Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by elg26
Hard to tell..... my statement coincidentally closed immediately after I hit the 5k spend....only 2 weeks in..... so it posted immediately on my Amex account...and then 1 day later in my Marriott account....

So agree need additional data points...
This article might be useful.

https://thepointsguy.com/2015/06/how...awards-points/

My experience/DPs - bonus with MR points, at least 1 full statement period once you hit the spend threshold. For my hotel card (Hilton), they were posted as soon as the last charge hitting threshold became final.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:19 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Not sure if this has been discussed here. With the fee increase to $125 on the AmEx Bonv*y Business card, I do not see any additional benefits vs Chase Marriott card and the original AmEx personal card (closed now). The free night with $60k spending does not offer anything to me at all.

Worth keeping or time to chop?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Not sure if this has been discussed here. With the fee increase to $125 on the AmEx Bonv*y Business card, I do not see any additional benefits vs Chase Marriott card and the original AmEx personal card (closed now). The free night with $60k spending does not offer anything to me at all.

Worth keeping or time to chop?
Im struggling with the same choice now. Leaning towards chop. At $95 it’s a no brained. At $125 it just feels kindof sad that amex is trying to nickel and dime us. The $125 is worth more than the free night I think.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
As I read it, the fee increase is next year.

.... do not see any additional benefits vs Chase Marriott card ....
This business card earns bonus points at domestic restaurants, gas stations, wireless telephone service and shipping services.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
As I read it, the fee increase is next year.

This business card earns bonus points at domestic restaurants, gas stations, wireless telephone service and shipping services.
Yes these are additional 4x earnings. But I already have Chase Marriott Biz card. So this does not add anything at all. I believe even the Chase Biz card AF stays the same at $95.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
There's a minor reprieve on the Bonvoy Amex Card (legacy SPG). Seems this promotion will allow $100k of purchases be earning at the non-devalued rates. So for anyone with this card, it'd be worth putting $100k of spend before putting it into the sock drawer.

Register your Card by April 7, 2019 and earn up to 100K bonus points

You can earn 25,000 bonus points after you spend $25,000 in qualifying purchases on your registered Marriott BonvoyTMAmerican Express® Card between the time you complete registration and December 31, 2019. This offer is available up to four times with a maximum amount of 100,000 bonus points after spending $100,000. Registration period ends on April 7, 2019. Terms and Conditions apply.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Yes these are additional 4x earnings. But I already have Chase Marriott Biz card. So this does not add anything at all. I believe even the Chase Biz card AF stays the same at $95.
Doesn't each card give you a free (35k) night per year? It will almost justify keeping multiple Bonvoy cards open if it's a $200-300 per night room. You are also getting a trade line as well.
roundtree likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
There's a minor reprieve on the Bonvoy Amex Card (legacy SPG). Seems this promotion will allow $100k of purchases be earning at the non-devalued rates. So for anyone with this card, it'd be worth putting $100k of spend before putting it into the sock drawer.

Register your Card by April 7, 2019 and earn up to 100K bonus points

You can earn 25,000 bonus points after you spend $25,000 in qualifying purchases on your registered Marriott BonvoyTMAmerican Express® Card between the time you complete registration and December 31, 2019. This offer is available up to four times with a maximum amount of 100,000 bonus points after spending $100,000. Registration period ends on April 7, 2019. Terms and Conditions apply.
If you hold the Business Card now they will upgrade you, to the Luxury Card no 100k, no Club room,but Gold..with a 300 rebate..

Total cost 150, my business card is gone, the extra perks are with 25 bucks, but next year, the card my get cut up..

Not happy,,
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by chunky649
I guess I need to ask my question again...

If I do nothing, my SPG Luxe card AMEX will convert into the new Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant AMEX card. My concern is - Would that exclude me from applying for this card in the not-too-far-distant-future and getting the sign-up bonus? As far as I can tell, all the co-brand AMEX cards have a "you don't get the sign-up bonus if you had this card before" verbiage.
If it matters, I had the Chase Marriott card 3+ years ago, but won't be able to get another Chase card for another year or so...

So should I cancel my SPG before the February conversion? But risk the relationship with AMEX? On a tangential note, I think I'm already on AMEX's list - the last time I tried to apply for the Hilton Aspire (about 2-3 months ago), I got the dreaded pop-up. However, around the same time, I also got a mailer for the SPG Luxe for 100K points $5000 spend, with verbiage that seem to accommodate my situation, and the application link did not give me the dreaded pop-up... so I applied... today, I have the 100K points.
I received the same offer was approved, and told no 100k, I have 3 SPG Cards,
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Doesn't each card give you a free (35k) night per year? It will almost justify keeping multiple Bonvoy cards open if it's a $200-300 per night room. You are also getting a trade line as well.
This is true. But I already have quite a few Marriott cards, almost all flavors, both Chase and AmEx. After I burn off the Marriott points, I may move on to Hilton. Already heavy with Hyatt now.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:12 pm

I just got an email offer:
Earn 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after you upgrade from your current Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card and spend $5,000 in eligible purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.

$450 AF, $300 Marriott credit and 1 free night up to 50K
Also some other benefits I already get from my Platinum card.
Probably worth it. Or are there better offers out there for existing card holders?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
There's a minor reprieve on the Bonvoy Amex Card (legacy SPG). Seems this promotion will allow $100k of purchases be earning at the non-devalued rates. ... You can earn 25,000 bonus points after you spend $25,000 in qualifying purchases
Well, that at least temporarily restores the reduced earning rate on the card, but you still have to deal with the fact that the program itself has been devalued. No thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:30 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by eeeee
I just got an email offer:
Earn 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after you upgrade from your current Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card and spend $5,000 in eligible purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.

$450 AF, $300 Marriott credit and 1 free night up to 50K
Also some other benefits I already get from my Platinum card.
Probably worth it. Or are there better offers out there for existing card holders?
There were reports of targeted 125k offers back when it was still the SPG Lux card. I think the reports were for signup offers but conceivably an upgrade version existed too? (I got 100k also so wouldn't know from direct experience)
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve M
Well, that at least temporarily restores the reduced earning rate on the card, but you still have to deal with the fact that the program itself has been devalued. No thanks.
Even the old AmEx SPG card was so over-hyped before. The only thing good with the old 1x SPG reward was the airline transfer bonus. There are better CCs in AmEx MR, Chase UR and Citi TY systems can easily beat that card.

So many people used that card for daily spending. Now with that earning restored, not many want to use that card any more. De-valuation, yes, but seems not very significant IMO.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Does anyone think the 125 is coming back for the Luxury Card or is 100 the best we're going to see for a while?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.