Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:11 pm

That is pretty ridiculous. If someone opened a card, yet there was no bonus, then it is silly to preclude them from a bonus at a later time.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just as ridiculous as knowing many plat will spend a lot so no need to give them bonus points except airline
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:53 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

If you put on some charges on a regular basis, not only AmEx lets you have new cards and it gives you the bonus. I always use average 4 AmEx CCs. Never any AmEx denial.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KIcarus
I'm getting the pop-up saying I am ineligible for a bonus on Hilton cards based on my past history with Amex. I've never held an Amex Hilton card, and my last application for an Amex card was Blue Business Plus more than a year ago. I've only attempted a Hilton Honors 75k app, and have not attempted an app for any other card product. I have three cards open currently: Old Blue Cash, Amex Everyday, and BlueBiz Plus. I've definitely leveraged some of the information I've learned from this forum to maximize my usage of these cards, but I haven't ever gone nuts like some (legendary) members have (My OBC is still open, after all).
What Amex cards have you cancelled in the last few years, and how long did you have each of them?

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Have you ever cancelled an Amex card having held it for less than 12 months?
More than 12 months doesn't necessarily help with this. (Less than 12 months is an even "more serious offense" that Amex spelled out much earlier than this popup. They said they could cancel your accounts for less than 12 months. This popup is only for denying you a signup bonus, but it looks at way more than just 12 months.) I got this popup after I cancelled a couple Amex cards in the previous 1.5 years at 13+ months (Amex doesn't tend to bill the second year AF until at least 13 months), but I didn't use those cards after getting the signup bonus. So "sock drawering" and then waiting more than 12 months but cancelling at the second year AF can still get you this popup.

Ie, they seem to be looking for things that "smell like" getting cards only for the signup bonus. You have to work to make it not seem like that was not your only intention for getting the card.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Any successful or unsuccessful bonus experiences from those who get the "warning" when applying, but receive targeted offer in the mail that seems to bypass the warning?

I did this recently and was approved (personal platinum). Previously held non-vanilla platinum products and many co-branded cards.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:26 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Does anyone know if the pop-up appears if you're ineligible for the sign-up bonus based on having had a card before (as opposed to because Amex thinks you've churned too much and similar reasons)?

I'm tempted by the new Gold card but did have the PRG a few years ago; I know after 7ish years the history of having had a card drops off, and that many years haven't passed for me, but I figure it could be worth trying to apply for the 50K bonus as long as the popup would warn me off if I'm ineligible, as I probably am. But I would hate to get the card with no bonus it if there's no warning popup for having had the card before.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
Does anyone know if the pop-up appears if you're ineligible for the sign-up bonus based on having had a card before (as opposed to because Amex thinks you've churned too much and similar reasons)?

I'm tempted by the new Gold card but did have the PRG a few years ago; I know after 7ish years the history of having had a card drops off, and that many years haven't passed for me, but I figure it could be worth trying to apply for the 50K bonus as long as the popup would warn me off if I'm ineligible, as I probably am. But I would hate to get the card with no bonus it if there's no warning popup for having had the card before.
There are two different pop-ups, IIRC. One that notifies you that you are disqualified because you've had the card previously and another that notifies you that you won't get the bonus based upon your previous AMEX history of opening/closing cards, etc.

Either way, the applicable pop-up should appear before you actually submit the application. And, although this feature is relatively new, I've yet to see an instance where someone applied, didn't get the pop-up, and was denied the bonus. Still early, granted.
mia and bgriff like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
What does SUB stand for ?

Does anyone know if these new AMEX rules apply to an upgrade AMEX offer for upgrading a Hilton No annual fee Amex to Ascend ? Would you get the same warning ( stating you will not get the bonus) when you attempt to upgrade if they are not going to give out the points ?
Did you do the upgrade and not have any issues?

I am in pop-up land with AMEX, but out of the blue got an upgrade offer to change my Ascend into an Aspire and get the 150,000 point bonus after spending 4K and I am very interested in doing the upgrade as long as I can get the bonus. Per what Mia said in response to your post, it does make sense that upgrade offers would be different than new applications.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Did you do the upgrade and not have any issues?

I am in pop-up land with AMEX, but out of the blue got an upgrade offer to change my Ascend into an Aspire and get the 150,000 point bonus after spending 4K and I am very interested in doing the upgrade as long as I can get the bonus. Per what Mia said in response to your post, it does make sense that upgrade offers would be different than new applications.

MY dad upgraded NAF Hilton Amex to Ascend per an offer in his Amex acct and received the bonus

My wife upgraded her NAF Hilton to Ascend through an offer on her AMEX page and per Chat multiple CSR's have confirmed via chat that she will get 150K HH but her spend is not complete

I recently received a targeted DL 60k/$1K $50 DL credit offer, $50 DL credit posted and several CSR's have confirmed 60k per chat
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
MY dad upgraded NAF Hilton Amex to Ascend per an offer in his Amex acct and received the bonus

My wife upgraded her NAF Hilton to Ascend through an offer on her AMEX page and per Chat multiple CSR's have confirmed via chat that she will get 150K HH but her spend is not complete

I recently received a targeted DL 60k/$1K $50 DL credit offer, $50 DL credit posted and several CSR's have confirmed 60k per chat
Thanks, good to hear. I did the upgrade and it's actually beautiful because I wanted the Aspire for the status and credits, but I was unwilling to pay the fee for the card if I couldn't get the big bonus ... now I can.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:41 am

My hubby had business gold charge card for last 7 years same account. Would that prevent him from getting personal Amex bonus?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Green_eyes
Would that prevent him from getting personal Amex bonus?
It shouldn't.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Thanks, good to hear. I did the upgrade and it's actually beautiful because I wanted the Aspire for the status and credits, but I was unwilling to pay the fee for the card if I couldn't get the big bonus ... now I can.
When you upgrade, you don't necessarily get a fee right away anyhow. You may (or may not) have time to get the signup bonus before your fee is assessed. That's because of doing an upgrade in the middle of the year cycle of your card that you upgraded.
felicity5 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:55 pm

So I hold an Ameriprise plat and recently applied for 100k Plat offer and was approved (no-popups). Just received the card and had a quick chat with Amex rep to check the bonus offer attached to my card. Rep said I don't qualify for the offer since I already hold another plat. I tried explaining him that I applied because I was targeted for the offer and the rep proposed to open an investigation. Anyone got idea what are the chances I still get the bonus? I have got screenshots and all for my app.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
When you upgrade, you don't necessarily get a fee right away anyhow. You may (or may not) have time to get the signup bonus before your fee is assessed. That's because of doing an upgrade in the middle of the year cycle of your card that you upgraded.
I believe their wording was that within 45 days I will be assessed a pro-rated fee. I'll keep you all posted on how this works out. 24 hours after upgrading, my account now shows the card as an Aspire and the account number has remained the same (no surprise, I know).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.