Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbw5t
YES, my Marriott account does start with 0! Heard anything about a workaround or how they are solving it? I've SM'd and chatted on the phone with AMEX multiple times, but still haven't gotten the problem solved.
No, sorry, I just know about the problem because several threads on the Marriott forum have been discussing this heavily. If you are having multiple issues with it (not just booking SPG hotels), and can't find a thread specific to it in the Marriott forum, perhaps start a new thread specific to it there titled something like "ongoing issues with Marriott account numbers starting with zero (0)"?

EDITED TO ADD:

I just saw two people with account numbers starting in 0 report their problems with booking SPG hotels being fixed here (start at this post then read down):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...l#post30302610 (starting at post 976)

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 11, 2018 at 6:44 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sinfonia
Sadly, I had a similar situation where I was promised 10K SPG points but I received 10K Marriott points. I spoke to an AmEx CSR, an AmEx supervisor, and an AmEx manager. I was basically told there was nothing they could do. This surprised me as AmEx is usually so customer-friendly. I ended up giving up because I was wasting too much time on it. If you get anywhere, please do post how and I will try to follow the same route. Good luck.
AMEX customer service had been going down him for years. A couple of years ago I charged Westin stay on the card which, for some reason, didn't trigger the bonus for spending at SPG. It was just 400 extra SPG points. Many many years ago, a chat would have sufficed. This time, it took several chats over a 3 week period just to get the 400 points to post. SPG AMEX used to be my go-to card. The merger was the last straw; it's in my drawer. Only reason it's still open is because the account is 24 years old (it started out as an Optima card)
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
AMEX customer service had been going down him for years. A couple of years ago I charged Westin stay on the card which, for some reason, didn't trigger the bonus for spending at SPG. It was just 400 extra SPG points. Many many years ago, a chat would have sufficed. This time, it took several chats over a 3 week period just to get the 400 points to post. SPG AMEX used to be my go-to card. The merger was the last straw; it's in my drawer. Only reason it's still open is because the account is 24 years old (it started out as an Optima card)
Keep in mind that (because of the merger) this card will give an annual (capped) free night certificate, just for holding it (and paying the AF). If you can use the cert for a hotel that cost more (including taxes) than the AF, you'll come out ahead. Ie, it's turning into what I call a "net negative" annual fee card (if you can make use of the cert most years).

So perhaps you have a second reason for keeping now?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Has anyone had any issue with Posting points on the SPG Luxury Card?

I gave my Marriott Rewards Number and not old SPG Number and have not had any points post for two billing cycles.

Should I be giving my previous SPG number or current MR number in order to post points?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any clarity on whether its by 30k / 50k points or by category for free night after jan 1 2019 ?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Did any FTers attend the #SPGAmex launch party for the Luxury Card in NYC last night? Really fun party involving Swizz Beatz, good crowd and food/drinks.

I won 2 $500 Marriott gift cards, so that served as a decent retention bonus for this year
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:24 pm

Is there the ability to product change the SPG personal or business card?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Reportedly not:

USA card product conversions...

BUT there would not be an announcement if the policy changes. The only way to verify is to ask.
LF72 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LF72
Is there the ability to product change the SPG personal or business card?
Originally Posted by mia
Reportedly not:

USA card product conversions...

BUT there would not be an announcement if the policy changes. The only way to verify is to ask.
Though I assume that this is not the type of product change being asked about here, now that are two types of personal Starwood cards (normal and Luxury), I would assume you would likely be able to product change between those two. Prior to late August there was no other personal card in the Starwood family, now there is, so that's why technically the answer might be different now that on the last datapoint in that thread.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
....now that are two types of personal Starwood cards (normal and Luxury), I would assume you would likely be able to product change between those two......
Agreed.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I had two (prepaid) charges from a Sheraton show up as 'other - miscellaneous'. Does anyone know if I can get this corrected? I'm missing both the bonus points and the statement credit (on the Luxury card).
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by navatwal
Has anyone had any issue with Posting points on the SPG Luxury Card?

I gave my Marriott Rewards Number and not old SPG Number and have not had any points post for two billing cycles.

Should I be giving my previous SPG number or current MR number in order to post points?
I would advise every holder of the SPG Luxury card to be very careful monitoring points awarded for hotel stays at Marriott properties. I raised this issue with my second statement when 3540 points were not awarded for Marriott stays. So far neither Amex or the SPG team have been able to rectify the problem. Basically for 2 out of 4 Marriott properties that I have used the card I did not get 6 X points, only 2 X points for normal spend. Here is my latest conversation with Amex on the subject:
Hi, I have been trying to resolve a problem with points awarded on the SPG Luxury card for stays at Marriott/SPG properties on the last billing cycle. No resolution so far. It is getting frustrating.

Amex rep has joined the conversation
Hello, I can see you are chatting in reference to points.

Amex rep -
To best assist you, could you please elaborate your inquiry a bit?

Amex rep -
Hanhwa Hotel Resort ( Actual name is The Plaza Seoul Autograph Collection hotel in the Marriott brand) - $XXX.XX on 9-XX-18

You -
Thanks.

Amex rep -
Marriott Park Hotel Roma $XXX.XX and $XXX.XX on 10-01 an10-02

You -
Neither received 6 points per dollar

You -
They only received 2 points per dollar.

You -
Yes, you are right.

Amex rep -
Because, those are not eligible charges to get 6 points.

Amex rep -
So I am short 3540 points

You -
Yes, they are. They are Marriott properties.

You -
Oh okay, then let me go ahead and check why they didn't earn extra points.

Amex rep -
Please allow me a minute.

Amex rep -
It's a common issue of coding that I have found at other properties. It used to be that the SPG customer service team would fix it with the older Amex SPG card.

You -
SPG customer service has gone to the dogs after the merger, sadly.

You -
Thank you for waiting. I really appreciate your patience.

Amex rep -
I checked your account thoroughly and see that.. those charges are not eligible for 6x points.

Amex rep -
That's why, you didn't receive it.

Amex rep -
…...but they are Marriott properties so they should be eligible.

You -
Please have the coding fixed.

You -
However, they are not eligible.

Amex rep -
So you will only get 2x points.

Amex rep -
If it becomes a crapshoot of guessing if I will get 2 points or 6 points per dollar at every other Marriott property that I stay at do you think myself of anyone else will ever use this card?

You -
See the problem?

You -
I completely understand your point.

Amex rep-
However, I can assure you that.. our system is designed in such a way wherein, the points are awarded based on the charge recognized by SPG / Marriott.

Amex rep -
And we have already issued the correct points as per the charges.

Amex rep -

So there is no more points need to be issued by American Express.

Amex rep -
I can assure you that there are multiple properties that do not code properly and need to be fixed, especially in regards to a new product like the SPG Luxury card.

You -
Why are you being so stubborn? Raise this entire conversation with a supervisor please

You -
Just to ensure, we are on same page.. Do you want me to connect this chat to a Supervisor?

Amex rep -
Yes please

You -
Please try

You -

Amex rep has left the conversation
Amex supervisor has joined the conversation
Hi, I see you were chatting with Amex rep, let me go through above conversation.

Amex sup. -
Thank you for waiting patiently and i am sorry for the problems you have experienced, I understand this is something annoying to deal with however it depend on merchant category, I mean if property is registered as SPG property, any purchase that you would make would automatically trigger 6X points however if they are registered as non SPG property and its a SPG property, Its SPG who would need to get this fixed by calling to merchant services.

Amex sup. -
Okay, I will can try to tell them that, but SPG has been absorbed by Marriott.

You -
I understand, I would request you to please call to there customer service once and advise that property category needs to be changed, they might ask the property location and name. I know you should not have to deal with this and I will take this as a feedback so that we could make things easy for you.

Amex sup. -
Thank you

You -
$450/year SPG Luxury card is going in the sock drawer until I get my points.

You -
I expect better customer service from high fee cards.
You-

Diplomatico likes this.

Last edited by Typhoonpilot; Oct 27, 2018 at 2:57 am
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
So happy I cancelled my SPG AMEX card two weeks ago.

Last edited by mia; Oct 27, 2018 at 9:19 am
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
What are the T&C around free night certificate on account anniversary? Can it be used to book for others or has to be used by account holder?
IIRC, this certificate will be non-upgradeable to higher categories. Is that true as well?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:54 pm

Does online Marriott gift card purchase trigger $300 credit for SPG luxury card? thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.