Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Old Oct 8, 18, 12:47 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: AA EP, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,231
So my original Hilton card's anniversary is in January and I've already completed the Ascend upgrade bonus. It's now showing the Aspire upgrade offer and I was wondering if I do upgrade, will the free night certificate will be issued for the first year since my anniversary is coming up soon.. any DP's?
frudd38 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 18, 10:45 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NAS
Posts: 61
Did not Qualify for AmEx Hilton Honors Aspire Upgrade Bonus

Hello Everyone,

So I upgraded from my regular AmEx HHonors card to the Aspire card on June 14th to qualify for the 100,000 HHonor point bonus if I spend $4k within 3 months. For some reason, I incorrectly thought it was a July start date. Maybe because that was when I received my actual Aspire cards in the mail after coming back from a business trip abroad.

Anyways, today I called the customer service number and inquired about my bonus points and that was when the agent informed me about the June 14th upgrade date and that I did not meet the $4k spend by Sep 14th. Because I only met the $4k spend on Sep 30th, I was ineligible for the upgrade.

While admitting that it was my fault and I remembered the start date incorrectly, I asked if there was an exception that could be made. The agent was very adamant about how it's in the terms and conditions and that I would not receive the bonus. I asked to speak to someone else to see if they could make an exception. She said her supervisor will tell me the same thing. I insisted on speaking to someone else and after holding, she came back on the line and said her supervisor wasn't in yet and someone will call me back within 48hours.

So what do you guys think? Should I just accept the fact that I messed up and move on or should I keep trying to see if there is a way to get the bonus? I think I will still keep the card as the benefits for me outweigh the cost but it does sting a little losing out on the bonus.
CHUD is offline  
Old Oct 17, 18, 3:17 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,014
Originally Posted by CHUD View Post
Hello Everyone,

So I upgraded from my regular AmEx HHonors card to the Aspire card on June 14th to qualify for the 100,000 HHonor point bonus if I spend $4k within 3 months. For some reason, I incorrectly thought it was a July start date. Maybe because that was when I received my actual Aspire cards in the mail after coming back from a business trip abroad.

Anyways, today I called the customer service number and inquired about my bonus points and that was when the agent informed me about the June 14th upgrade date and that I did not meet the $4k spend by Sep 14th. Because I only met the $4k spend on Sep 30th, I was ineligible for the upgrade.

While admitting that it was my fault and I remembered the start date incorrectly, I asked if there was an exception that could be made. The agent was very adamant about how it's in the terms and conditions and that I would not receive the bonus. I asked to speak to someone else to see if they could make an exception. She said her supervisor will tell me the same thing. I insisted on speaking to someone else and after holding, she came back on the line and said her supervisor wasn't in yet and someone will call me back within 48hours.

So what do you guys think? Should I just accept the fact that I messed up and move on or should I keep trying to see if there is a way to get the bonus? I think I will still keep the card as the benefits for me outweigh the cost but it does sting a little losing out on the bonus.
I think you should drop it and move on. Rules are rules.
HawkeyeFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 17, 18, 8:10 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer View Post
I think you should drop it and move on. Rules are rules.
I'm sorry for the OP, and I wouldn't personally have a problem if Amex bent the rules to help them out, but I doubt they will. I'm sure they deal with this particular issue a lot---customers missing sign up bonuses, and I doubt they will bend. Sign up bonuses are a big expense and they really have little incentive to cave, since you are already a customer. Yes, you could cancel, but I'm sure they are aware that the majority of those who lose signup bonuses will stay.

I knew of a couple cases where people missed the 100,000 Chase Sapphire Reserve bonus, and Chase wouldn't budge. Many years ago, I had a$35 late payment fee. I called Chase and they waived as a special courtesy. They also lowered my APR when I used to carry a balance. However, those were relatively minor concessions compared to what you are asking. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck.
OATS09 likes this.

Last edited by diesteldorf; Oct 24, 18 at 2:54 am
diesteldorf is offline  
Old Oct 18, 18, 7:36 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 786
Citi doesn't budge as well from my reading about bonus denials (was on rent payment labeled as a cash advance, not regular charge). Obviously this is not pleasant, but I really would not expect them to bend the rules.
jiaogulan is offline  
Old Oct 19, 18, 1:43 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LAX
Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Posts: 1,436
I usually only bother with signup bonuses when I know I have a major expense coming up and I can knock out the bonus within a few weeks.
matrixwalker2012 is offline  
Old Oct 19, 18, 11:10 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 331
No harm in having one more polite conversation with a supervisor, but I'd drop it after that if it doesn't go in your favor. There are so many things to keep track of in this hobby and once in a while we all make mistakes. That said, Chase did gave me a bonus once when a takeout restaurant never submitted a charge of around $10, leaving me around $8 short of meeting my minimum spend. That could have been a very expensive free meal, but I still had the receipt and Chase didn't put up any fight when I pled my case. Obviously that's a different story, and Amex is not Chase, but it means exceptions aren't absolutely impossible.

Seth
sethweinstein is offline  
Old Oct 20, 18, 1:23 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 40
I wouldn't bother trying any further. You already know you didn't qualify so Amex isn't going to budge. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012 View Post
I usually only bother with signup bonuses when I know I have a major expense coming up and I can knock out the bonus within a few weeks.
Same here. I just had my wife sign up for the Aspire and we have two cruises booked in the future (one December 2019 and one May 2020) that we need to pay off. The balance on the first cruise will cover the Aspire's requirements and then we have until around January 2020 to sign up for another card with a large spend requirement.
OATS09 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 18, 8:59 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,014
Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
I'm sorry for the OP, and I wouldn't personally have a problem if Chase bent the rules to help them out, but I doubt they will. I'm sure they deal with this particular issue a lot---customers missing sign up bonuses, and I doubt they will bend. Sign up bonuses are a big expense and they really have little incentive to cave, since you are already a customer. Yes, you could cancel, but I'm sure they are aware that the majority of those who lose signup bonuses will stay.

I knew of a couple cases where people missed the 100,000 Chase Sapphire Reserve bonus, and Chase wouldn't budge. Many years ago, I had a$35 late payment fee. I called Chase and they waived as a special courtesy. They also lowered my APR when I used to carry a balance. However, those were relatively minor concessions compared to what you are asking. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck.
I think he should ask for sure. I agree they probably won't budge and if they don't just move on. I never take chances on sign up bonus in regards to the spend. I pound it out in the first 30 days and make sure I go considerably over so no issue like this comes up. Like you said most people sign up for the bonus so why risk it in any way
HawkeyeFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 21, 18, 11:53 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 969
Doesn't hurt to ask a supervisor to make sure. I've had amex make an exception when I accidentally miscalculated the deadline on a minimum spend.
trouble747 is offline  
Old Oct 23, 18, 12:33 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NAS
Posts: 61
Update

A Supervisor did call me back. And just as many of you predicted, it was a flat NO. She seemed to have a script so it seems this might happen more often than not.

Some comments she made were
-Where do we draw the line? Is it two days? Two weeks? (when I mentioned that I met the minimum two weeks after deadline)
-If we did this for you, we would have to do it for everybody
-You've had three months to meet this

Everything she said was true so I didn't push it. But the attitude was more of a Let me get this over with. Cordial but firm. They've been trained well.

I've accepted it and moved on. Maybe a more squeaky wheel could have gotten the oil but not this one. Hopefully this will be a reference for anyone in the future that misses their bonus.
CHUD is offline  
Old Oct 23, 18, 1:15 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,108
If you were within 3 months of card activation, but 3 months and 2 weeks outside of card approval, then maybe you would have had a shot?

Other than that, it certainly is a case of where do they draw the line. It sucks, but is what it is at this point.
thunderlounge is offline  
Old Oct 23, 18, 4:08 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 40
One thing you still could do is write into The Points Guy's reader mistake stories. If your story gets published, you'd get a $200 gift card.
OATS09 is offline  
Old Oct 23, 18, 7:18 pm
  #74  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 24,869
sorry for your loss of points. The position from Amex is understandable, but I am surprised they are not throwing you some sort of bone or a challenge for future spent. Do you have other Amex cards? Good customer?
cfischer is offline  
Old Nov 21, 18, 10:16 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,385
My wife's free AMEX Hilton is showing the Aspire 150K upgrade offer but we aren't ready for the $4K spend at this time, maybe in a month. Based on past offers, do we know when this offer may expire? I can't find it on the page.
DaveInLA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: