Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by hurnik
According to Doctorofcredit, it's supposed to pop up after submitting the application, but before the credit check.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...ation-process/
Yes, this was my experience.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:15 pm

Data point - I just got denied on the website for the SPG luxury card. I'm sitting at exactly 5 cards in the last 24. Last card I got from Amex was over 24 months ago.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by BlueEyedBuckeye
Data point - I just got denied on the website for the SPG luxury card. I'm sitting at exactly 5 cards in the last 24. Last card I got from Amex was over 24 months ago.
Denied the bonus, or denied the card outright?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlueEyedBuckeye
Denied for the card or for the bonus?

If for the card, it has nothing to do with this thread. If for the bonus:

Not enough info. Amex doesn't care about 5/24. Amex cares about what you have done with Amex cards. You didn't explain what you did what that Amex card you got over 24 months ago, did you keep using it regularly or did you "sock drawer" it after you earned the signup bonus and then cancel it when the annual fee became due after a year? That is what Amex cares about!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:09 am

I think another million dollar question is: if you get the pop-up, how long will you be on AMEX's sh*tlist for? Too early to tell, is my guess, so we all need to do the datapoint thing.

Also, if you get the pop-up, will you get the pop-up for ALL cards? Or just certain ones?

I've never been denied a card, a bonus, or anything by AMEX ever, until this month getting the pop-up on the AMEX Hilton Business card. So my point is that business cards are definitely under this new scope.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:10 am

I hope that means they have the ability and money to focus on ongoing perks/deals vs. paying up for new customer bonuses
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Any workarounds or bypasses ?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Any workarounds or bypasses ?
I'll probably give the Hilton Aspire a go soon. Not expecting to get the bonus, since I JUST got the pop-up on the Hilton Business card, but I figure it's worth a try. Maybe for a high AF card they'll let me through? Not holding my breath, though.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
What about scenarios where Amex gives no pop up/ alert message about bonus ineligibility but later denies bonus based on the vague open ended statement in the
T&C's as follows - "If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome bonus offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome bonus offer (s) that we did not intend for you" ?

Or has the experience of folks been that once eligible and approved for the given card, there is no problem with bonuses assuming no obvious red flags in meeting MSR's.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think the pop-up feature to too new to know if it is a highly accurate indicator that a bonus will be awarded.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Got the pop-up stating not eligible for welcome bonus based on history blah blah. No Amex cards closed yet, but as mentioned earlier, multiple Amex's opened in last 12 months.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:27 pm

Anyone see datapoints of workarounds or it eventually working again? My wife and I have gotten the not eligible pop-up on all our Amex apps in the last few days (tested a few cards out to see what would happen after seeing it once). Saw it on no fee hilton, hilton biz, and amex platinum...

Is our only hope to start putting spend on our current Amex cards and pray that the message will eventually lift?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:23 pm

Got the pop-up when applying for Delta Gold personal card.

Currently holding a personal card since 2013 but used it very infrequently.
Three cards (1 personal, 2 biz) were closed shortly after one year mark. The most recent one was Delta Gold Business which was closed in July this year.

I guess I was not eligible because 1) not using AMEX cards enough 2) applying for another Delta card too soon 3) Open/Close pattern
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Datapoint: Got the popup when applying for Aspire, 0 AMEX card opened in the past 24 months, Plat closed in May after 25th month. Only open AMEX card is ED with minimal spend mostly to take advantage of AMEX offers.

More detailed description over in the hilton thread - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...0&postcount=45
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lw7878
Got the pop-up when applying for Delta Gold personal card.

Currently holding a personal card since 2013 but used it very infrequently.
Three cards (1 personal, 2 biz) were closed shortly after one year mark. The most recent one was Delta Gold Business which was closed in July this year.

I guess I was not eligible because 1) not using AMEX cards enough 2) applying for another Delta card too soon 3) Open/Close pattern
Too early to make definitive statements but based upon what I've seen reported here and on other forums - continuing to spend on AMEX cards beyond the MSR appears to work in one's favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.