Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Link: Marriott Rewards Credit Cards
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:16 pm

It's very disappointing that the regular cat earn rate dropped from 3X to 2X in new MAR points. By comparison the Hilton Ascend with the same AF earns 3X on everything, and 6X in the popular grocery store cat.
I'm not even sure what to think about the "Luxury" version with the $450 AF.
There better be more features coming up and a fat signup bonus. Otherwise, it's DoA.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
It's very disappointing that the regular cat earn rate dropped from 3X to 2X in new MAR points. By comparison the Hilton Ascend with the same AF earns 3X on everything, and 6X in the popular grocery store cat.
There better be more features coming up and a fat signup bonus. Otherwise, it's DoA.
Marriott points are more valuable than Hilton points, but I find the Aspire card to be a much better value proposition than the new SPG Luxury card.
jediwho likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Agree, card going to the sock drawer. We'll have to see where the free 35k and 50k nights can be used at...maybe some value can be extracted there.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:28 pm

The $300 hotel credit will be based on membership year, so no double dipping.
During each year of your Card Membership (“reward year”), you are eligible to receive up to $300 total in statement credits on your Card Account for eligible purchases made directly at participating SPG or Marriott Rewards hotels on your Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Card during that reward year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Marriott points are more valuable than Hilton points...
We should get a better idea when new hotel categories are assigned.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I'm wondering if I'm going to be screwed out of the free night award since my card renews in late May. I took a retention offer on the assumption that my earn rate would stay at 3 MR even after any changes. I don't want to upset AMEX by canceling after taking that offer, but I'm not going to just leave the card in a drawer for almost a whole year after paying the fee without any benefit for it.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I'm wondering if I'm going to be screwed out of the free night award since my card renews in late May. I took a retention offer on the assumption that my earn rate would stay at 3 MR even after any changes. I don't want to upset AMEX by canceling after taking that offer, but I'm not going to just leave the card in a drawer for almost a whole year after paying the fee without any benefit for it.
Almost same scenario here, i just tweeted at them.
My AF came due this month, now either to pay up and get nothing for 1 year since there's nothing from retention last week when i called them.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by nall
Marriott points are more valuable than Hilton points, but I find the Aspire card to be a much better value proposition than the new SPG Luxury card.
Agreed. Things change fast. As an IHG guy, the Aspire is very tempting.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The credit card offers seem to be dead for those of us who collect SPG for airline miles even with the 1:125 airline miles bonus,

SPG AMEX Luxury seems pretty weak. $450 AF with a $300 Starriott credit = $150 AF which earns 6X at Starriott properties same as the $95 AF card.

Using the card outside Starriott properties is a non-starter. CSR and Citi $450 offering earn more airline miles.

Even for Starriott hotel stays stays and the 1.25 airline transfer bonus, the card only earns 6 points per dollar which, with the 1.25 bonus, equates to 2.5 airline miles. CSR/Citi would be 3 miles.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Surprised at the big gulf breeen the new Ames Marriott and Hilton aspire in terms of benefits. They are counting on the status nights being the main attractor, but you get far more hard $ benefits from aspire. Not sure Marriott reward points will be worth as much vs Hilton after upcoming devaluation.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I think I read that Marriott said there were enhancements to the earnings with their CCs, but I don't see it that way. Am I missing something here? It's a 33% devaluation. I mind as well stick with Chase cuz from my perspective this card is dead on arrival for me. Like what someone said earlier, there better be a fat welcome bonus or else I won't even consider the new cards.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
A big disappointing devaluation of my SPG Amex. Probably will move on - just not sure where to focus my spending. Somewhere that will give me value for money spent.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
The new SPG premium card isn't anything to write home about. However, after a 300 credit (assuming it's good for room rates), you're left with 150. If you can maximize that free night to get outsized value, then I'll get this card. The key is to see how the 300 can be applied, and what hotels are 50K or less in the new program.
ST_Hawaii likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver
I agree this isnt any sort of blockbuster card and I will be using other cards for actual hotel purchases (after the $300 credit for this one). However -- ASSUMING (and right now I think it's only an assumption?)...the 300 credit can be used for room rates -- that leaves with a 150 annual fee. Given my travel schedule - it would probably be worth it for me to pay $150 for the watered-down gold status -- I stay at Starwood/Marriott enough but Im not someone who will consistently stay 25+ nights a year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.