Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:52 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
....without really knowing whether you specifically would eligible for the signup bonus.
Agreed, -and- there are often upgrade bonuses which are distinct from new account bonuses, but it does not sound as if one is available on your account at this time.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:04 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
I currently have a PRG card and while taking care of another issue with my card, brought up the idea with a CSR about potentially getting a Platinum card. They said I could "upgrade" my PRG card but wouldn't be eligible for a sign up bonus. Or, I could just apply for the card directly (not an "upgrade") and be eligible for a sign up bonus. What am I missing? Who would do the "upgrade" in this circumstance?
Never desperate to upgrade without the SUB. AmEx has the life-time bonus policy. Wait until you qualify to get the bonus, even upgrade bonus.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by mia
The standard personal Platinum card, or one of the co-branded variants?

Has she also held additional cards on any of your American Express card accounts?
its the standard personal one, I dont think shes ever been an authorized user on any of my cards but, I am an AU on her platinum card...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Never desperate to upgrade without the SUB. AmEx has the life-time bonus policy. Wait until you qualify to get the bonus, even upgrade bonus.
The CSR said (or implied) I'd qualify for the SUB but would have to apply, hard pull and open a new Plat card (not upgrade). With the new PRG benefits rolling out next week it's a no-brainer for me to keep the PRG card with the $100 airline, $120 grubhub/seemless/shakeshack, and 4X restaurants (about 75% of my spend) it's cash in my pocket. Unless I'm misunderstanding what an "Upgrade" is, I think I just want to open a new Platinum - keep the PRG as is - and get the standard 60k bonus. Is that not possible? Unless I've had Platinum in the past (I haven't) why would I wait for an upgrade offer for what I can only imagine is a worse SUB?

Last edited by PHLondoner; Sep 26, 2018 at 6:16 pm Reason: tweak
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:31 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
Who would do the "upgrade" in this circumstance?
Someone who doesnt want a HP on their CR if they are getting a mortgage, etc.

Last edited by 355F1; Sep 26, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:16 pm

I had a Amex offer in my email yesterday for DL Amex gold, business and personal.

60K mile, $50 DL credit, AF waived first year. I applied and was approved for the business.

I have had this card in the past ( maybe 3 years ago) and I am LOL/24, no message concerning the bonus.

I tried a few minutes late for the personal DL Gold via the same offer link and received the "You will not receive the bonus message"
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: All of em...
I'm getting the pop up on all Hilton cards... have been opening a lot of Amex cards for 7-8 years.

Now I have the 150k Aspire upgrade offer in my Ascend card offers, which I had already upgraded from the no-fee card in May… However, when I click on it, it says, “We’re sorry, your existing Cards are not eligible for this upgrade.” So I can't even upgrade when they say I can?

UPDATE:
A reddit user said the same thing happened to him but today he was approved. Same for me - upgrade offer worked today and approved!

Last edited by x712xdamx; Sep 27, 2018 at 12:11 pm Reason: Updating status
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no bonus if you ever had card right?

i got gold, upgraded to plat, neither had any bonus, kind of annoying to not be able to get bonus on gold now etc
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:19 pm

No bonus if you have ever received a bonus. So if you had a gold, but didn’t have a bonus when you got it, then you could get a bonus as you had never received one.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
No bonus if you have ever received a bonus. So if you had a gold, but didn’t have a bonus when you got it, then you could get a bonus as you had never received one.
I'm pretty sure the AMEX language is something to the effect of "you are not eligible for this bonus if you have or have had this card before."

It says nothing about earning a bonus on the card; simply obtaining the card previously prevents one from obtaining a bonus on subsequent cards (of the same flavor.)
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:47 am

I'm getting the pop-up saying I am ineligible for a bonus on Hilton cards based on my past history with Amex. I've never held an Amex Hilton card, and my last application for an Amex card was Blue Business Plus more than a year ago. I've only attempted a Hilton Honors 75k app, and have not attempted an app for any other card product. I have three cards open currently: Old Blue Cash, Amex Everyday, and BlueBiz Plus. I've definitely leveraged some of the information I've learned from this forum to maximize my usage of these cards, but I haven't ever gone nuts like some (legendary) members have (My OBC is still open, after all).

Are there any documented ways to get out of Amex purgatory and be eligible for bonuses again? i.e. would spending more on my cards help, or would it not matter? Does the bonus limitation currently apply only to Personal cards, or for Biz cards too (When using SSN as EIN)? Any further data points from other forum members would certainly be helpful to us all!
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:05 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by KIcarus
Are there any documented ways....
No, this feature has only existed for ~90 days. ALL credit card applications require a Social Security number. Adding an EIN to a Business card application doesn't change the fact that you (not your company) are the applicant.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I'm pretty sure the AMEX language is something to the effect of "you are not eligible for this bonus if you have or have had this card before."

It says nothing about earning a bonus on the card; simply obtaining the card previously prevents one from obtaining a bonus on subsequent cards (of the same flavor.)
This is correct.

Originally Posted by KIcarus
I'm getting the pop-up saying I am ineligible for a bonus on Hilton cards based on my past history with Amex... I have three cards open currently: Old Blue Cash, Amex Everyday, and BlueBiz Plus...
Put some spend on all 3 of those cards and try again in a week. That may help. Have you ever cancelled an Amex card having held it for less than 12 months?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico

Interesting. I was thinking it had the bonus language in there, but I guess not. Maybe Im confusing it with Chase.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

which drives me crazy because i got no bonus on either card, and plat has offered 100k bonus

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.