Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Amex just denied me a bonus for the Gold card citing that I abuse their system.

Pop up did not appear. Rep confirmed bonus over the phone after applying.

Now all of the sudden they deny my sign up bonus.
So I will give them time to do their investigation and later do a CFPB claim.
This is beginning to happen all too frequently with AMEX. They really need to fix their bonus approval/denial system.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:45 pm

Question/comment as I have never received a pop-up. Does a no pop up ensure that one is eligible for the sign up bonus? Meaning, does the offer terms actually change to omit the "we may consider open/close and other factors blah blah blah"? I thought the pop-up was certainly no bonus eligible whereas a no pop-up was a maybe, or maybe not, bonus eligible.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Troopers
Question/comment as I have never received a pop-up. Does a no pop up ensure that one is eligible for the sign up bonus? Meaning, does the offer terms actually change to omit the "we may consider open/close and other factors blah blah blah"? I thought the pop-up was certainly no bonus eligible whereas a no pop-up was a maybe, or maybe not, bonus eligible.
If you get a pop-up, it's going to tell you that you won't get the bonus, either: (a) because you've held the card previously or (b) based upon your history of opening/closing cards, abuse, gaming, etc.

If you do not get a pop-up, then you are presumably entering into an agreement with AMEX to commit a certain amount of minimum spend in order to obtain the bonus that AMEX offers in writing to new applicants (as with any other credit card offer.)

Unfortunately, AMEX now seems to be offering bonuses then unilaterally cancelling (also called "reneging on") the offer after the fact, despite the apparent absence of gaming, abuse, etc..

Hasn't happed to me (yet, knock on wood) but appears to be an increasing occurrence.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Dec 11, 2018 at 7:20 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
If you do not get a pop-up, then you are presumably entering into an agreement with AMEX to commit a certain amount of minimum spend in order to obtain the bonus that AMEX offers in writing to new applicants (as with any other credit card offer.)

Unfortunately, AMEX now seems to be offering bonuses then unilaterally cancelling (also called "reneging on") the offer after the fact, despite the apparent absence of gaming, abuse, etc.
But the terms did not change, right? Bonus eligibility remains unchanged even if the pop up does not appear...it's no different than pre-pop up. I'm failing to see how Amex is reneging
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:36 am

But the terms did not change, right? Bonus eligibility remains unchanged even if the pop up does not appear...it's no different than pre-pop up. I'm failing to see how Amex is reneging
If the terms of the application say you'll receive 60k MR points for meeting 5k in spend in 90 days - those are the terms of the agreement, no? And if AMEX then decides later (for no apparent reason) to refuse to honor those terms after the customer fulfilled their end - you don't think that's reneging? (Serious question because I'm not understanding your viewpoint.)
roberto99 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Hopefully everyone reads this and takes note:

The pop up only states you will not get the bonus. The lack of pop up does not affirm you will get a bonus. It’s an early warning system that may trigger for you. You still need to meet the terms of the agreement. In the agreement usually there is once per lifetime language if it is a regular link and get past the draconian “if we in our sole discretion” language they throw in there. I’ll go against most of the general advice when it comes to AMEX and say don’t bother wasting your time filing a CFPB complaint, writing to the office of the CEO, etc. etc. AMEX doesn’t care.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:57 am

If the terms of the application say you'll receive 60k MR points for meeting 5k in spend in 90 days - those are the terms of the agreement, no? And if AMEX then decides later (for no apparent reason) to refuse to honor those terms after the customer fulfilled their end - you don't think that's reneging? (Serious question because I'm not understanding your viewpoint.)
Yes, and the terms also state that Amex may also consider other factors, blah blah blah, and that they may not award the bonus points and more.

Offer terms (from the personal gold card) :

OFFER TERMS

Welcome Offer not available to applicants who have or have had this card or the Premier Reward Gold Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer (s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit the welcome offer to, we may freeze the welcome offer credited to, or we may take away the welcome offer from your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us.
It seems to me that the quoted terms above are erroneously being ignored if there is no pop up.

Originally Posted by jags86
The pop up only states you will not get the bonus. The lack of pop up does not affirm you will get a bonus. It’s an early warning system that may trigger for you. You still need to meet the terms of the agreement. In the agreement usually there is once per lifetime language if it is a regular link and get past the draconian “if we in our sole discretion” language they throw in there. I’ll go against most of the general advice when it comes to AMEX and say don’t bother wasting your time filing a CFPB complaint, writing to the office of the CEO, etc. etc. AMEX doesn’t care.

I concur, thus my recent posts.

Last edited by Troopers; Dec 12, 2018 at 11:03 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It seems to me that the quoted terms above are erroneously being ignored if there is no pop up.
I think the absence of the popup is taken to mean that American Express' automated system evaluated the applicant's history in real time, and determined that they qualify for the bonus.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by mia
I think the absence of the popup is taken to mean that American Express' automated system evaluated the applicant's history in real time, and determined that they qualify for the bonus.
If Amex intended to mean that, the terms would be silent about bonus eligibility blurb that I quoted. But it doesn't.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:55 am

Yes, and the terms also state that Amex may also consider other factors, blah blah blah, and that they may not award the bonus points and more.
Didn't want to quote your monster text......

If you read through this thread (and as noted on other sites) you'll find that AMEX is denying bonuses even though there is no evidence of those other factors. Yes, they have always had discretionary language to penalize misuse/abuse - but it now appears to be randomly applied to applicants who don't meet that criteria.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Didn't want to quote your monster text......

If you read through this thread (and as noted on other sites) you'll find that AMEX is denying bonuses even though there is no evidence of those other factors. Yes, they have always had discretionary language to penalize misuse/abuse - but it now appears to be randomly applied to applicants who don't meet that criteria.
The reality is is that people lie. I am not defending the banks, but 99.9% of the time when someone comes on here and says “XYZ bank treated me so unfairly wahhhh I’m a perfect customers, etc. etc. etc.” they are not being truthful, or at best “misremembering”. Banks don’t take unilateral adverse action against good customers, there’s always a reason. Now AMEX has some sort of algorithm for deciding whether or not you are bonus eligible. For all we know it has 3 levels—auto deny (pop up seen), auto approve (no pop up), manual review (no pop up). Even with the pop ups, terms, etc. AMEX is by far the most generous CC company (Citibank IT shenanigans ignored) so I’m just looking to work within the rules.

Diplomatico and JustinTJ like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by jags86

The reality is is that people lie. I am not defending the banks, but 99.9% of the time when someone comes on here and says “XYZ bank treated me so unfairly wahhhh I’m a perfect customers, etc. etc. etc.” they are not being truthful, or at best “misremembering”. Banks don’t take unilateral adverse action against good customers, there’s always a reason. Now AMEX has some sort of algorithm for deciding whether or not you are bonus eligible. For all we know it has 3 levels—auto deny (pop up seen), auto approve (no pop up), manual review (no pop up). Even with the pop ups, terms, etc. AMEX is by far the most generous CC company (Citibank IT shenanigans ignored) so I’m just looking to work within the rules.

^
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:33 pm

I'm aware. My original question/comment was how the pop up relates to the thread topic. Amex policies haven't changed. People now have the benefit of definitive bonus denial when a pop up occurs.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Might there also be a technical explanation for applicants who did not see a popup, but are denied a bonus?

Originally Posted by mia
I suppose now we will have a wave of bonuses denied for people whose browser blocked the popups .
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mia
Might there also be a technical explanation for applicants who did not see a popup, but are denied a bonus?
I don't think it is possible, about a popup blocker suppressing the popup. I mean, the depictions of the popup says that unless the applicant positively acknowledges and clicks ok on the popup the application will be considered withdrawn and no further action will be taken on it. So if a popup blocker suppresses the popup, the application will not be approved (or denied, for that matter).
beltway and mia like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.