Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Case for Transferring all Canadian MR points to SPG before August?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Case for Transferring all Canadian MR points to SPG before August?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Hi,

I see some people recommend Canadian Amex holders to transfer all Amex MR points to SPG at 2:1 before August 1, in case CA Amex MR gets devalued to 3:1 ratio.

I have 150K MR points now; should I do this? I generally transfer MR to Aeroplan or BA Avios to suit our flight needs but now that Arroplan is likely getting crappier in 2020, the only viable transfer option for MR is BA Avios at 1:1, with 30% bonus twice a year.

Should I, as someone who travels once or twice a year to Europe or Asia, transfer all my MR to SPG as a speculative move? I have the CA Amex Plat and SPG Amex.
Would like to add that CA MR points cannot be transferred to AA, Alaska, KrisFlyer etc.

Last edited by mia; May 2, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Old May 2, 2018, 2:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Would you be transferring the Starpoints to airline miles before August 1st, or allowing them to rollover to New Marriott points?

Would you be redeeming the New Marriott points for hotel stays or for airline miles?

The new base airline ratio has been published (60,000:25000), but I do not know if Travel Packages rates have been published.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by mia
Would you be transferring the Starpoints to airline miles before August 1st, or allowing them to rollover to New Marriott points?

Would you be redeeming the New Marriott points for hotel stays or for airline miles?

The new base airline ratio has been published (60,000:25000), but I do not know if Travel Packages rates have been published.
To be honest I am unsure right now. I used to keep Amex for that very purpose - topping SPG account up for a stay, topping Aeroplan or Avios for a flight, and using SPG transfer to Marriott for a travel package. I value the flexibility. We are on the east coast (YYZ) so I find myself redeeming for CX, JAL and BR throughout the years.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
As I’ve stated for months in the Amex Canada thread, I’ve been doing this with our churn team now since the beginning of the year. I’ve banked almost 2M SPG points, and strongly suggest you do the same. Canada has already had a more favorable transfer rate to Spg than the US, and with the merger it just makes more sense now than ever. Message me if you have questions about my strategy and plans. Marriott travel packages are just so flexible and such a good deal.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
I'm also trying to figure out what to do with my MR points. In the past I transferred everything to aeroplan. My goal was and is business class flights to South East Asia every winter. I stopped the transfers a while ago and still have over 500k aeroplan, who knows what they will worth in 2020.

I currently have about 250k MR and 50k SPG. I'm not sure if there's a better option than dumping the MR into SPG before August. I looked at Avios, but they don't seem to be a good value for my needs. I briefly looked in Asia Miles but that seems to be a mess and really hard to figure out.

I also read that the Amex agreement with aeroplan ends in Dec. I wonder if they will add more airline transfer partners, anyone hear anything about that? I don't really get why there are so many more options in the U.S.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

spg will certainly have a lot of airline transfer partners

before aug
40K amex > 20K SPG > 60K marriott > 25K miles = 1.6 > 1

after aug
120k amex > 60k points > 25k miles = 4.8 > 1
180K amex > 60K points > 25K miles = 7.2 > 1
Old May 16, 2018, 1:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
... 1.6 > 1...4.8 > 1... 7.2 > 1
The points ratios do not mean much unless we know the amount of spending required to generate the New Marriott Points. We know this for the USA cards, but (to my knowledge) not for the Canadian cards.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
As I’ve stated for months in the Amex Canada thread, I’ve been doing this with our churn team now since the beginning of the year. I’ve banked almost 2M SPG points, and strongly suggest you do the same. Canada has already had a more favorable transfer rate to Spg than the US, and with the merger it just makes more sense now than ever. Message me if you have questions about my strategy and plans. Marriott travel packages are just so flexible and such a good deal.
I have 7 figure Canadian MR. My transfers are primarily to Air Canada (Aeroplan) and would like to move a position to SPG prior to Aug 1. My most frequent transfer partners are Air Canada and other Star Alliance, SPG, Delta (occasional). Should I send a large position to SPG prior to Aug 1 knowing the uncertainty of transfers to AC post 2020?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC*E50, AE dBlack, Club Carlson Concierge, NEXUS
I've already made my large points move from my Cobalt's MR to SPG; I've got a bunch of hotel nights to cover on my next big vacation.

I haven't seen any official ratios on AmEx Canada; regardless, the 2:3 ratio right now seems pretty darn good for Marriott (via SPG).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by daveyurek
I have 7 figure Canadian MR. My transfers are primarily to Air Canada (Aeroplan) and would like to move a position to SPG prior to Aug 1. My most frequent transfer partners are Air Canada and other Star Alliance, SPG, Delta (occasional). Should I send a large position to SPG prior to Aug 1 knowing the uncertainty of transfers to AC post 2020?
your points, your call. But that’s what I did. Ended up with about 6M Marriott points. Bought a 7 night/120K Alaska Airlines travel package yesterday, and will buy another before the end of the month. Still will leave me with over 5 M points to play with. Transfers to SPG/Marriott give you that choice of transfers to airlines too, so I like that flexibility. Post merger, though, if you want airline points, your best bet is just to go 60K Marriott points to 25K airline points. The travel packages will be too devalued. Stock up on travel packages now, before the end of this month. I will have four in my account by month’s end.

the other issue is this: if you don’t transfer them to SPG now, you’ll never be able to again, and then what will you use them for? Delta, at less than 1:1? Aeros, with no one really knowing what they’ll be able to buy in two years? Avios, when half the time their site doesn’t even populate AA flights at all? I don’t think so. I got out while the getting was good: SPG, IMO, is the way to go big time.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:33 am

I am UK based, and was wondering if I should transfer my MR points to SPG before August. I will keep them in SPG ultimately (not transferring to any airlines).

In the UK, the ratio is 2 MR to 1 SPG currently. Does anyone know if this is likely to be devalued in the new program? As far I can see there isn’t even any info on the new Amex SPG credit cards for the UK market, which may have given me some clues about the new transfer ratio for MR.

As it is, the current Amex SPG card earns you 1 point per GBP, so already ~30% worse off compared to the US!

Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
The new transfer ratio for AMEX Canada for MR to Marriott will be 1000:1200. So effectively 20% devaluation from the AMEX-SPG ratio. I would lean that the UK ratio will be similiar...
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:42 pm

Thanks, it’s useful to know the new ratio for Canada, it’s a good reference...

I called up Amex today and they said the ratio in the UK will remain unchanged for the time being, and any changes would in any case have to be communicated at least a month in advance. The UK seems to be lagging the US/Canada... even with the SPG Amex card over here, there have been no changes announced yet. I guess I’m better off the longer it stays the same!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Ishan23
Thanks, it’s useful to know the new ratio for Canada, it’s a good reference...

I called up Amex today and they said the ratio in the UK will remain unchanged for the time being, and any changes would in any case have to be communicated at least a month in advance. The UK seems to be lagging the US/Canada... even with the SPG Amex card over here, there have been no changes announced yet. I guess I’m better off the longer it stays the same!
That's nonsense. There is a) no way the UK card will remain at 2:1 which would instantly make anyone transferring to new Marriott a nutcase and b) Amex wouldn't be changing anything so it doesn't need to give notice. Marriott is simply multiplying all SPG balances x 3.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:02 pm

Oh, I think I didn’t explain it well enough - by unchanged I meant no devaluation (yet). So it would basically switch from 2 MR per 1 SPG, to 2 MR to 3 Marriott (or whatever it will be called).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.