Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:07 am

Email - https://www.elliott.org/company-cont...rican-express/
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'm really hoping that downgrading and keeping a card at lower AF rate for 2 years instead of 1 will bode well for my spouse's reputation with Amex and getting new card bonuses. He hasn't applied for a card in a year and doesn't churn or MS but does have three cancellations from about 2-3 years ago. And soon wants to apply for the new personal gold card when the bonus goes back up.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'm really hoping that downgrading and keeping a card at lower AF rate for 2 years instead of 1 will bode well for my spouse's reputation with Amex and getting new card bonuses. He hasn't applied for a card in a year and doesn't churn or MS but does have three cancellations from about 2-3 years ago. And soon wants to apply for the new personal gold card when the bonus goes back up.
You can find the AMEX Gold card with a 50,000 sign-up bonus now if you use the incognito method.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/incre...link-too-ymmv/
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by mmax1
Did you email or call the 212 number?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by mmax1
Email
Which email? I sent an email to the primary one listed and the email address was wrong.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nmjohnson
Which email? I sent an email to the primary one listed and the email address was wrong.
Someone with a title in Global Business Travel would not seem to be the correct primary contact for a card or bonus denial. I would research the named individual before writing to confirm that their current position is aligned with solving your problem.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Well, SO got hit by this yesterday when we tried to get the Blue Biz Plus using a referral from me. Currently has 3 Amex's open but we got the warning on the application before they did the pull (glad they warn us before hand). The two of us have almost exactly the same history with Amex and I have more total apps over all banks, but I still got the card a few months ago.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:50 pm

Interesting DP.

1) Informed over chat that bonus was denied.
2) Denied bonus after CFPB claim.
3) Gave up / procrastinated and did not make any more complaints/claims for a few months. I continue to use the card a lot since it is nonetheless a good product. Noticed the bonus show up unexpectedly.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
Interesting DP.

1) Informed over chat that bonus was denied.
2) Denied bonus after CFPB claim.
3) Gave up / procrastinated and did not make any more complaints/claims for a few months. I continue to use the card a lot since it is nonetheless a good product. Noticed the bonus show up unexpectedly.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...e-now-posting/
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I applied and was approved for an AMEX DELTA PLAT card, there is a 70K bonus miles offer which expires 4/3/19. Then I did some googling and noticed that AMEX restricts bonuses to once in a lifetime* for most of their cards. Various "card churning" sites note that via chat one can get a list of ALL previously owned AMEX cards, the agent used my SS# for the search, the only cards which showed up were active cards and one recently closed Hilton card. I have a recollection that I once did have an AMEX DELTA PLAT card which I closed in 2003 or 2004 (when I switched to AA). Should I assume that the chat agents list is complete?
*LIFETIME is only as good as Amex's database look-back period, one site thought 7 years.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:28 am
mia

Originally Posted by nrr
....Then I did some googling and noticed that AMEX restricts bonuses to once in a lifetime* for most of their cards.....:
This information is also in the terms of the offer to which you responded. It really is worthwhile reading because there are other important restrictions:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

The lifetime policy is about five years old:

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

The live customer service database does seem to go back about 7 years, but we do not know if it is purged annually or more often. Remember, it is the year that you CLOSED the previous account which matters.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:30 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
This information is also in the terms of the offer to which you responded. It really is worthwhile reading because there are other important restrictions:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

The lifetime policy is about five years old:

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

The live customer service database does seem to go back about 7 years, but we do not know if it is purged annually or more often. Remember, it is the year that you CLOSED the previous account which matters.
As I noted I closed that acct in 2003 or 2004 = over 15 years ago.
Per another site AMEX is supposed to have a service (not via chat) where one can determine before one applies for a card (with promotions) whether you are eligible, but I can't find service.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:40 am
mia

Originally Posted by nrr
.... service (not via chat) where one can determine before one applies for a card (with promotions) whether you are eligible, but I can't find service.
This is built into the online application process. It will display a popup informing you if you are not eligible for a bonus due to holding the card previously -or- due to unsatisfactory history. However, absence of the popup is not a 100% guarantee of bonus eligibility. We have a few reports of disqualification for reasons that sound as if they could have triggered the popup.

Likewise, the bonus can be denied, or clawed back, if the spending used to achieve it is ineligible. Typically a return or similar credit during the bonus spend period will trigger an audit.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
My wife applied for a Amex Biz Gold Rewards back in November 2018. She has never held the BGR before. She did not get any pop-up during the application process.

She had signed up for 3 Amex cards between October 2017 and April 2018 with sign-up bonuses, all of which are still open.

She met the minimum spend of $5K and never received the 50K sign-up bonus. I contacted Amex chat and was told she was ineligible for the bonus, and they kept pointing to the T&Cs.

Do I have any recourse for this bait & switch?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:41 am
mia

Originally Posted by nabeelj
....pointing to the T&Cs.....
Specific provision? Has she gone past the front line agents, who will often invent an explanation that could be true, but isn't actually the basis for a specific decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.