Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ayee007
does the $100 global entry and $300 marriott credit take away from the spending i've done towards the $5000 minimum?
Both of those purchases count toward the MSR. The fact that they are reimbursed does not change or reduce that.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:14 am

Just a DP on the Business Bonvoy card (previously SPG Biz card) - hit the $3k limit (got the card before it went to $5k MSR) and I have not reached a monthly statement but I got the 75k Bonvoy points in my Marriott account - not bad
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by WantsAmex
No. There was no pop up. I applied, but it says card cant be approved. I called Amex and they stated they didnt process (not that they denied me) the application because they see I already have a card in the same family. I explained they are two different cards, but they didnt seem to care.

They mention after 30 days I should be able to apply for the Brilliant.
This restriction has not been mentioned by anyone publicly, there's also limit on how soon you can get another card of the same family. I was also denied the luxury card, immediately afterward I applied for Hilton Ascend and got approved. Still 2 within 90 days but different families of cards.

I believe there's also a limit on the same type of cards within certain days, I might want to try this on April 24th (91st day after original SPG).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:40 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by WantsAmex
Amex won't even let me apply for the Bonvoy Brilliant card because I just recently got the Amex SPG. They won't even process the application, so there's no approval/denial.

Might have to wait a month or more
AmEx has some filter or restrictions on applying the cards from the same family. So they can be certain that they are not duplicate applications.

Other banks have the same process. They just consider those applications invalid, or duplicates.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:00 pm

me2

Originally Posted by lax01
Just a DP on the Business Bonvoy card (previously SPG Biz card) - hit the $3k limit (got the card before it went to $5k MSR) and I have not reached a monthly statement but I got the 75k Bonvoy points in my Marriott account - not bad
I got the same card with the same deal and was given no points. They claim I signed up for the 5k spend for 100k points which makes no sense SPG cards were advertised as 25k points, in order to get 100k Marriott the offer would have been 33.333 starwoods points which was never an offer when I was approved on 8/25/18
Now the #$%^&* want a copy of the offer to not consider this matter closed (because they said so) now I remember why when they went to one bonus per lifetime language I cancelled all my MR cards...and I really haven't missed them a bit.

Once again I send out a plea to anyone with a screenshot or hard copy of the 75k offer on SPG business card to give me a shout.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u
I got the same card with the same deal and was given no points. They claim I signed up for the 5k spend for 100k points which makes no sense SPG cards were advertised as 25k points, in order to get 100k Marriott the offer would have been 33.333 starwoods points which was never an offer when I was approved on 8/25/18
Now the #$%^&* want a copy of the offer to not consider this matter closed (because they said so) now I remember why when they went to one bonus per lifetime language I cancelled all my MR cards...and I really haven't missed them a bit.

Once again I send out a plea to anyone with a screenshot or hard copy of the 75k offer on SPG business card to give me a shout.
According to this post from TPG dated August 1, 2018, this is probably what Amex is referring to. The SPG/Marriott changeover took place on August 18, and after that day the new SPG Amex offers kicked in. While the bonus for the personal SPG at the time was indeed 75K points for $3K spend, the terms for the Amex SPG Business were 100K points for $5K spend.

The closest thing to an official Amex screenshot I've seen is this post. Perhaps you could try convincing Amex that this is the route you took when you applied.

Last edited by halamadrid; Mar 12, 2019 at 6:25 pm Reason: New info
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u

If you have or can find an old non functioning link, you might be able to type it into archive.org (wayback machine) and get an old screenshot.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:45 am

Hello , I am using chase mariott premier now (I applied 3 year ago and I didnt upgrade to premier plus). Now I would like to apply Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Amex. I wonder that if I am eligible for welcome offer or not ?( in terms it says have acquired Chase marriott premier in the last 90 days but i didnt understand what does it mean clearly) and my second question if I approved for Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Amex, later on could I dowgrade card to Marriott bonvoy amex(which is known as The Starwood Preferred Guest )
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sarah89
....in terms it says have acquired Chase marriott premier in the last 90 days but i didnt understand what does it mean clearly....
What do you not understand? If you opened the Chase card more than 90 days ago the exclusion does not apply to you.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by mia
What do you not understand? If you opened the Chase card more than 90 days ago the exclusion does not apply to you.
It means I can take welcome bonus. my second question after I took welcome bonus could I dowgrade card to Marriott bonvoy amex(which is known as The Starwood Preferred Guest )
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....after I took welcome bonus could I dowgrade card to Marriott bonvoy amex(which is known as The Starwood Preferred Guest )
You cannot downgrade any American Express card during the first 12 months after issue. No one knows if downgrades will be offered to the discontinued card, but I doubt that the contract with Marriott will permit this.
RedSun likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:53 pm

Hello , I am using chase mariott premier now (I applied 3 year ago and I didn't upgrade to premier plus). Now I would like to apply Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Amex. I wonder that if I am eligible for welcome offer or not ?( in terms it says have acquired Chase marriott premier in the last 90 days but i didn't understand what does it mean clearly) and my second question if I approved for Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Amex, later on could I downgrade card to Marriott bonvoy amex(which is known as The Starwood Preferred Guest )
Given the recent devaluation at certain properties and the upcoming peak/off-peak pricing, I think that you are better off keeping the Brilliant card for the extra $55 in AF (effective AF is $150 if you are able to use the $300 credit at Marriott) and getting the 50K point annual certificate. If what you are trying to do is stack annual certificates with your Chase card and paying a lower AF, you are better off applying for the Business version of the card (there are a lot of discussions in various forums on applying for a business card as an individual - basically it's not hard and anyone can do it but read on it). It's a much better value IMO as right now (terms change on 3/28) it gives you the same bonus for the same spend, AF is waived for the first year, and the fee for the subsequent year is $95. You also get the same 35K point annual certificate after the first year. The business version of the card also has more bonus spend categories.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid
Given the recent devaluation at certain properties and the upcoming peak/off-peak pricing, I think that you are better off keeping the Brilliant card for the extra $55 in AF (effective AF is $150 if you are able to use the $300 credit at Marriott) and getting the 50K point annual certificate. If what you are trying to do is stack annual certificates with your Chase card and paying a lower AF, you are better off applying for the Business version of the card (there are a lot of discussions in various forums on applying for a business card as an individual - basically it's not hard and anyone can do it but read on it). It's a much better value IMO as right now (terms change on 3/28) it gives you the same bonus for the same spend, AF is waived for the first year, and the fee for the subsequent year is $95. You also get the same 35K point annual certificate after the first year. The business version of the card also has more bonus spend categories.
thanks a lot for your advice. Could you give me link about applying business card as and individual? What if i apply brilliant and business version together, could i take both welcome bonusses ?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Now that you mention it, the expanded T&C for the upgrade offer does indicate that the $300 is valid as of the date the card's opened (which presumably is the date the original SPG card was opened, unless I'm wrong on that):

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. I changed over to this card for the bonus but my new year begins in April. The way this is written is confusing, almost as if I should get $300 this year and then $300 more in April. Anyone with any experience with this?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
AmEx has some filter or restrictions on applying the cards from the same family. So they can be certain that they are not duplicate applications.

Other banks have the same process. They just consider those applications invalid, or duplicates.
'They kept denying to process the app. I just gave up.

Amex wins this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.