Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge LAX TBIT (opened March 9, 2020; reopened June 15, 2022)

Centurion Lounge LAX TBIT (opened March 9, 2020; reopened June 15, 2022)

Old May 13, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by happychic
Debating if I should take him to the airport a little earlier so he can grab a bag from the Centurion lounge, or if I should suggest him to try his chances at Alaska lounge...
Originally Posted by HomerJay
Get there early and get the Grab 'n Go. You never know whether there will be room in the Alaska Lounge. If there is, that your Centurion bag lunch with you into the Lounge and maybe hold on to it for your flight. If the Alaska Lounge is full to their limited capacity, at least he'll have the grab & go bag.
Good advice. You can always check the status of the AS lounge at https://v1.waitwhile.com/welcome/alaskaloungelax when you get to LAX. If the AS lounge has a waitlist, you can add yourself to it online while you pickup your Centurion boxed lunch. You can disregard the part that says "the lounge is currently full" and just see if there is anyone else on the waitlist to determine whether or not you need to list yourself.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 14, 2021, 1:22 am

Programs: Various
For those that arent 100% with the LA City and County Regulations for COVID
Look for June 15 as a key date of most facilities fully opening. I would guess that the LAX Centurion Lounge will gravitate from Grab and Go, to a more open set up.

This should help with the current pressing question of When will they open up to normal standards? Questions that are so frequently posted here.
Old May 14, 2021, 4:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
LA County is now in the yellow tier, with restrictions significantly reduced.

The fact that lounges at LAX (including particularly Centurion) continue to be so limited in their operations suggests to me that this is an LAWA thing.
Old May 14, 2021, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
LA County is now in the yellow tier, with restrictions significantly reduced.

The fact that lounges at LAX (including particularly Centurion) continue to be so limited in their operations suggests to me that this is an LAWA thing.
Not sure why it would be a LAWA thing if the Delta Sky Club has been open and serving hot food this entire time.
Old May 14, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hur88
Not sure why it would be a LAWA thing if the Delta Sky Club has been open and serving hot food this entire time.
That's all been discussed upthread. It's been posited that the Centurion is subject to different requirements either because it's not airline operated, or because it has a different type liquor license, or because it has its own kitchen.
cuthroat and DENDave like this.
Old May 14, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
That's all been discussed upthread. It's been posited that the Centurion is subject to different requirements either because it's not airline operated, or because it has a different type liquor license, or because it has its own kitchen.
Those were all speculations but we don't actually know. The bottom line is there is now no meaningful restriction in place any more for any dining establishment in LA County other than 6 ft social distance - they do that by reducing max in door occupancy by a % based on square footage of the establishment. So the fact that Centurion Lounge is still doing takeout only is 100% an Amex business decision. Opening up the lounge to full operation has high fixed costs (you need the same number of employees even with reduced capacity) and TBIT doesn't have the traffic volume of the other terminals. I believe this was the case the entire time, but that is also just speculation.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 1:35 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Maybe for the Centurion Lounge, but Id have to think all the TBIT airline and alliance lounges remain closed primarily due to the extreme lack of foot traffic in that terminal. I was just at the LAX Admirals Club last week and saw ANA, Air New Zealand and China Airlines planes across the way and thought to myself, I have to wonder how many passengers are on each of these flights. A dozen each?.
Old May 14, 2021, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Maybe for the Centurion Lounge, but I’d have to think all the TBIT airline and alliance lounges remain closed primarily due to the extreme lack of foot traffic in that terminal.
Yes, but Centurion has elected to open, and the question is why is it not allowing guests inside. Note that LAX lounges have been and continue to be stricter than lounges in other airports, with guests generally not allowed direct access to food or beverage items (and at least one other (UA) previously downgrading to "grab and go" supposedly due to restrictions imposed by LAWA and/or the County).
Originally Posted by bzcat
Those were all speculations but we don't actually know.
Yes, that's what "to posit" means and why I listed three possible explanations that have been offered upthread.
Originally Posted by bzcat
So the fact that Centurion Lounge is still doing takeout only is 100% an Amex business decision.
Also speculation, as is the entire discussion in this thread of the "why" question.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have to say, traveling through LAX for the first time in more than a year two days ago, I really really liked the Grab and Go, because the lavash wrap was delicious, the potato chips tasty, and the pastry also good. It tasted fresh and flavorful. I had a long layover, so I lugged it all the way to the almost deserted Midfield Satellite concourse (which just opened two weeks ago), where I sat in peace, as the only person within four gates, and watched the activity at TBIT and on the north runways.
Old May 17, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
I like the grab and go bc you can't buy on board for most flights yet.
Old May 23, 2021, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I tried stopping by here today but didn't realize they close up shop at 3pm so no to go bag for me. That said, I think clearing security at TBIT and taking the airside bus back to T2 was probably the same amount of time if not faster based on the complete gong show that T2 TSA was when I walked past it earlier.
Old May 23, 2021, 8:23 pm

Since it's grab and go, are they enforcing the 3 hours before flight to stop in and grab a box? Can you take more than one?
Old May 23, 2021, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Since it's grab and go, are they enforcing the 3 hours before flight to stop in and grab a box? Can you take more than one?
I ask for and took two last month, one for me one for my wife... just using my card.
Old May 24, 2021, 3:47 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The rule is one per boarding pass. If you have your companion's BP, you can get two boxes.
Old May 25, 2021, 9:23 am

Stopped by two days ago and there was someone trying to get an extra box for his wife. They said no problem but he needed to show her boarding pass, so he had to download it onto his phone before he could grab another box.

I asked the agent whether they have a reopening date set yet, and she said "not yet, but soon"
rmeltz and cuthroat like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.