

We went on a month long international trip and got back on late night Thanksgiving Day. On Saturday when I finally got around to look at card activities etc I saw a 150K upgrade to Ascend offer sitting in my AMEX offers under the no fee Hilton card. Husband's offer remains to Aspire.

Given the Aspire 150K upgrade has been in and out at least 3 times I dont see it will go away anytime soon.

I may bite the 150K Ascend upgrade in late Dec when ready to pay some bills but not now.

UPDATE
Received an email for Ascend 150K upgrade offer for husband's account. His was to Aspire shown in his AMEX online as recent as 2 days ago. Now he received the 150K Ascend offer.
There is no mentioning of expiration date either in the email or on the offer landing page (which requires you to log in to go further).
A friend who was not eligible for Ascend upgrade before, now found he was eligible thru the offer page after he logged in.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 27, 18 at 4:07 pm
Old Dec 2, 18, 8:43 am

My wife is targeted for the 150k Aspire offer, which she’s signing up for today. Today is also the only day Target is selling gift cards for 10% off. If she upgrades this morning and uses her existing no-fee card to make purchases later tofay, will those purchases count toward the $4k spend requirement?
Old Dec 2, 18, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
My wife is targeted for the 150k Aspire offer, which she’s signing up for today. Today is also the only day Target is selling gift cards for 10% off. If she upgrades this morning and uses her existing no-fee card to make purchases later today, will those purchases count toward the $4k spend requirement?
Only if she waits to make the purchases after the Amex website shows her card as Aspire,which may or may not be later today (given that today is a Sunday, and it's after 11 am PT / 2 pm ET as I write this). In my case, I upgraded very early PT (early ET) on Friday morning and it was the evening PT before my card showed as Aspire online.

I've been told by Amex CSRs that purchases before the Amex website shows it as Aspire that may not count.

Of course, the question with any online store is: Do they charge when you make the purchase, or only when they ship it? I don't know it works for Target, Amazon doesn't tend to charge until they ship it for purchases that it ships, but they charge right away for third-party merchants.
Old Dec 2, 18, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Only if she waits to make the purchases after the Amex website shows her card as Aspire,which may or may not be later today (given that today is a Sunday, and it's after 11 am PT / 2 pm ET as I write this). In my case, I upgraded very early PT (early ET) on Friday morning and it was the evening PT before my card showed as Aspire online.

I've been told by Amex CSRs that purchases before the Amex website shows it as Aspire that may not count.

Of course, the question with any online store is: Do they charge when you make the purchase, or only when they ship it? I don't know it works for Target, Amazon doesn't tend to charge until they ship it for purchases that it ships, but they charge right away for third-party merchants.
I gotta say, you answered my question as well as can be expected. We were wondering why her account didn't show Aspire, since we figured it would be instantaneous. In any case, she upgraded around 6 AM PT and we just noticed it on her profile now (12 hrs later). She made some purchases on Amazon earlier today; 1 purchase has a $1 authorization, the others haven't been billed yet. I hope all these will count.
Old Dec 3, 18, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
It was more than 12 hours for me, I think I clicked it at 3am and it wasn't until 9pm or so that I could see Aspire. But I did it before the Target gift card sale, so I could use it, but then I brought my Marriott card to Target instead of the Hilton card ( had switched from a Doubletree to a Courtyard and changed out credit cards without thinking).
Old Dec 4, 18, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I gotta say, you answered my question as well as can be expected. We were wondering why her account didn't show Aspire, since we figured it would be instantaneous. In any case, she upgraded around 6 AM PT and we just noticed it on her profile now (12 hrs later). She made some purchases on Amazon earlier today; 1 purchase has a $1 authorization, the others haven't been billed yet. I hope all these will count.
You'll be able to tell if they count a few days after they post. Here's how:

Now that it's showing as an Aspire, it should show (in the upper right of the Home page) a progress bar towards a free night based on $60k of spend. Well, if you hover over that progress bar, it shows your spend since it was officially an Aspire. That spend amount lags a couple days sometimes, but once you can figure out what it's missing, you should be able to verify from that progress bar whether those Amazon purchases counted.

Assuming that progress bar doesn't reset Jan 1 (I'm not familiar with the free night for $60k calendar since I'm not going to pursue that), then it could be used to track your overall progress toward the $4k in spend needed for the upgrade bonus. Any spend that would count toward the free night would also count toward the upgrade bonus.
Old Dec 24, 18, 4:52 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
How long does an upgrade to Aspire take? I just processed mine and got the approved message, despite not being offered any points — but I want to use the 2018 travel credit before the new year.
Old Dec 30, 18, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
How long does an upgrade to Aspire take? I just processed mine and got the approved message, despite not being offered any points — but I want to use the 2018 travel credit before the new year.
Keep checking Amex online, and when you see it say "Aspire" online, you can hopefully then select your airline at that point and then make the travel credit purchase the next day.

But beware, people who've made the airline choice on the same they made the purchase have in many cases never received the credit. It's thus safest to wait at least a full day after selecting your airline before making the purchase.

So if you haven't already selected the airline, I think you have to today if you plan to make the purchase tomorrow.

But hopefully you figured this out already, because your post that I'm replying to was about 6 days ago.
Old Dec 30, 18, 5:03 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I managed to get it all done before the new year. Credits posted 2 days ago! Thanks!
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 7:23 pm
was bluegatorade

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Ritz Carlton Stars TA
Targeted/pre-approval on upgrade from Ascend to Aspire

I logged into my Amex account today and saw a banner saying I can upgrade my existing Hilton Ascend to an Aspire and earn 150K points after spending $4k in 3m. Does anyone know if this will result in a credit inquiry?
Old Jan 13, 19, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluegatorade View Post
I logged into my Amex account today and saw a banner saying I can upgrade my existing Hilton Ascend to an Aspire and earn 150K points after spending $4k in 3m. Does anyone know if this will result in a credit inquiry?
No, since there's no change in the actual credit account. It's simply the name, the AF, and the benefits that are changing, but your account number and credit limit stay the same (unless you separately request a credit limit increase, which may or may not result in a credit inquiry at Amex).

It also means it doesn't increase your Chase 5/24 count, since the account number won't change.
Old Jan 17, 19, 6:48 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
Originally Posted by bluegatorade View Post
Actually this is how I've upgraded my cards in the past year-- moved from the standard Chase IHG card to the one that gives Platinum, and now have moved to this Aspire card.
I don't like the idea of getting a credit hard pull just for my miles/points addiction :P
So yes, the answer above is correct-- no hard pull on credit.
One benefit to this one: Unlike Chase, where you only upgrade the card and don't get the "welcome points", with moving to Asprire I can get the 150K HHonors points if I spend the $4k in 3 months.
Old Jan 17, 19, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyushuman View Post
One benefit to this one: Unlike Chase, where you only upgrade the card and don't get the "welcome points", with moving to Asprire I can get the 150K HHonors points if I spend the $4k in 3 months.
No, it very like Chase, in that depends on the exact situation. Lots of people have gotten up to 50k Marriott points from Chase for upgrading from the legacy Chase Marriott Premier Visa to the new Chase Marriott Premier Plus Visa:

Chase Marriott Premier PLUS - post your upgrade offers

On the other hand, back in January and February of 2018, when the Aspire card was very new, lots of people got upgrade offers online from Amex that gave zero (0) bonus HH points for doing the upgrade. Those people who wanted the Aspire card immediately without a pull or a 5/24 uptick took the upgrade; others were told they might have to wait a month or two or three before upgrade bonuses were available, and that turned out to be the case.

So both Chase and Amex sometimes gives upgrade bonuses, and other times offer upgrades with no bonuses.

And while sometimes the upgrade bonus may be the same as a signup bonus for the same card, at other time at both banks the upgrade bonus may be different (smaller) for doing the upgrade the for signing up from scratch.

Having said all that: Amex has been doing upgrade bonuses (at least HH no-AF to HH Surpass) for many years, while I'm not aware of Chase having done any upgrade bonuses before the Marriott card mentioned above in the past year.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 17, 19 at 7:19 pm
Old Feb 4, 19, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Help understanding HH Amex Annual fee after card upgrade to Aspire from Surpass

Background on fees and what I did with the hope that someone can help make sense of this for me:
1. Had HH Amex Surpass for a a year and on Oct. 25 they billed the annual fee of $75.
2. A week or so later, I took advantage of the Aspire upgrade.
3. No annual fee was ever charged for the Aspire at that time.
4. On Jan. 25 they billed $337.50 for the annual fee on the Aspire.
5. On Jan. 25 they also issued an annual fee credit of $56.25.

No matter how I do the calculation this does not make sense!
Old Feb 4, 19, 8:51 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
$ 56.25 is a prorated refund for 9 months of Surpass annual fee.
$337.50 is a prorated charge for 9 months of Aspire annual fee.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: