Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does spending by additional card holder (AU) count for new card bonus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

Quick question on the Platinum card. I might have a little trouble hitting the 5k spend, and I see it comes with free gold card also. If I get a gold card for a friend, does his spend count towards my 5k minimum? I am assuming it does, but did not want to assume and end up SOL.

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Yes it counts
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
To be eligible to earn the 60,000 Membership Rewards points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards Program at the time of the eligible purchases. 60,000 Membership Rewards points will be credited to your account after you charge a total of $5,000 (the "Threshold Amount") or more of purchases on your Platinum Card® from American Express within the first 3 months of Platinum Card Membership starting from the date your account is approved. In rare instances, your period to spend $5,000 may be shorter than 3 months if there is a delay in receiving your Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the 3 month period in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped). Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 8-12 weeks after you meet the Threshold Amount. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome bonus offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome bonus offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit Membership Reward points to, we may freeze Membership Rewards points credited to, or we may take away Membership Rewards points. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us. Eligible purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. The following eligible purchases do NOT count towards the Threshold Amount: fees or interest charges; purchases of travelers checks; purchases or reloading of prepaid cards; purchases of gift cards; person-to-person payments; or purchases of other cash equivalents. Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 8-12 weeks after you meet the Threshold Amount.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-0#offer-terms
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Quick question on the Platinum card. I might have a little trouble hitting the 5k spend, and I see it comes with free gold card also. If I get a gold card for a friend, does his spend count towards my 5k minimum? I am assuming it does, but did not want to assume and end up SOL.

Thanks
Do you really want to get an additional card for your friend on your account just to get the welcome bonus points? I hope you really know and trust that friend.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:54 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you really want to get an additional card for your friend on your account just to get the welcome bonus points? I hope you really know and trust that friend.
Yes, a real friend to get friend to share the spending. The OP may have had the wrong card. There are so many other ways that you can do the initial spending. Keep reading.

Some of the small business cards (BGR, SPG and Plat) all have high spending, like $7k to $10k. Some people do not even have real business and still be able to meet the spending requirements. The 35k SPG points are sweet, but with $7k spending. Do not know if that bonus will return again.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Yes, a best friend/partner of almost 50 years, and does all the traveling with me. We also own property together. I normally would not have issue meeting the spend, have done it with many other cards, it is just right now my spending habits are in flux, and I do not have the time or energy for manufacturing. I cancelled my Prestige card a while back, and miss the lounge access, is the only reason I applied for it. Already have CSP, so the CSR was not an option.

Anyhow, thanks again, and Thanks MIA, I read that but was unclear if the free GOLD qualified, or if they had to be the purchased PLATINUM additional card.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:36 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Have fun with the spending.

We may want to change the title to something like "Meet Spending or New Plat Card". I first thought there is a "New Platinum Card" coming out. I got excited about this. Then this is about spending, not new card.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedSun
Have fun with the spending.

We may want to change the title to something like "Meet Spending or New Plat Card". I first thought there is a "New Platinum Card" coming out. I got excited about this. Then this is about spending, not new card.
I know, I am sorry. I immediately tried to edit it when I realized the title was horrible, but it would not let me. I alerted a moderator asking to change or delete it.

Last edited by tatterdema; Apr 29, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:28 am

What signup bonus offer are you getting? You might be better off just getting the Ameriprise Plat, with no first year annual fee, and avoid the hassle of meeting the min spend.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daw4888
What signup bonus offer are you getting? You might be better off just getting the Ameriprise Plat, with no first year annual fee, and avoid the hassle of meeting the min spend.
I got the 60k offer. I didn't see the Ameriprise card until after I applied and received the regular, or I might have gone that way, thanks. No worries though, between myself and my friend we will hit the spend. He has 5 grandkids and a couple unemployed kids, lol. Just a couple Costco runs for him will do it.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tatterdema
... Just a couple Costco runs for him will do it.
Costco no longer accepts American Express.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:14 am

there are a few non-MS things you can do to meet your spending:

1. prepay cell phone bills (go to the store or log in online and ask them to charge $xxxx on it)
2. prepay utility bills - usually cableco allows credit card payments
3. buy your reimbursable airline credit item now
4. buy your GE/TSA Precheck reimbursable charge now
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Costco no longer accepts American Express.
Well crap, I forgot all about that. He does a LOT of Costco shopping, lol. Hopefully I can talk him into putting his utilities on it for a couple months at least.

Originally Posted by mdosu
there are a few non-MS things you can do to meet your spending:

1. prepay cell phone bills (go to the store or log in online and ask them to charge $xxxx on it)
2. prepay utility bills - usually cableco allows credit card payments
3. buy your reimbursable airline credit item now
4. buy your GE/TSA Precheck reimbursable charge now
Thanks, probably will do the Airline purchase. I use Alaska Air a lot, so will probably just pre purchase my tickets for next years vacation if it gets close and looks like I am not going to make it. I have done the other things in the past as well, good advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.