Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by SR99
Does online Marriott gift card purchase trigger $300 credit for SPG luxury card? thanks
That's a good question. I'm curious to know the answer as well.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:10 pm

I did some test. Bought $25 Marriott gift card from Marriott website. And it's reimbursed by American express.
So the online Marriott gift card purchase does trigger $300 credit for SPG luxury card.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Want to share my datapoint...

Got a SPG AMEX mailer last week. It was for the LUX card, with a sign up bonus of 125,000 points after $5000 spending. Deadline for application is ~Dec 4 I believe.

The link:

http://spg.com/luxuryamex

It redirects to:

https://credit-cards.marriott.com/yo...AMEX_PROMOTION

I am sharing it because it doesn't seem to contain personal info. In my mailer, I was given a "new member number". It turns out this is a number that was given to me as a replacement to my old SPG account number. I found out what this number is after going into my SPG account with my old SPG info. I haven't merged my Marriott and SPG account yet... After entering my "new member number", I was able to confirm the offer (same as the mailer - 125K points....) I read the terms clearly to make sure I qualify - I didn't have the Ritz or any of the Chase Marriott cards in the last couple years. I thought it was interesting that it didn't mention any SPG AMEX cards, as I canceled mine a little more than a year ago... Another point I was happy about was that during the application process, it didn't give me the dreaded pop-up message stating I would not get the points since I'm not a good customer... (I got that pop up a few months ago when I tried to apply for the Hilton Aspire) My application went through and instantly approved.

The most interesting point is that I just went to the link and entered my Marriott account number and it gave me a 75K point offer, which is a little better than the offer in the Wiki. Hope this is useful for someone looking at applying for this card.

Question: How do I "confirm" my promotion after I get my card? I'd hate to put $5000 spending on the card and not get the bonus.
robchow likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by photaco
I stayed a couple nights at a Four Points by Sheraton hotel, charging my Amex SPG credit card 6 months ago. American Express only gave me 1x SPG points on the transaction rather than 2x SPG points. I opened an investigation via Chat, and months later they tell me:

The transaction on my billing statement literally starts with "FOUR POINTS BY SHERATON", has an Arrival Date and Departure Date, and says "LODGING".

Anyone else missing credit card points for SPG hotel stays? Anyone succeed in getting Amex to award the missing points?
Update on this...

I see a new transaction in my Marriott account titled "Spg Ax Goodwill Bonus". This points value is 1/3rd of what I was expecting from American Express, since each SPG point was replaced by 3x Marriott points. I've already fought with Amex multiple times, waiting months and months each time. Should I just give up on my missing points, or is there an expedited way to reach someone higher up the command chain? I'm cancelling my SPG card at next renewal no matter what now since I have no idea if I'm going to earn 6x Marriott points or 2x Marriott points if I use my SPG card at a Starwood property.

Last edited by photaco; Dec 6, 2018 at 1:02 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:33 am

how long is it taking everyone for the anniversary night credit to post? I got the email on 11/2 but still no award
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SR99
I did some test. Bought $25 Marriott gift card from Marriott website. And it's reimbursed by American express.
So the online Marriott gift card purchase does trigger $300 credit for SPG luxury card.
I recently cancellled a stay for tonight that would have triggered the credit. I needed to act quickly to retrieve credit before anniversary date, so I purchased a $300 gift card online at Marriott’s website. Purchased 12/22, posted 12/24, credit posted 12/26. I was monitoring just in case the amount of the gift card would somehow not trigger credit (I.e. Delta GC must be no more than $50 for airline incidental reimbursement) on other Amex cards. So, I wanted to share it DOES work.
mia likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Keep in mind that (because of the merger) this card will give an annual (capped) free night certificate, just for holding it (and paying the AF). If you can use the cert for a hotel that cost more (including taxes) than the AF, you'll come out ahead. Ie, it's turning into what I call a "net negative" annual fee card (if you can make use of the cert most years).

So perhaps you have a second reason for keeping now?
When is the free night certificate earned by the SPG Amex to be issued? Actual anniversary date? Shortly after Jan. 1 like the Chase Marriot cards?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tizzette
When is the free night certificate earned by the SPG Amex to be issued? ....
Free Night Award (up to 35k points)
Each year, after renewal of your Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card, you will receive one Free Night Award from Starwood Preferred Guest®. The Free Night Award can be redeemed for a one-night stay inclusive of room rate and applicable taxes at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels with a redemption level at or under 35,000 points.

The Card Member may be responsible for payment of additional mandatory resort fees at properties where resort fees are applicable, and is responsible for all incidental charges. This benefit is only available to the Basic Card Member on the Card Account.

The Free Night Award will be automatically deposited into your loyalty member account within 8-12 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date in the form of an e-certificate. You will receive an email from SPG to the email address listed on your loyalty member account confirming that the Free Night Award e-certificate has been deposited into your loyalty member account. The email will also provide instructions on how to redeem your Free Night Award e-certificate. To redeem the Free Night Award e-certificate, you must log into your loyalty member account and apply the e-certificate during booking. The Free Night Award e-certificate will expire after 1 year from issuance. E-certificates may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, or re-credited for points. To qualify for the Free Night Award, your account must be open and not in default at the time of the Free Night Award e-certificate issuance. Please visit spg.com/cert for a list of participating properties.

American Express is not responsible for fulfillment of Free Night Award e-certificate redemptions. Redemptions are subject to the terms and conditions of the loyalty program.
roundtree likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:46 am

Thank you, Mia.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:02 pm

I could not find anything from google so I will ask here: If I have a free night certificate from an Amex SPG Personal card a free night from an Amex SPG Business card, can I use them for a 2 night reservation and do I have to do anything special? Or just apply the 2 nights at the checkout page? Or do I have to book separately 1 night and then call/message Marriott to combine. I don't have the certificates yet so I cannot test it.

As an added wrinkle, how would this work if my significant other also holds a card that generates a free night certificate? Does she have to book? Can I add it to my reservation (since I am Platinum). Thanks
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
I could not find anything from google so I will ask here: If I have a free night certificate from an Amex SPG Personal card a free night from an Amex SPG Business card, can I use them for a 2 night reservation and do I have to do anything special? Or just apply the 2 nights at the checkout page? Or do I have to book separately 1 night and then call/message Marriott to combine. I don't have the certificates yet so I cannot test it.

As an added wrinkle, how would this work if my significant other also holds a card that generates a free night certificate? Does she have to book? Can I add it to my reservation (since I am Platinum). Thanks
I would make each reservation for one night, using your certs, then have the hotel combine the reservations when you arrive. (I don't think you can apply multiple certs to a single reservation online.)

As a Plat, you'd naturally be in the mix for an upgrade - it's easier to get an upgrade for a one night reservation (which you then combine with your other nights upon arrival) than it is to score an upgraded room for multiple consecutive nights (in my experience.)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I would make each reservation for one night, using your certs, then have the hotel combine the reservations when you arrive. (I don't think you can apply multiple certs to a single reservation online.)

As a Plat, you'd naturally be in the mix for an upgrade - it's easier to get an upgrade for a one night reservation (which you then combine with your other nights upon arrival) than it is to score an upgraded room for multiple consecutive nights (in my experience.)
thank for the reply. For some reason I can make a 3 and 2 day reservation including the Thursday night at this place, but not the Thursday night individually. Might just be some glitch.

I recall all being able to use my 2 Ritz 60k night certificates on the same reservation (I did do it by calling initially) so maybe in the new Marriott you can do this now.

Can you explain the upgrade thing though? If they give you an upgrade and it’s not available for the whole stay, you wouldn’t get the upgrade then? Or are you saying they’re just more likely to give an upgrade seeing you’re only there one night initially?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07

Can you explain the upgrade thing though? If they give you an upgrade and it’s not available for the whole stay, you wouldn’t get the upgrade then? Or are you saying they’re just more likely to give an upgrade seeing you’re only there one night initially?
Yes, that. You have an upgrade the first night - then when you get there - you ask them to consolidate the reservations so you don't have to change rooms.

Or....your first night reservation there are no upgrades available. But nights two and three there's upgrade availability. If you had a three night reservation, and the first night was unavailable for upgrade, you wouldn't get upgraded for the duration. With three separate reservations, you have three shots at an upgrade instead of one - then you adjust the reservations accordingly at the front desk upon arrival.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Yes, that. You have an upgrade the first night - then when you get there - you ask them to consolidate the reservations so you don't have to change rooms.

Or....your first night reservation there are no upgrades available. But nights two and three there's upgrade availability. If you had a three night reservation, and the first night was unavailable for upgrade, you wouldn't get upgraded for the duration. With three separate reservations, you have three shots at an upgrade instead of one - then you adjust the reservations accordingly at the front desk upon arrival.
in the second scenario, you’d be switching rooms right? But cool tip thank you!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Have people received the 15 nights yet that you get with the card? My nights are still showing 0 for the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.