Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:02 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I have successfully gotten Amex to give me the missing points when I've been shorted in similar situations before, but it was a bit of a fight, and I think in the end they gave me the points more as a goodwill gesture to a long-time customer than an actual adjustment to my account. I'd definitely recommend calling rather than using online communications, calling is generally more productive with Amex. And it might be a bit of a fight. It also might be hard to get everything credited correctly given the change in how the card earns points since your stay.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:36 am

spg lux amex beagle 2.0

amex/spg sent me a free beagle 2.0 (a key finder) so I downloaded the app and it works fine. I left the app running like they said (doesn't work w/o app running), and it drain my iphone battery.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Question to members who have already gotten their bonus spend points on the luxury card: About how long has it taken for the points to transfer from Amex to your Marriott account?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:48 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bgriff
I got a similar but less lucrative offer for $100 back after $5K spend up to two times. Have hit the spend and no credit, though the T&Cs likewise suggest it may not post until the spend period is over. It may end up requiring chasing the credit, but I'm not too worried about it since I also got a "here's what you've spent so far" email which gives me further comfort that it's a real offer that is in fact logged somewhere in Amex's systems.

For you, it's up to you, but it does sound like cancelling the card would be more pique than anything. I guess you could try for a retention offer with regard to the annual fee, perhaps calling between August 1-11 when the new program rules are (theoretically) fully in place but the paid AF is also theoretically still refundable. Amex seems to have cracked down somewhat on retention offers, but I suspect they may also be desperate to placate angry SPG cardholders. And/or they may just offer you a bonus to upgrade to the luxury card.
So all along I thought with my annual fee posting in August, I was among the first to get the free night, and as above, told others who were not getting the free night until next year to swallow their anger ... and I finally got around to calling Amex today to confirm and found out that while my AF posts in August, my account anniversary date is in July and I'm one of the last to get the free night! Which probably serves me right.

So at least now I know how all those I counseled about the problem felt ...

As far as I can see / remember I don't think anyone was successful in getting any offers from Amex due to being among the last to get the free night, did they?

I'll still suck it up and keep the card because it's among my oldest accounts, but still annoying. I did in fact get the $200 credit for the extra offer from Amex that I mentioned in the quoted post above; perhaps that offer was targeted to me in part as an apology for missing the free night, though if it was, Amex never communicated anything to that effect.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by eajusa
Question to members who have already gotten their bonus spend points on the luxury card: About how long has it taken for the points to transfer from Amex to your Marriott account?
24 Hours
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by eajusa
24 Hours
+1
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:11 pm

Does using a Marriott number not work?

I signed up for the Amex Luxury card last month, using my Marriott number as my linked rewards member info. It apparently isn’t working. The statement said to call the number on the card to have them link to my rewards account. I did that, and the rep said they already had my number (and read the correct number back to me), but that he would re-add it and all would be good. But it’s still not working. I’m afraid all my points will be evaporating into the ether. Have others had this issue? I’m assuming the problem is bc I’m using a Marriott number for an SPG card, but I don’t know for sure.

any insight or advice is appreciated!
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by rbw5t
I signed up for the Amex Luxury card last month, using my Marriott number as my linked rewards member info. It apparently isn’t working. The statement said to call the number on the card to have them link to my rewards account. I did that, and the rep said they already had my number (and read the correct number back to me), but that he would re-add it and all would be good. But it’s still not working. I’m afraid all my points will be evaporating into the ether. Have others had this issue? I’m assuming the problem is bc I’m using a Marriott number for an SPG card, but I don’t know for sure.

I don’t know if this helps but in my instance, when the merger completed, I was assigned a new SPG number and kept my original Marriott number. Then I merged my accounts under my Marriott number. However, on the Amex website they show my new SPG number. Since then I have successfully received the signup bonus for the Luxury Card and have transferred Membership Rewards points to Marriott. This week will be the first statement closure for my Lux Card and I anticipate receiving the spend points for that a few days later.
In conclusion, it seems that Amex deposits points into the SPG account and Marriott automatically puts it in my merged account under the Marriott number.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbw5t

I used a Marriott number to transfer Amex MR to "SPG" (shortly after Aug 18), and it worked (I have not combined my Marriott and SPG accounts, and the transfer showed up in my longtime Marriott account, not my SPG account within a few days, though it was "credited" incorrectly (it didn't says "Amex transfer", it said some other garbage).

So I'm not sure if that's the issue.

Also, check to see that you haven't received the points but the wrong "source" attributed to them.

Does your Marriott account number start with a zero (0) by any chance? On the Marriott forum there are various issues documented that Marriott is having with account numbers that start with a zero (0).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:31 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

So all along I thought with my annual fee posting in August, I was among the first to get the free night, and as above, told others who were not getting the free night until next year to swallow their anger ... and I finally got around to calling Amex today to confirm and found out that while my AF posts in August, my account anniversary date is in July and I'm one of the last to get the free night! Which probably serves me right.

So at least now I know how all those I counseled about the problem felt ...

As far as I can see / remember I don't think anyone was successful in getting any offers from Amex due to being among the last to get the free night, did they?

I'll still suck it up and keep the card because it's among my oldest accounts, but still annoying. I did in fact get the $200 credit for the extra offer from Amex that I mentioned in the quoted post above; perhaps that offer was targeted to me in part as an apology for missing the free night, though if it was, Amex never communicated anything to that effect.
Well, despite Amex specifically telling me that my account anniversary date was in July (despite annual fee posting in August) and that I wouldn't get a free night cert this year, I did in fact get it today. Wonder if that was a tech glitch or a goodwill gesture, or a bit of both.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:39 pm

My SPG Amex annual fee posted in early August. I just got my free night certificate in my account today.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I used a Marriott number to transfer Amex MR to "SPG" (shortly after Aug 18), and it worked (I have not combined my Marriott and SPG accounts, and the transfer showed up in my longtime Marriott account, not my SPG account within a few days, though it was "credited" incorrectly (it didn't says "Amex transfer", it said some other garbage).

So I'm not sure if that's the issue.

Also, check to see that you haven't received the points but the wrong "source" attributed to them.

Does your Marriott account number start with a zero (0) by any chance? On the Marriott forum there are various issues documented that Marriott is having with account numbers that start with a zero (0).
YES, my Marriott account does start with 0! Heard anything about a workaround or how they are solving it? I've SM'd and chatted on the phone with AMEX multiple times, but still haven't gotten the problem solved. Seems really ridiculous that AMEX/Marriott can't find a way to get my points into my account, when they have my number and agree the points have been earned. Thanks for all the insights!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:55 am
Original Poster

I placed ~$5k deposit for a cruise next summer on the card several months ago (pre Aug 1). Thus, I earned 3x new Marriott points when the SPG/Marriott programs merged. We can't make the cruise so I will be canceling the cruise and the deposit will be refunded. Questions: 1. how many new Marriott points will be deducted? 2. will Amex clawback the points from my Marriott account or will my Amex SPG account be reduced (to a negative balance)?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:00 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Troopers
I placed ~$5k deposit for a cruise next summer on the card several months ago (pre Aug 1). Thus, I earned 3x new Marriott points when the SPG/Marriott programs merged. We can't make the cruise so I will be canceling the cruise and the deposit will be refunded. Questions: 1. how many new Marriott points will be deducted? 2. will Amex clawback the points from my Marriott account or will my Amex SPG account be reduced (to a negative balance)?
Most likely I'd guess you'll only have 2 Marriott points per dollar deducted, so you'll make a profit. As for the clawback, not sure how exactly it works but I suspect most likely Amex will "credit" a negative amount to your Marriott account. Not sure how that would work if that caused a negative balance in your Marriott account.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Most likely I'd guess you'll only have 2 Marriott points per dollar deducted, so you'll make a profit. As for the clawback, not sure how exactly it works but I suspect most likely Amex will "credit" a negative amount to your Marriott account. Not sure how that would work if that caused a negative balance in your Marriott account.
Thanks. Any ideas if I were to close the card prior to the deposit refund?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.