Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Old Feb 24, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I signed up for the Aspire card through an upgrade offer 2 weeks ago, made a large charge last week, enrollment bonus points were in my account 72 hour later.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, CET Diamond, MGM Gold
Points incentive to upgrade Hilton Surpass to Aspire?

Hi all,

I recently received an email offer to upgrade my current Hilton Surpass to Aspire. I had considered doing this in the past. but wasn't crazy about the annual fee. However, as we are now traveling more often and find ourselves going to places where Hilton has a solid footprint and the $250 resort credit can come in handy, upgrading the card has become more likely, if not inevitable.

In the past, I can swear I used to receive emails which included Hilton bonus points (up to maybe 100,000-ish) if I upgraded my Surpass to Aspire, but not the one I got a few days ago. Has anyone received an upgrade offer which included Hilton points as an incentive or is it my imagination (lol)?

Thanks,

nottooshabby
Old Mar 30, 2023, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Why not just apply for the Aspire? Won't AMEX let you have both? If approved then cancel the Surpass.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, CET Diamond, MGM Gold
Hi philemer,

Yes, I was thinking about just applying for the Aspire and cancelling the Surpass but I have opened two additional credit cards (not AMEX or Chase) within the past few months. How much would this affect my credit score?

Thanks,

nottooshabby
Old Mar 30, 2023, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nottooshabby
Hi philemer,

Yes, I was thinking about just applying for the Aspire and cancelling the Surpass but I have opened two additional credit cards (not AMEX or Chase) within the past few months. How much would this affect my credit score?

Thanks,

nottooshabby
Not much & it's only temporary. Score will rebound in a couple months.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 5:51 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by philemer
Why not just apply for the Aspire? … If approved ….
If approved, would affect Chase’s 5/24, which is a consideration for myself and many others.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 7:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nottooshabby
[...] Has anyone received an upgrade offer which included Hilton points as an incentive or is it my imagination (lol)?[...]
I downgraded a Surpass card to the no-fee card over a year ago because I expected to get an upgrade offer either back to Surpass or to Aspire. Not a hint of an upgrade offer ever appeared. Meanwhile, I'm Diamond on stays, so I'm (im)patiently hoping for an offer to appear. As Dr Jabadski noted above, an application for Aspire (or Surpass) would affect Chase 5/24, so I'd really rather get an upgrade offer. Also, I understand that an upgrade does not count against the lifetime language in the Amex terms. If anyone knows how to tickle Amex into an upgrade offer (with points; I have seen offers to upgrade without a point incentive), I would appreciate hearing about it.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by serpens
I downgraded a Surpass card to the no-fee card over a year ago because I expected to get an upgrade offer either back to Surpass or to Aspire. Not a hint of an upgrade offer ever appeared. Meanwhile, I'm Diamond on stays, so I'm (im)patiently hoping for an offer to appear. As Dr Jabadski noted above, an application for Aspire (or Surpass) would affect Chase 5/24, so I'd really rather get an upgrade offer. Also, I understand that an upgrade does not count against the lifetime language in the Amex terms. If anyone knows how to tickle Amex into an upgrade offer (with points; I have seen offers to upgrade without a point incentive), I would appreciate hearing about it.
Yea I am kinda in the same boat. I have two amex no AF hilton cards. One was a downgraded surpass card and the other was a downgraded aspire card. I downgraded them a few years ago due to pandemic and have been waiting for an upgrade offer. I have upcoming travel planned so would probably leap at the chase to upgrade back to aspire especially given I just dropped down to gold status, but they aren't offering any points to do so. Still I might do the math and see if the AF is worth it.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
If approved, would affect Chase’s 5/24, which is a consideration for myself and many others.
True, but there are a lot of people that aren't concerned with 5/24 & that's why I offered the suggestion.
Old May 3, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I downgraded Aspire to Hilton no fee last August 2022. I received a prorated refund last August and also received my weekend night and resort credit. My membership year restarts end of May.

Amex offered me to upgrade (without bonus) and I do have a use for the status next month. Question is will I still get a certificate and resort credit before for the May 2023 anniversary (even if I used/received it already)?
Old May 3, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by philemer
True, but there are a lot of people that aren't concerned with 5/24 & that's why I offered the suggestion.
True, but Chase is such a cash points and miles cow, arguably #1 or #2 (with AmEx), that any responsible (credit card) points and miles aficionado SHOULD be concerned with 5/24 (and manage it very carefully).
Old May 4, 2023, 5:43 am

Programs: MR, DL, MM, HH
Popup jail for Aspire for almost a year. I have the Platinum, Gold, EDP, and Delta Platinum. Only the Delta hasn't been getting a low of spend. I am focusing on it now to see if if changes things as it is the cobranded card. Maybe related, but all my CLIs were denied for it. Could it be affecting the popup for Hilton Aspire?
Old May 11, 2023, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by bgalakazam
Popup jail for Aspire for almost a year. … Could it be affecting the popup for Hilton Aspire?
I don’t think anyone, maybe not even AmEx, knows that the secret sauce to popup jail is. The part of this post other than the first paragraph is pertinent and might be of interest to you.
Old May 28, 2023, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Is there a free Amex HH card? I have what I thought was a basic HH amex and I just got a $95 membership renewal charge. I only use it for rare stuff plus it’s mostly so that my child has a “safe” card to use that isn’t a debit and isn’t a “youth card” that most parents buy. I just want my child to have a basic points card and the non-amex cards won’t do it for when my child was 13. Not sure if they’ll do it at 14. I just don’t want to pay $95/year if possible.
Old May 28, 2023, 2:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
Is there a free Amex HH card?.
Yes, you can ask American Express to downgrade Surpass to the free card:

https://creditcard.hilton.com/d/hilt...s-credit-card/
SPN Lifer, beltway and gaobest like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.