Hilton Amex (free) to Ascend upgrade bonus?

Old Jun 14, 18, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Hilton Amex (free) to Ascend upgrade bonus?

Has anyone who had the Surpass card in the past been able to upgrade the regular HH Amex to Ascend and get the 75K points ?

I upgraded my dad today via an email he received and when I chatted they could not find the 75K offer on his account.

They said give it a couple days but I have my doubts.

Thanks
Old Jun 14, 18, 8:38 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
.... they could not find the 75K offer on his account.
Is there a 75,000 point upgrade offer?
Old Jun 14, 18, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Yes there is/ was. I saw the offer showing up under each of our basic cards for many weeks, probably close to 2 months before they finally disappeared. You can only see it with the latest site - it does not show up with the much olded site which I continue to use as it is far more functional.

We did not take it because we dont forsee any probability we would stay at a full service Hilton property as the card's primarily usage to us would be the instant Gold status due to HHonor is a pure revenue-based system - there is no reason to pile up pts (and pay $95 AF) before we use up the existing balances. I feel confident we will see the upgrade offer again as the upgrade offer showed up when it was still $65 AF and AMEX reminded you that it would be $95 after certain date...
Old Jun 14, 18, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest

Yes, it's in the AMEX offers on all ( my dad, wife and me) of our NAF HH card accounts and we also all received emails recently with the offer.

Dear XXXXX,
We appreciate your loyalty. You’ve been selected to request an upgrade to the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card. Earn 75,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $2,000 in purchases on the Card within your first three months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/2018.1 Enjoy benefits that can make travel even more rewarding for an annual fee of $95.

Or call 1-866-252-4438 and mention POID GAUK:0001
mia likes this.
Old Jun 15, 18, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went for this offer online in April and within the past week or so I got the 75000 points to post to my Hilton account, within a couple days after passing the $2000 of required purchases (in the middle of a statement cycle).

But I never had a Surpass card before, so I can't comment on the OP's question, except to say that in the days of the Surpass, many people upgraded several times over the years (after downgrading back to the no-AF) and got the bonus each time, even after the lifetime language appeared on from-scratch applications. So it's not clear if the lifetime language applies to online upgrades. I guess you have to check the T&Cs carefully.
Old Jun 16, 18, 12:39 pm

I accepted this offer on my long held NAF hilton card in April, I have upgraded/downgraded the card a couple of times in the past couple of years. I haven't seen this offer on my NAF Hilton cards that transferred over from Citi in December, has anyone? I've been keeping them specifically for this...hoping to top off my account this year before closing them out.. but not sure if the offer would be available given I've applied it to 1 of 3 cards..
Old Jun 16, 18, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pokeygirl View Post
I haven't seen this offer on my NAF Hilton cards that transferred over from Citi in December, has anyone? I've been keeping them specifically for this.
It's possible you may have to keep them until at least early 2019 then. Due to their interpretation of the consumer credit act, these days most banks don't allow any upgrades to cards that you've had for less than a year, and technically any HH card converted from Citi you've had as an Amex for much less than a year.
Old Jun 17, 18, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
It's possible you may have to keep them until at least early 2019 then. Due to their interpretation of the consumer credit act, these days most banks don't allow any upgrades to cards that you've had for less than a year, and technically any HH card converted from Citi you've had as an Amex for much less than a year.
That also had occurred to me, but then again, the open date transferred along with the card, so that puts them at 10/14 and 10/15.
Old Jun 18, 18, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pokeygirl View Post
That also had occurred to me, but then again, the open date transferred along with the card, so that puts them at 10/14 and 10/15.
But I don't know anything about what banks do or don't allow after 1 year from other events, like product conversions. Most people don't try a second product conversion within the first year after they've done a first product conversion. The 1 year from opening the card is a famous situation, because enough people try to do product conversions in the first year after opening (because they know in advance they won't want to keep it a second year when the annual fee shows up). But while people are more likely to want to product convert again within a year after an involuntary product conversion (like the card moving from one bank to another) than within one year after voluntary product conversions, involuntary product conversions are so rare, it might be hard to find datapoints (beyond the current situation) of people trying to product convert such an involuntarily product converted card the first year after the involuntary product conversion, in recent years (since that law went into effect).

This simplest way to figure that out would be for someone who got converted from Citi to ask to convert to the Ascend with no bonus. If that's possible, then that's not the reason for no bonus upgrade being offered online. But if even that is not possible, that would seem to prove that Amex is not allowing upgrades at the early point for such recently bank-converted cards.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 18, 18 at 6:39 pm
Old Jun 22, 18, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Identical upgrade offer shows up again on both our no fee card. same 75K/$3K and no restrictive language.
Old Jun 23, 18, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
This simplest way to figure that out would be for someone who got converted from Citi to ask to convert to the Ascend with no bonus. If that's possible, then that's not the reason for no bonus upgrade being offered online. But if even that is not possible, that would seem to prove that Amex is not allowing upgrades at the early point for such recently bank-converted cards.
Well, my partner provided the data point. He received an upgrade offer email for one of his Citi-converted NAF Hilton cards.... Unfortunately, he had already closed it a few months ago. The offer isn't currently available on his longstanding Amex NAF card which he downgraded a few months ago.

Maybe I won't see another upgrade offer given I've already got an Ascend card...
Old Jun 24, 18, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Identical upgrade offer shows up again on both our no fee card. same 75K/$3K and no restrictive language.
2k or 3k?
Old Aug 31, 18, 2:13 pm

I have an email for the 75,000/$2k offer that has an expiration of today 8/31. I called to upgrade and they said it was expired. In my experience when offers have an expiration date the offer period is always inclusive of the date of expiration. Have I always understood this wrong or is Amex a one-off for how they interpret expiration dates?

for reference, the exact wording is “Offer expires 8/31/2018” and the fine print states:
”If your request is not received by 8/31/2018, we will not process your request.”
Old Sep 1, 18, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by dangw20 View Post
I have an email for the 75,000/$2k offer that has an expiration of today 8/31. I called to upgrade and they said it was expired. In my experience when offers have an expiration date the offer period is always inclusive of the date of expiration. Have I always understood this wrong or is Amex a one-off for how they interpret expiration dates?

for reference, the exact wording is “Offer expires 8/31/2018” and the fine print states:
”If your request is not received by 8/31/2018, we will not process your request.”
I got the same e-mail in June. I noticed today that the upgrade offer disappeared from the "Amex Offers" section. However, I went to Menu->Cards->View All Cards and the Upgrade Offer was still there. 75k HH points after $2k spend.
Old Sep 3, 18, 1:34 pm
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

I get this 75k point upgrade offer with $2k spending. I've had this base Hilton card for more than 10 years. Was thinking about upgrading to the Aspire card for the perks.

The benefits of this Ascend card are pale. The only benefit to me is the 75k points. After that, I may upgrade to Aspire, or downgrade to the base card. You guys think it is worth the trouble to upgrade?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: