Wiki Posts
Search

AUS AMEX points to QR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum
AUS AMEX points to QR

My partner has an Australian AMEX (I'm secondary holder) with MR points that we were hoping to convert into QR miles. We didn't realize that QR wasn't an AUS AMEX partner.

Someone on the QR forum suggested my partner applies for a USD card but was declined for whatever reason.

So I applied and was approved thinking since I'm a secondary card holders, that this would work as heard spouses could do transfers. But again, turns out not.

My partner does not yet have a secondary card on my USD card.
If we arrange that, would his MR points be able to be transferred / converted to QR miles?
Or does he need to have his own additional USD or EUR card with a MR account?
i don’t think the secondary card gives him another MR account meaning he is still restricted to the AUS partners
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Paros_fan
.... We didn't realize that QR wasn't an AUS AMEX partner.....
QR is not a transfer partner from Membership Rewards (USA). The USA transfer partners are listed here:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...R&viewfullsite

The suggestion to apply for a "USD" card likely refers to an International Dollar Card, which is issued in the UK. QR is a transfer partner in that version of Membership Rewards, but note the unfavorable transfer ratio:

https://catalogue.membershiprewards....ansferpartners

The ability to transfer points from one version of Membership Rewards to another is undocumented, and some people report requests denied. To move points between programs both accounts need to be in the name of the same primary cardholder. Holding an additional card on another person's account is not relevant.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:13 pm
mia

It appears your partner could transfer from Membership Rewards (Australia) to Starwood Preferred Guest to Qatar. Example:

40,000 Membership Rewards
20,000 Starwood
25,000 Qatar

1.6:1 isn't much worse than the 3:2 (1.5:1) that you would have achieved if the International Dollar Card routing worked (and I have not accounted for the exchange rate differential when transferring points from an Australian to USD account.).

Don't procrastinate. The SPG program ends is about 45 days.

Last edited by mia; Jun 14, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia

The suggestion to apply for a "USD" card likely refers to an International Dollar Card, which is issued in the UK. QR is a transfer partner in that version of Membership Rewards, but note the unfavorable transfer ratio:
Yes, sorry, we applied for the International Dollar Card
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
It appears your partner could transfer from Membership Rewards (Australia) to Starwood Preferred Guest to Qatar. Example:

40,000 Membership Rewards
20,000 Starwood
25,000 Qatar

1.6:1 isn't much worse than the 3:2 (1.5:1) that you would have achieved if the International Dollar Card routing worked (and I have not accounted for the exchange rate differential when transferring points from an Australian to USD account.).

Don't procrastinate. The SPG program ends is about 45 days.
Great idea.
If I moved from AUD - USD the points would devalue by 0.75.
That means 200000 would become 150000 MR points which would be 100000 QR miles. So it would be 2:1 overall.

Your suggestion is much better! Thanks.

UPDATE: SPG only allow a maximum of 79,999 points to be transferred
And rate from AUS MR to SPG is 2:1 and then SPG to MR is 1:1!

Last edited by Paros_fan; Jun 14, 2018 at 7:19 pm Reason: Update
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:21 pm
mia

UPDATE: SPG only allow a maximum of 79,999 points to be transferred
That's the single transaction limit, but do NOT transfer more than 60,000 at a time because you want to transfer in multiples of 20,000 to earn the 5,000 point bonus. You would make two transfers:

60,000 SPG = 75,000 QR
40,000 SPG = 50,000 QR

I would not do more than one transfer per day. Transfers from SPG are not usually instantaneous, research in the SPG forum so that you know how long transfers to QR typically take, or if there are any issues that I am not aware of.

rate from AUS MR to SPG is 2:1....
Correct, this is taken into account in my original calculation

and then SPG to QR is 1:1
Yes, but there is a bonus if you transfer in blocks of 20,000
1000:1000
-or-
20000:25000
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Ah I see.
Thanks so much
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:33 pm
mia

If your partner's Membership Rewards and Starwood accounts are not already linked it may take some time to get this done because SPG is ending soon. I do not know whether account linking is usually done online or by telephone in Australia, but don't hesitate to ask American Express for help if it doesn't seem to work. Tell them if you are working against a deadline.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. All in progress.
When SPG is no more, is it worth doing the transfer to Hilton and then to QR?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
When SPG is no more, is it worth doing the transfer to Hilton and then to QR?
I think pretty much nothing is worth transferring to Hilton and then onward to somewhere else. Too much in loss.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Great idea.
If I moved from AUD - USD the points would devalue by 0.75.
That means 200000 would become 150000 MR points which would be 100000 QR miles. So it would be 2:1 overall.
I would also consider moving the points from American Express to Starwood, but then transferring to AA

The SPG to AA rate is 1:1 , with the 5000 bonus for every 20k transferred

Compare the redemption rate on QR using AA miles vs using QR miles. I am not sure if QR imposes carrier surcharges on its awards, but I know that AA does not

175,000 AA points is cost of business class award roundtrip on QR from Australia to Europe ( plus taxes - but no other charges other than $75 late booking fee if booked within 21 days of departure )

According to the Qcalculator on the Qatar Airways site, the Qmiles cost is 319,000 plus USD200 plus taxes plus charges -

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 14, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.