Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:03 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Does anyone else think that the 12-16 weeks to reflect Platinum status once the spending requirement on the card has been met, seems like a ridiculously long time?
I mean , thats a quarter to a third of a year!!
You'd think one billing cyle would be enough to get that done in this day and age.
That's the same T&Cs for the posting timeline as on the old Marriott Chase card with its 1 elite night credit per $3k spent. In my experience the actual posting timeline for that is more like 3-6 weeks (though I have heard it can sometimes take longer) so hopefully the Amex timing will be similar.

Perhaps it will be different for Amex but the elite night credits from Chase do seem to have a weird habit of not posting around the same time as when the points from a statement close post.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:11 pm

Does anyone know how to get targeted for bonus points to upgrade the personal spg to a lux?
  • I've had the card since 2014
  • ~$60k spend since card open
  • ~$3k spend in last year
  • Received 7k/$1k retention offer last year
  • In the last 3 months moved a lot of my credit limit over to a new spg biz, although I still have $5.2k limit on the personal
  • In the last 3 months consolidated the spg personal from its own login to the profile that holds all my business cards
  • Currently have ~$20k charged across all amex accounts, will be reduced to ~$1k by early next week as I pay off balances
I tried calling in, but the rep said that there was no upgarde bonus linked to my account. I could upgrade the personal, but without a bonus attached. It might still make sense in my case dollar wise with the prorated af but still getting full $300 credit.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Has anyone received their lux AU cards yet. I applied the 23rd, got primary card on 27th, but not the AU card.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by asot550
Does anyone know how to get targeted for bonus points to upgrade the personal spg to a lux?
  • I've had the card since 2014
  • ~$60k spend since card open
  • ~$3k spend in last year
  • Received 7k/$1k retention offer last year
  • In the last 3 months moved a lot of my credit limit over to a new spg biz, although I still have $5.2k limit on the personal
  • In the last 3 months consolidated the spg personal from its own login to the profile that holds all my business cards
  • Currently have ~$20k charged across all amex accounts, will be reduced to ~$1k by early next week as I pay off balances
I tried calling in, but the rep said that there was no upgarde bonus linked to my account. I could upgrade the personal, but without a bonus attached. It might still make sense in my case dollar wise with the prorated af but still getting full $300 credit.
I upgraded my card a week ago with no bonus points to do so.

Today I received an offer for 100K to upgrade my card and spend 5k in 3 months.

Called Amex and they are reviewing my situation based on the fact I've been given an RSVP code to do so.

CSR also said they were alittle behind on this and people are only now getting emails with the invitation to upgrade.

Last edited by tattikat2; Aug 31, 2018 at 8:09 pm Reason: spelling. Always speeling...
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:12 pm

Does anyone know what the criteria is for the 15,000 upgrade offer vs the higher offers? I received a 15,000 upgrade offer, but I don't see how that makes sense to use when a new account would get the 100,000 bonus. I don't have any of the other Marriott or SPG cards, just the personal, on which I have a fairly sizable amount of spend over the past several years.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by djsinc
Does anyone know what the criteria is for the 15,000 upgrade offer vs the higher offers? I received a 15,000 upgrade offer, but I don't see how that makes sense to use when a new account would get the 100,000 bonus. I don't have any of the other Marriott or SPG cards, just the personal, on which I have a fairly sizable amount of spend over the past several years.
I received the 15K offer for 1K spend because I’ve been a light spender on my personal SPG card.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:04 am

I just received the 15,000 upgrade offer from Amex to upgrade my SPG card to Luxury but I would rather take out a new card to get the 100,000 bonus. I recently took a 20,000 point offer to upgrade my Chase Marriott card and due to the complicated qualifying requirements, I am not sure whether this has disqualified me from the new Amex SPG Luxury card 100,000 bonus. Anybody know?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:56 am

I think it does now. There was a 3 day window where current card holders of the Marriott or SPG could apply without penalty. I think that started on August 23. I got in early and have the card in hand. I could be wrong, but I think that is what the deal was.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa

I received the 15K offer for 1K spend because I’ve been a light spender on my personal SPG card.
Were you told that your spending was the reason for your level of offer, or are you speculating that they are connected?

I've had over 30k of spending each year and significantly more this year in particular, so I'm skeptical that past spending is the driver here.

Have there been any reports of people succesfully requesting a different upgrade offer?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Blind and Green
Has anyone received their lux AU cards yet. I applied the 23rd, got primary card on 27th, but not the AU card.
Got the AU card today. Primary card came UPS Priority, AU card came USPS first class mail.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Got the offer to upgrade my SPG to the SPG luxury a couple days ago for 100,000 points. One thing that has me confused is that the strict terms when applying for a new card, are not anywhere in the offer statement:
( Welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® Credit Card from JP Morgan in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase, or The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a welcome or upgrade offer for The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase, or The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 24 months.)

I have the Ritz-Carlton card that I don;t want to cancel. I am wondering if the above only applies to new applications and not to upgrades? Is it safe to assume that if the above language doesn't appear in the upgrade offer, that I should be ok?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by porphyra
Got the offer to upgrade my SPG to the SPG luxury a couple days ago for 100,000 points. One thing that has me confused is that the strict terms when applying for a new card, are not anywhere in the offer statement:
I have the Ritz-Carlton card that I don;t want to cancel. I am wondering if the above only applies to new applications and not to upgrades? Is it safe to assume that if the above language doesn't appear in the upgrade offer, that I should be ok?
You will be ok. Amex has targeted you for the upgrade.
porphyra likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:30 pm

Wow, I was declined for a card for the first time in my life!

Annual income of $200k, assets of $500k+, I've never been declined for a credit card. But today I applied for the SPG luxury card and -- nope, got a "you don't qualify for this bonus" decline message!

I haven't applied for an Amex card in the last 2 years and I have kept an Amex everyday for 4 years (to keep a relationship), so I'm scratching my head here. Does Amex now have a 5/24 rule they follow? Or maybe they just hate successful millennials (I never see anyone my age with an AMEX anymore).
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueEyedBuckeye
Wow, I was declined for a card for the first time in my life!

Annual income of $200k, assets of $500k+, I've never been declined for a credit card. But today I applied for the SPG luxury card and -- nope, got a "you don't qualify for this bonus" decline message!
You weren't declined for a card - you were declined for the bonus. This has nothing to do with your credit worthiness.

I haven't applied for an Amex card in the last 2 years and I have kept an Amex everyday for 4 years (to keep a relationship), so I'm scratching my head here. Does Amex now have a 5/24 rule they follow?
If you're in excess of the 5/24 rule, and especially if you know that rule by name, perhaps you're a churner? This might be evident from your overall credit report. None of us know for sure all of the criteria that Amex uses when making these "signup bonus denied" decisions, but it would not surprise me if they are on the lookout for "churn and burn" folks based on their overall use of credit.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
If you're in excess of the 5/24 rule, and especially if you know that rule by name, perhaps you're a churner? This might be evident from your overall credit report. None of us know for sure all of the criteria that Amex uses when making these "signup bonus denied" decisions, but it would not surprise me if they are on the lookout for "churn and burn" folks based on their overall use of credit.
I think you're right. I google'd it and in just the last few weeks ago Amex added vague "5/24-esque" language but no one knows what the rules are! Well, looks like I'm one of its first victims.

Chase (who's stock is up twice Amex's in the last 5 years btw) is also on the lookout for churners and yet has found a way to get a Sapphire Reserve in my hand and convince me to move almost all my spend over to them. Then there's Amex (the company that's managed to under-perform the SP500 average) that's turned the Platinum card into a wannabe-Sapphire and is now denying credit cards to people in the top-5% of income/assets. What a silly management team.

Last edited by BlueEyedBuckeye; Sep 3, 2018 at 10:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.