Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:43 pm

Is this just not accurate? Because reading this, I should be able to get both bonuses

https://dealswelike.boardingarea.com...-new-products/

Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (previously the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card) — Welcome offers for the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (previously theStarwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card) will not be available to applicants who:
  • Currently have or have had any of the following Cards in the last 30 days
    • Ritz-Carlton™ Credit Card from JPMorgan (previously The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® Credit Card from JP Morgan)
  • OR have acquired any of the following Cards from Chase in the last 90 days
    • Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Card from Chase (previously The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase)
    • Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Card from Chase (previously The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase)
    • Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Plus Business Card from Chase (previously The Marriott Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card)
  • OR have received a welcome or upgrade offer for any of the following Cards from Chase in the last 24 months
    • Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Card from Chase (previously The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase)
    • Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Card from Chase (previously The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase)
    • Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Plus Business Card from Chase (previously The Marriott Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card from Chase)
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
New AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Card

Hi Everyone - didn't see an existing thread for this, and I know this card only became available yesterday. Just wanted to get some feedback if anyone has applied already:

1. It's listed as a business card - can anyone still apply and just put down a business name? Or just go with the Brilliance card (although annual fee is much higher)..

2. Hard to get approved, or too early to tell?

3. I thought with AMEX cards you can't carry a balance, but noticed they list an interest rate on the application website (for the business card).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by tstauck; Feb 14, 2019 at 11:53 am Reason: Added Brilliance Card
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The Bonvoy Business card is not a new product, it's a new name for the Starwood Preferred Guest business card. Read carefully the terms of the new account bonus which may disqualify you if you have, or recently had, specified other cards issued by American Express or Chase:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product or The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
Welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Business from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, or the Marriott Bonvoy BusinessTM from Chase, or the Marriott Rewards Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a new cardmember bonus in the last 24 months on the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Plus from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase.
American Express issues both charge cards (pay in full each cycle) and credit cards (revolving line of credit). All of the co-branded cards issued in USA for Delta, Hilton and Marriott are credit cards.

American Express is not particularly interested in the details of your "business", but you should not make up a business name if it isn't registered in your home state. Just apply using your own legal name.
tstauck likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by lax01
Wow, the new card is UGLY
Well yeah, if you've seen any of Tony Sjoman's "art"...
lax01 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
These Bonvoy cards replace not the SPG Amex but SPG Luxury Amex?

Because the annual fee is a lot more than the SPG Amex was and it appears the Bonvoy cards are not good at all for transferring to airlines FF programs since they transfer at a 3:1 ratio. So those 100k points translate to like 30k miles?

But you can book flights through their own portals, though who knows what availability is like and whether you get good redemptions, because this seems to be a new feature?

The SPG Amex, you didn't have to redeem points for Marriott hotel stays to get good value of out those points. But this Bonvoy product, it seems you pretty much HAVE to redeem for hotel stays to get good value?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
These Bonvoy cards replace not the SPG Amex but SPG Luxury Amex?

Because the annual fee is a lot more than the SPG Amex was and it appears the Bonvoy cards are not good at all for transferring to airlines FF programs since they transfer at a 3:1 ratio. So those 100k points translate to like 30k miles?

But you can book flights through their own portals, though who knows what availability is like and whether you get good redemptions, because this seems to be a new feature?

The SPG Amex, you didn't have to redeem points for Marriott hotel stays to get good value of out those points. But this Bonvoy product, it seems you pretty much HAVE to redeem for hotel stays to get good value?
It's still good for transferring to airline programs if you got in before they combined the programs as SPG points were multiplied by 3 at that point. Earn-wise, I personally wouldn't use it other than for Marriott properties. Time will tell if the $300 hotel credit and the free night cert end up giving me more value than what I'll need to pay for AF.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:48 pm
mia

These Bonvoy cards replace not the SPG Amex but SPG Luxury Amex?....
American Express does not issue the base (~$95) personal Bonvoy card, Chase does.

Bonvoy cards earn 2 points per dollar on general spending. The transfer rate from Bonvoy to most airline programs is 3:1, with a 25% bonus at 20,000 miles. Therefore:

$30,000 Spend = 60,000 Bonvoy = 25,000 miles

The 100,000 bonus plus 10,000 base points would be 90% of the amount needed to redeem for 50,000 miles.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hmm, didn't see a Chase Bonvoy thread.

I guess the old SPG Amex did max out at like 30k points for welcome offers.

$30,000 Spend = 60,000 Bonvoy = 25,000 miles
If one wanted airline miles, why wouldn't they just do this kind of spending on an airline miles card instead of SPG? With the same $30k in spending, you''d get 60k miles on some airline cards?

Like I said, looks like with the demise of SPG, these cards are no longer good for airline miles earning.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:01 am
mia

Hmm, didn't see a Chase Bonvoy thread.
Read here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ts-2016-a.html

..... with the demise of SPG, these cards are no longer good for airline miles earning.
The transfer ratios changed in August, 2018. Marriott has a vast array of airline transfer partners. $30,000 > 25,000 miles may be of interest if you have already exhausted the other card options for a particular program, and the Marriott cards also include various hotel vouchers and perqs which may add value if you actually stay in hotels.

Last edited by mia; Feb 16, 2019 at 3:30 am
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:50 am

Has anyone received a 50k certificate yet after upgrading to SPG Luxury (not applying as a new cardholder) and then paying the annual fee some months later? Since Amex likes to preserve the annual fee date when upgrading Hilton cards, I thought it might have happened for this card too. I don't remember anyone reporting it though. Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:13 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by rrgg
Has anyone received a 50k certificate yet after upgrading to SPG Luxury (not applying as a new cardholder) and then paying the annual fee some months later? Since Amex likes to preserve the annual fee date when upgrading Hilton cards, I thought it might have happened for this card too. I don't remember anyone reporting it though. Thanks.
Found this in the Lux/Brilliant-specific thread:

Originally Posted by llkkid
DP: I received the 50K certificate yesterday (Dec. 2). My anniversary date is Sep. 2. I upgraded to Luxury on Aug. 24.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
So I have the personal AmEx Bonvoy card, instead of upgrading, seeing the eligibility rules carefully, it looks like I may still get bonus for Bonvoy Brilliant (luxury) card, and keep both cards, the current bonus offer is tempting.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:57 am

There is an (apparently public) offer for the AmEx Bonvoy business card, 100K Bonvoy points for $5K minimum spend. I searched the T&C and find the following warning:

Originally Posted by AmEx
Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product or The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
Welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Business from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ from Chase, or the Marriott Rewards Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a new cardmember bonus in the last 24 months on the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Plus from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase.
Previously I applied for (unsuccessfully) the SPG business card, but I did have a regular SPG card for a time, and I'm still an AU on Mrs. Zippy's card. I'm trying to gauge whether it is worth to apply for this. I've had no problem getting business cards from Chase, but AmEx seems to be somewhat more strict, so I'm wondering if any of you have successfully gotten the signup bonus off the AmEx Bonvoy Business card after also getting it from the regular SPG card. As well, it has been a while since I applied for that AmEx business card, and I can't recall specifically, can one use an EIN when applying in lieu of an SSN? Does it cast a more favorable light on the application?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:03 am
mia

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Previously I applied for (unsuccessfully) the SPG business card.... can one use an EIN when applying in lieu of an SSN? Does it cast a more favorable light on the application?
The reason the previous application was declined is vital to understanding whether you might be approved this time. Holding the SPG personal card would not disqualify a Business card application.

You can use an EIN in addition to your Social Security Number, but the decision is primarily based on your personal credit. This is true at all issuers. Small business cards are really personal cards for business purposes, they are not credit extended to the business entity.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The reason the previous application was declined is vital to understanding whether you might be approved this time. Holding the SPG personal card would not disqualify a Business card application.

You can use an EIN in addition to your Social Security Number, but the decision is primarily based on your personal credit. This is true at all issuers. Small business cards are really personal cards for business purposes, they are not credit extended to the business entity.
Very helpful.

I don't recall that they gave me a reason. I applied for both the personal and business SPG cards within a pretty narrow timeframe, if I recall correctly, and they issued the personal card but not the business one. I believe I had gotten another card from them around that time as well, so maybe it was purely a function of the number of applications/pulls.

Too, at that time AmEx was riding a little higher, so maybe it is worth a try to see what happens this time. It has been a long time since I had a Marriott Rewards Visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.