Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reasons to renew SPG Business?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Reasons to renew SPG Business?

No retention offer and won't get the bonus night because my annual fee isn't due after August 1. Called and asked about not getting the free night while losing other benefits. Their reply was too bad. Are there any reasons to keep the card? Just a minimal spend on the card. Thanks for any help
Old May 11, 2018, 5:38 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
I am in the same boat, wondering what to do. I have both the business and personal SPG Amex cards, as well as the MR cards.
The earnings power of the SPG will be diminished. The only benefit left would be the free night. I am tempted to cancel both business cards (SPG and MR).
Old May 11, 2018, 9:08 am

Also the elite night credits no longer stack.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
....but you do get the nights credit, IIRC 15 nights in the new program, from one card. For someone without another Starriott card, that could be worth the annual fee.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
We just called to cancel the SPG Biz Card. The agent acknowledged that a lot of people have been calling Amex to complain about the changes, but then proceeded straight to cancelling the card without any retention offer.

I don’t think Amex, or more likely Marriott, cares about this card all that much.....

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
....but you do get the nights credit, IIRC 15 nights in the new program, from one card. For someone without another Starriott card, that could be worth the annual fee.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:21 pm

I'm deciding to cancel my SPG Biz. No retention offer when I called previously, and I don't think I'll get enough out of this card to keep it. But that leaves me with no SPG/Marriott cards, so I need to find a way to keep the points that I have alive. Suggestions?

Also, I figured the SPG Premier card might be worth applying for later, if I want to continue to hold an SPG card...
--Kyle
Old May 11, 2018, 2:56 pm

Everyday spend?

I don’t plan to renew either, so I’m also interested in how to keep points alive, as well as what members here plan to do in terms of switching their every day spend.
Old May 11, 2018, 5:25 pm

won't get the bonus night because my annual fee isn't due after August 1.
I thought the bonus night eligibility date is the anniversary of when your card opened (which can be significantly earlier than when the annual fee is due depending on when statement closes).

My spg card anniverary is in mid-July, which means the annual fee will hit my account in early-August, and then due end-August. I'm not expecting to get the anniversary bonus night, should I?
Old May 11, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Why not keep the SPG Bus card for $95/yr, you will get 35k point night stay starting in 2019 on anniversary date which will easily be worth the AF?
mhdena likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:03 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

All the discussions hare are funny. If you do not travel, then why you opened the SPG hotel card? Just to use it to earn SPG and transfer to airline? Then get CSR or an airline card.

If you travel at least once a year, the annual reward night pays handsomely. What SPG/Marriott hotel that costs less than $95 a night?
Old May 11, 2018, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by kenme1
Why not keep the SPG Bus card for $95/yr, you will get 35k point night stay starting in 2019 on anniversary date which will easily be worth the AF?
Yes. This probably would be the biggest reason to keep the SPG cards open. That and maybe AmEx offers (if you take enough advantage of them). That's about it.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
All the discussions hare are funny. If you do not travel, then why you opened the SPG hotel card? Just to use it to earn SPG and transfer to airline? Then get CSR or an airline card.
Many of us had a personal and business SPG or MR card because the elite nights stacked, or this particular card because of the Sheraton lounge access. Those benefits are gone - meaning the value of holding multiple cards is only the free night.

If you travel at least once a year, the annual reward night pays handsomely. What SPG/Marriott hotel that costs less than $95 a night?
Maybe. But if you have multiple cards, the free nights likely become available and expire at different times. Also, while I have gotten good value of the Marriott certificates, I know plenty of people that have not been able to find a qualifying hotel that works for them during their travels.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nall
Many of us had a personal and business SPG or MR card because the elite nights stacked, or this particular card because of the Sheraton lounge access. Those benefits are gone - meaning the value of holding multiple cards is only the free night.

Maybe. But if you have multiple cards, the free nights likely become available and expire at different times. Also, while I have gotten good value of the Marriott certificates, I know plenty of people that have not been able to find a qualifying hotel that works for them during their travels.
When I read your two parts, they contradict each other. One is that, you get Marriott/SPG free night now, so it is one reason to keep the SPG card. Then the 2nd part, you say for some people the free night is not worth it.

Then just cancel the card and move on. It is so easy. Some people still want to open the Chase Marriott personal card and Chase won't allow it due to the 5/24.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:25 pm

When I read your two parts, they contradict each other. One is that, you get Marriott/SPG free night now, so it is one reason to keep the SPG card. Then the 2nd part, you say for some people the free night is not worth it.
The first paragraph was talking about elite credits, not the annual free night.
Old May 12, 2018, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nall
The first paragraph was talking about elite credits, not the annual free night.
Here we are discussing the new SPG Biz card. The current SPG biz card will be gone.

So if you value annual night, keep the card. Or just cancel it. We get 4 SPG cards in the family and we'll decide on what to do. Also get the biz Marriott card. No rush to do anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.