Reasons to renew SPG Business?

Old May 11, 18, 5:58 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Posts: 205
Reasons to renew SPG Business?

No retention offer and won't get the bonus night because my annual fee isn't due after August 1. Called and asked about not getting the free night while losing other benefits. Their reply was too bad. Are there any reasons to keep the card? Just a minimal spend on the card. Thanks for any help
shanna135 is offline  
Old May 11, 18, 6:38 am
  #2  
yrs
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WAS (IAD, DCA, BWI)
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Posts: 234
I am in the same boat, wondering what to do. I have both the business and personal SPG Amex cards, as well as the MR cards.
The earnings power of the SPG will be diminished. The only benefit left would be the free night. I am tempted to cancel both business cards (SPG and MR).
yrs is offline  
Old May 11, 18, 10:08 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
Posts: 3,052
Also the elite night credits no longer stack.
nall is offline  
Old May 11, 18, 10:24 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 87,052
....but you do get the nights credit, IIRC 15 nights in the new program, from one card. For someone without another Starriott card, that could be worth the annual fee.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 11, 18, 11:08 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Posts: 61
We just called to cancel the SPG Biz Card. The agent acknowledged that a lot of people have been calling Amex to complain about the changes, but then proceeded straight to cancelling the card without any retention offer.

I donít think Amex, or more likely Marriott, cares about this card all that much.....

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
....but you do get the nights credit, IIRC 15 nights in the new program, from one card. For someone without another Starriott card, that could be worth the annual fee.
jch636 is offline  
Old May 11, 18, 2:21 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 213
I'm deciding to cancel my SPG Biz. No retention offer when I called previously, and I don't think I'll get enough out of this card to keep it. But that leaves me with no SPG/Marriott cards, so I need to find a way to keep the points that I have alive. Suggestions?

Also, I figured the SPG Premier card might be worth applying for later, if I want to continue to hold an SPG card...
--Kyle
kyamnitz is offline  
Old May 11, 18, 3:56 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 96
Everyday spend?

I donít plan to renew either, so Iím also interested in how to keep points alive, as well as what members here plan to do in terms of switching their every day spend.
nyc2cal is offline  
Old May 11, 18, 6:25 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 539
won't get the bonus night because my annual fee isn't due after August 1.
I thought the bonus night eligibility date is the anniversary of when your card opened (which can be significantly earlier than when the annual fee is due depending on when statement closes).

My spg card anniverary is in mid-July, which means the annual fee will hit my account in early-August, and then due end-August. I'm not expecting to get the anniversary bonus night, should I?
nomiiiii is offline  
Old May 11, 18, 6:27 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoCal
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 246
Why not keep the SPG Bus card for $95/yr, you will get 35k point night stay starting in 2019 on anniversary date which will easily be worth the AF?
mhdena likes this.
kenme1 is offline  
Old May 11, 18, 8:03 pm
  #10  
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,972
All the discussions hare are funny. If you do not travel, then why you opened the SPG hotel card? Just to use it to earn SPG and transfer to airline? Then get CSR or an airline card.

If you travel at least once a year, the annual reward night pays handsomely. What SPG/Marriott hotel that costs less than $95 a night?
RedSun is online now  
Old May 11, 18, 10:56 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North America
Posts: 2,036
Originally Posted by kenme1 View Post
Why not keep the SPG Bus card for $95/yr, you will get 35k point night stay starting in 2019 on anniversary date which will easily be worth the AF?
Yes. This probably would be the biggest reason to keep the SPG cards open. That and maybe AmEx offers (if you take enough advantage of them). That's about it.
CodeAdam10 is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 10:21 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
Posts: 3,052
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
All the discussions hare are funny. If you do not travel, then why you opened the SPG hotel card? Just to use it to earn SPG and transfer to airline? Then get CSR or an airline card.
Many of us had a personal and business SPG or MR card because the elite nights stacked, or this particular card because of the Sheraton lounge access. Those benefits are gone - meaning the value of holding multiple cards is only the free night.

Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
If you travel at least once a year, the annual reward night pays handsomely. What SPG/Marriott hotel that costs less than $95 a night?
Maybe. But if you have multiple cards, the free nights likely become available and expire at different times. Also, while I have gotten good value of the Marriott certificates, I know plenty of people that have not been able to find a qualifying hotel that works for them during their travels.
nall is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 11:54 am
  #13  
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,972
Originally Posted by nall View Post
Many of us had a personal and business SPG or MR card because the elite nights stacked, or this particular card because of the Sheraton lounge access. Those benefits are gone - meaning the value of holding multiple cards is only the free night.

Maybe. But if you have multiple cards, the free nights likely become available and expire at different times. Also, while I have gotten good value of the Marriott certificates, I know plenty of people that have not been able to find a qualifying hotel that works for them during their travels.
When I read your two parts, they contradict each other. One is that, you get Marriott/SPG free night now, so it is one reason to keep the SPG card. Then the 2nd part, you say for some people the free night is not worth it.

Then just cancel the card and move on. It is so easy. Some people still want to open the Chase Marriott personal card and Chase won't allow it due to the 5/24.
RedSun is online now  
Old May 12, 18, 4:25 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
Posts: 3,052
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
When I read your two parts, they contradict each other. One is that, you get Marriott/SPG free night now, so it is one reason to keep the SPG card. Then the 2nd part, you say for some people the free night is not worth it.
The first paragraph was talking about elite credits, not the annual free night.
nall is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 6:19 pm
  #15  
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,972
Originally Posted by nall View Post
The first paragraph was talking about elite credits, not the annual free night.
Here we are discussing the new SPG Biz card. The current SPG biz card will be gone.

So if you value annual night, keep the card. Or just cancel it. We get 4 SPG cards in the family and we'll decide on what to do. Also get the biz Marriott card. No rush to do anything.
RedSun is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: