Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
Another data point.

Instead of upgrade, I first signed up Aspire with 150K bonus by checking referral offers here (many members would love to send you referrals). As soon as I hit the spend, I upgraded my no-fee HH card with upgrade offer link within my account for another 150K. As of today, got both bonuses.

Hotel points from AmEx (I also experience the same with Bonvoy) tend to show up merely days once you meet the spending threshold, unlike MR points which usually take at least a full statement period.

Although my upgrade offer to Aspire is gone, I'm sure those links will come back.
You'd absorb 2 separate $450 AFs in exchange for the 300k HH points? Do you PC after year 1 on both cards or are you always maintaining 1 Aspire to maintain benefits?

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Definitely if you start out with the no-AF HH card (and have nothing "higher" HH yet), it's possible to first upgrade to Ascend and later upgrade from Ascend to Aspire, getting both upgrade bonuses.

Anything else (like getting the Aspire first) is hard to know for now. See, the Aspire has only been available for a bit over year, and meanwhile Amex has been changing policies lately, so datapoints from the Surpass days are not necessarily valid any more. So datapoints of what you're asking about are likely to be extremely rare and/or too old to necessarily still be valid.
Does this include business cards by Hilton? In your scenario, I already have an HH biz card. With your approach (getting no AF personal HH and then upgrade from there), I'm guessing it still works?
Old May 30, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by gumercindo
You'd absorb 2 separate $450 AFs in exchange for the 300k HH points? Do you PC after year 1 on both cards or are you always maintaining 1 Aspire to maintain benefits?
Does this include business cards by Hilton? In your scenario, I already have an HH biz card. With your approach (getting no AF personal HH and then upgrade from there), I'm guessing it still works?
My bad, I meant Ascend.

So instead of upgrading my no AF HH card to Ascend right away. I opened new Ascend card first (may people would love to refer you this card), collect 150K points, then upgraded my HH card to Ascend, now I have collected 300K points with 2 Ascend cards. However, I'm not planning to get the third card (HH Aspire) just for the sake of sign-on bonus, it takes up 1 spot I want to save for 5/24. Whenever there's upgrade offer from either of AmEx Ascend cards to Aspire I'll do this to get bonus instead of a new card.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
My bad, I meant Ascend.

So instead of upgrading my no AF HH card to Ascend right away. I opened new Ascend card first (may people would love to refer you this card), collect 150K points, then upgraded my HH card to Ascend, now I have collected 300K points with 2 Ascend cards. However, I'm not planning to get the third card (HH Aspire) just for the sake of sign-on bonus, it takes up 1 spot I want to save for 5/24. Whenever there's upgrade offer from either of AmEx Ascend cards to Aspire I'll do this to get bonus instead of a new card.
ah, ok, got it. Maybe I missed it but is there a public offer of 150k for the ascend somewhere? All public links show me 125k.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
ah, ok, got it. Maybe I missed it but is there a public offer of 150k for the ascend somewhere? All public links show me 125k.
125K is public offer, but go to this thread

American Express Referral Offers (Read Wiki before posting).

Many posters here would love to get your referral, when you sign up AmEx card via referral you usually get higher bonus.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd absorb 2 separate $450 AFs in exchange for the 300k HH points?
I'm not the one considering doing this, but keep in mind for each $450 AF you get not only 150k HH points, but also a $250 resort credit, a $250 airline "incidental" credit, and a weekend free night certificate good for a year. So each of those would be doubled if someone got two of the same card.

Business cards cannot be upgraded or downgraded to personal cards or vice versa. So the business card is totally separate from this upgrade discussion.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:38 am

Those of you who applied for a new Ascend or Aspire before upgrading your free card to a 2nd Ascend/Aspire — how long after being approved for the new card did you upgrade your free card? A couple people above waited until completing spend or getting the bonus before upgrading. Why not apply for the upgrade immediately after being approved for the new card?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
My current HH Ascend is a conversion from Surpass. Now I am thinking of either canceling this and opening Aspire or maybe UG (check 150k public offer). Now it seems there may be a way for me to get both...

1. Upgrade Ascend to Aspire (assuming I am eligible) and keep that with all its benefits. Will this make me eligible for an Ascend card signup bonus?

2. Get a new cc (Aspire) and try to quickly meet spend. Let points post and then UG Ascend with the offer. The issue with this scenario is: upgrade offer will be gone before the new signup points will get posted.

Or maybe both ideas are ludicrous. Either ways, appreciate some suggestions if it is possible...
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
2. Get a new cc (Aspire) and try to quickly meet spend. Let points post and then UG Ascend with the offer. The issue with this scenario is: upgrade offer will be gone before the new signup points will get posted.
Why would you need to meet speed requirement on Aspire before upgrading your Ascend to a 2nd Aspire?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA

Why would you need to meet speed requirement on Aspire before upgrading your Ascend to a 2nd Aspire?
I dont know.... err on the side of caution and make sure my new signup points get posted before I attempt to upgrade?

Is there no need to wait and 300k will post for both accounts?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I dont know.... err on the side of caution and make sure my new signup points get posted before I attempt to upgrade?

Is there no need to wait and 300k will post for both accounts?
Maybe you’re right. My concern is that if you get the 150K bonus for a new sign-up, the upgrade offer will disappear.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA

Maybe you’re right. My concern is that if you get the 150K bonus for a new sign-up, the upgrade offer will disappear.
Agreed but I am using a public upgrade offer. I didn't get anything in mail so chances are already 50-50 (or less). At worst, I will save a credit inquiry and will get same points as new signup.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:52 am

So I'm going to take the upgrade offer from AMEX for my no fee HH to the Ascend. But I also got an offer for a $200 "Hilton Grand Vacation". And with that I would receive 25000 points for that as well.

I guess I'm just concerned because of the stories I've read of AMEX holding back points. But as long as I've gotten these offers via email I would certainly be guaranteed these points...

And anybody have experience with these vacation offers? One's to Orlando the other to Vegas.
8MiHi likes this.

Last edited by Caribgrl; Jun 24, 2019 at 11:11 am
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
It has not been my experience that Amex has held back HH points. The 150000 points showed up within a few weeks of my meeting the spend requirement on my Ascend upgrade. The normal spend and dining deposits have also been timely.
The HGVC vacation offer is for a time-share. One of the best available, but still a time-share.
The LV and Orlando properties are all good. My personal favorite is Tuscany Village in Orlando. In LV the Elara is in the heart of the Strip and connected to Planet Hollywood and the Miracle-Mile Mall so if its too hot, you don't have to leave the air-conditioning. The Flamingo is much quieter and still in the heart of the Strip.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:09 pm

Thanks for the recommendations as far as the places to stay in LV esp that that may be a second choice.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:43 pm

Late to the game here and looking for advice.

I have the Hilton Ascend card that I received automatically from my old Surpass card. When I got the Surpass, it came with a free weekend night each year, not requiring the current $15k spend. I did get my first weekend certificate, but can I assume that I won't get that anymore without the $15k spend as my current card falls under the Ascend rules?

If that is the case, I'm thinking about applying for a no-fee card for which I see a public offer for 75k points with $1k spend. Then I would cancel my Ascend card. Would I be better off contacting AmEx and downgrading my Ascend to a no-fee card? My guess is I would not get the 75k points this way?

I could eventually be interested in upgrading back to Ascend if a good points offer came along at some future date. I don't think I'm interested in an Aspire card because I already have Hilton Diamond (via Centurion).

I've checked my account and do not have any upgrade offers from AmEx for my existing Hilton Ascend card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.