Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
I'm sorry, but
By contrast, the points earning potential from routine spending has quite literally never been better (and may indeed be in a bubble which pops at some point or another, back down to more 2x points per dollar rather than the 3-4-5x points per dollar we're now seeing on many cards).

Routine spending yields only a tiny fraction of the number of miles/points that card churning did. They're not even comparable. Not sure why everyone even considers this a viable method of earning rewards. If I had to rely on this anemic strategy, I'd still be saving up for my first award flight (in economy class).
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Without credit card rewards, there would be no reason to use a credit card
Considering that a lot of people (in the US at least) mistakenly think that debit cards have absolutely zero fraud protection whatsoever, I'm sure a bunch of people would still use credit cards even without any rewards. Plus there's still CDW and other insurance-related coverage.

Originally Posted by bgriff
By contrast, the points earning potential from routine spending has quite literally never been better (and may indeed be in a bubble which pops at some point or another, back down to more 2x points per dollar rather than the 3-4-5x points per dollar we're now seeing on many cards).
This may end sooner than we realize. Merchants aren't really happy about even lower end cards being labeled Visa Signature/World MC given that they command higher interchange fees.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:00 pm

SPG Denied Offer? Weird

I have a buddy that signed up for a DELTA AMEX CARD (with 70K miles). I think he signed up for that card on Jan 18 and met the spending limit already. He was trying to get that SPG AMEX card before it's gone but he is getting an "you are not eligible to receive this welcome offer" (see attached). He has never had the SPG AMEX card (or any SPG product)

Is that DELTA AMEX blocking the SPG offer? Any thought if he should still sign up

Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Having certain Marriott, RC or JP Morgan cards will keep one from getting the SPG card. Fine print:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott Rewards Credit Card from Chase, or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® Credit Card from JP Morgan in the last 30 days.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Having certain Marriott, RC or JP Morgan cards will keep one from getting the SPG card. Fine print:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott Rewards Credit Card from Chase, or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® Credit Card from JP Morgan in the last 30 days.
Confirmed he never applied for any Marriott product in his life. The last card was a DELTA AMEX card on Jan 18. Prior to that it was the World of Hyatt Card like in Nov/Dec

Last edited by bdelariva; Feb 7, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The DL card shouldn't preclude him from the getting the SPG card. It might be an issue of applying for 2 cards in less than 30 days. Might try waiting a couple weeks and then calling in and applying over the phone. ??? BUT, the offer goes bye-bye on 2/12 I think. He might be out of luck.

Last edited by philemer; Feb 7, 2019 at 2:06 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
The DL card shouldn't preclude him from the getting the SPG card. It might be an issue of applying for 2 cards in less than 30 days. Might try waiting a couple weeks and then calling in and applying over the phone. ???
He might be out of luck since that SPG AMEX card is going away on Feb 12th. Bad timing
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdelariva
He might be out of luck since that SPG AMEX card is going away on Feb 12th. Bad timing
Yes, edited my post while you were posting.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In addition to the Marriott-specific reasons, American Express has a general caveat:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bdelariva
Interestingly, Amex still had a staffed booth at NRT just this week, promoting new signups for the (Japanese) SPG Amex card.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Steve M
Interestingly, Amex still had a staffed booth at NRT just this week, promoting new signups for the (Japanese) SPG Amex card.
I'm guessing that because Chase doesn't issue cards in that market, Amex might get to keep it. Perhaps the dual issuer situation only applies to the USA issued cards?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
.... dual issuer situation only applies to the USA issued cards?
Correct, no change for Amex cards issued in Japan , UK, or UAE at this time:

https://credit-cards.marriott.com/en-gb/amex-jp

https://credit-cards.marriott.com/en-gb/amex-uk

https://credit-cards.marriott.com/en-gb/mastercard-uae
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

will not be approved-Hilton Business card

Wife applied for the Hilton Business card (125K bonus offer) and got the warning popup that she would not be approved because of something similar to:
Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility. Wording was a little different and also said she was "not eligible".

She decided not to pursue at this time. Disappointed but not shocked.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:30 am

After having bonus denied on new Platnium card - was able to get it through executive customer service.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
What number did you call and what did you say?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.