Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reasons to renew SPG Business?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by RedSun
All the discussions hare are funny. If you do not travel, then why you opened the SPG hotel card? Just to use it to earn SPG and transfer to airline? Then get CSR or an airline card.
If you don't understand why people got the card who don't stay at SPG properties a lot, then you weren't really familiar with what the differences have been among the options you mentioned.

The pool of Ultimate Rewards transfer partners is significantly smaller than SPG's partners. UR transfers lack the 5K bonus/20K so the effective earn rate on everyday unbonused spend has been superior compared to CSR (though not CFU). CSR has other advantages of course.

Most airline branded cards have poor everyday unbonused earn rates in comparison to this current card (factoring the 5K bonus), though there are other benefits and initial bonuses.

Each person's goals and plans differ so any of the above are viable components of a travel rewards earning plan. And many of us would have all of the above. In any case, maybe this helps you understand why such folks would have obtained the card and now wondering whether to keep.

(Should go without saying but the above reference the current card and program)
pallhedge, mhdena and Troopers like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
IIRC they haven't announced the exact point level of the SPG business card going forward, and for now they just put in generic "restricted" language or something of that sort.
Redemption level is at 35,000 pts or less.

Marriott Rewards Credit Cards
Old May 24, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I hope Chase matches the Marriott business card to 35k points like the two SPG cards, especially since it's at $99.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:42 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by 84fiero
If you don't understand why people got the card who don't stay at SPG properties a lot, then you weren't really familiar with what the differences have been among the options you mentioned.

The pool of Ultimate Rewards transfer partners is significantly smaller than SPG's partners. UR transfers lack the 5K bonus/20K so the effective earn rate on everyday unbonused spend has been superior compared to CSR (though not CFU). CSR has other advantages of course.

Most airline branded cards have poor everyday unbonused earn rates in comparison to this current card (factoring the 5K bonus), though there are other benefits and initial bonuses.

Each person's goals and plans differ so any of the above are viable components of a travel rewards earning plan. And many of us would have all of the above. In any case, maybe this helps you understand why such folks would have obtained the card and now wondering whether to keep.

(Should go without saying but the above reference the current card and program)
I understand all the hotel, airline and credit card reward really well. You do not need to tell me that. Thx.

IMO, even with the 25% bonus, transferring SPG points to airlines is not a good move. I'd rather xfer my AmEx MR points to airlines and use the alliance to book on the airlines we desire. There are so many ways to book the reward flights. I'd rather keep the SPG points for the best use or values.

Of course your point valuations can differ. Then we differ. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.