FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1913138-amex-usa-restricts-bonus-based-number-accounts-opened-closed-june-2018-a.html)

sdsearch Jun 27, 2018 11:21 am

Originally Posted by slickvik (Post 29908895)
My plat annual fee is coming up July 20, but new SPG luxury card is coming out August 1. I was going to close it but now will wait because closing may hurt my chances and since I have 30 days anyway.

If you're interested in the SPG luxury card, keep up with all the news about it. There's a strong rumor that current and recent Marriott cardholders will be ineligible for the luxury card signup bonus:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post29911909 (starting at post 93)

poisson Jun 27, 2018 7:14 pm

It's the last day for the Hilton bonuses, so I figured I'd apply. I got the dreaded pop-up. I'm at 12/24 and 4/12. I've got the following with AMEX: BCP (Opened 2013), Delta Gold (7/17), SPG (3/17), PRG (2/17).

Estimated spend over the past 12mo is the following:

BCP: $3000
Delta Gold: Only did spend for the bonus. Haven't used it since
SPG: $3000
PRG: $5000

I'm guessing the main reason I was denied is having several AMEX cards opened in the past 2yr.

slickvik Jun 27, 2018 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by poisson (Post 29914275)
It's the last day for the Hilton bonuses, so I figured I'd apply. I got the dreaded pop-up. I'm at 12/24 and 4/12. I've got the following with AMEX: BCP (Opened 2013), Delta Gold (7/17), SPG (3/17), PRG (2/17).

I'm guessing the main reason I was denied is having several AMEX cards opened in the past 2yr.

I opened 6 AMEX in the past 24 so I guess my chances won’t be great with any Amex cards in the near future

poisson Jun 28, 2018 7:22 am

Originally Posted by slickvik (Post 29914694)

I opened 6 AMEX in the past 24 so I guess my chances won’t be great with any Amex cards in the near future

I'm hoping that their list is dynamic and doesn't permanently ban people they consider churners. Maybe after another year I'll be able to apply again. Sucks I missed out on the Hilton bonus though.

slickvik Jun 28, 2018 9:39 am

Originally Posted by poisson (Post 29915764)
I'm hoping that their list is dynamic and doesn't permanently ban people they consider churners. Maybe after another year I'll be able to apply again. Sucks I missed out on the Hilton bonus though.

I missed out on the Hilton too because I was waiting for SPG

LWT3 Jun 28, 2018 11:01 am

Data Point:

Relative got the no bonus popup on 4th card application in 2018. Three Amex cards this calendar year, five Amex cards in the past 12 months and seven Amex cards in the past 24 months.

Everyday -- 3/17
Ameriprise -- 3/17
Hilton Surpass -- 6/17
SPG Personal -- 12/17
SPG Business -- 3/18
Hilton Business -- 3/18
PRG -- 5/18

All still open except the Ameriprise (closed after 12 mos) and Surpass (closed 12/17, which was a bad move).

poisson Jun 28, 2018 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 29916724)
Data Point:

Relative got the no bonus popup on 4th card application in 2018. Three Amex cards this calendar year, five Amex cards in the past 12 months and seven Amex cards in the past 24 months.

Everyday -- 3/17
Ameriprise -- 3/17
Hilton Surpass -- 6/17
SPG Personal -- 12/17
SPG Business -- 3/18
Hilton Business -- 3/18
PRG -- 5/18

All still open except the Ameriprise (closed after 12 mos) and Surpass (closed 12/17, which was a bad move).

Have you been putting regular spend on the cards?

halamadrid Jun 30, 2018 12:04 am

Originally Posted by poisson (Post 29914275)

It seems like closing cards has more of an effect on getting the pop up. Can you share if you've closed any Amex cards during that period? Thanks.

poisson Jul 2, 2018 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid (Post 29922540)
It seems like closing cards has more of an effect on getting the pop up. Can you share if you've closed any Amex cards during that period? Thanks.

Nope, I haven't closed any cards in 24mo. The only AMEX card I've ever closed was a BCP about 3yr ago.

For my particular case, I'm thinking that opening more than 2 cards in the past year and not putting a lot of spend on them is a big factor.

mia Jul 3, 2018 8:30 am

American Express has added something else...

In mid-June I applied for a Premier Rewards Gold card using a targeted 50k/$2k/Fee Waived offer. I have had this card before, but the offer did not include the exclusion language. Today, I received an email reminding me of the terms of the bonus, and I think this is the first time I have received such.

mia, A reminder about your Premier Rewards Gold Card welcome bonus

We're excited to welcome you as a new Premier Rewards Gold Card Member, and wanted to take this opportunity to remind you of the welcome bonus that comes with your Card.

Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your Card to spend $2,000 or more in purchases within your first three months of Card Membership.1

These extra points will be credited to your Membership Rewards program account within 8-12 weeks after the charges appear on your billing statement. Your welcome bonus is subject to offer terms which are outlined at the bottom of this email.

We hope you'll continue to explore your Card benefits, including the many ways you can earn and use Membership Rewards points.

Thank you for your Card Membership,

American Express Customer Care

Terms and Conditions

1. To be eligible to earn the 50,000 Membership Rewards points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards program at the time of eligible purchase. 50,000 Membership Rewards points will be credited to your account after you charge a total of $2,000 (the "Threshold Amount") or more of eligible purchases on your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Eligible purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases to meet the Threshold Amount do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply.

Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 8-12 weeks after the last eligible purchase you made to meet the Threshold Amount appears on your monthly billing statement. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome bonus offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome bonus offer (s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit Membership Rewards points to, we may freeze Membership Rewards points credited to, or we may take away Membership Rewards points from your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us. If you have any questions regarding this offer, please call the number on the back of your Card.

Your Card account must not be canceled or past due at the time of fulfillment of any offers. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time.

In rare instances, your period to spend $2,000 may be shorter than 3 months if there is a delay in receiving your Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the 3 month period in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped).

Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards® program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice.

The value of Membership Rewards points varies according to how you choose to use them. To learn more, go to www.membershiprewards.com/pointsinfo.

Lumpylump76 Jul 3, 2018 10:21 am

For those of you who got the Bonus Denial popup, please fill out the survey on reddit so we can track what AmEx is using to make these decisions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...ection_thread/

wwongo Jul 3, 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29933058)
In mid-June I applied for a Premier Rewards Gold card using a targeted 50k/$2k/Fee Waived offer. I have had this card before, but the offer did not include the exclusion language. Today, I received an email reminding me of the terms of the bonus, and I think this is the first time I have received such.

I recently applied for the exact same deal on the PRG. I have had the card before too. I don't remember getting an email reminding me of the terms. I applied in late May. I have done the spend and the points posted a couple of days later. That was my 4th Amex card in the last 12 months and my 7th in the past 24. I currently have 6 amex cards and other than upgrading my business gold to a platinum when the annual fee comes due, I am planning to leave Amex as is for awhile. I do put spend on the cards(not manufactured spend) but I don't want to push my luck.

LWT3 Jul 4, 2018 5:45 am

Originally Posted by poisson (Post 29918245)
Have you been putting regular spend on the cards?

Yes on the MR cards, no on the others.

Diplomatico Jul 4, 2018 8:35 am

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 29916724)
Data Point:

Everyday -- 3/17
Ameriprise -- 3/17
Hilton Surpass -- 6/17
SPG Personal -- 12/17
SPG Business -- 3/18
Hilton Business -- 3/18
PRG -- 5/18

Closed the Hilton Surpass after only six months of having it? Not a wise decision, methinks.

aybesea Jul 5, 2018 12:28 pm

So I just got the "too many cards opened and closed" message from Amex during the online application for an Aspire. I'm not happy, but not surprised either. This will make my 11th card from Amex. My last new card was in May 15... Hilton Business.

Anyway, I went ahead with the card since I'm taking a Hilton trip and want the perks (29x and Diamond is crazy cool!), but there's a data point.

I was subsequently approved for the card.