Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Has anybody owning the existing SPG card seen the Free Night Cert that is available for card member whose anniversary date is on or after August 1st?
My anniversary date was August 12. I'm still waiting for the Cert. I called to try to have it expedited because I'd like to use it the first weekend in October. I was politely, but firmly, told it would take 8-12 weeks and there's nothing that can be done.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Automatically linked, from my experience. My AMEX SPG card account shows the new SPG number issued. I kept the Marriott number instead of the SPG number when I combined accounts and the new SPG number was automatically updated on my AMEX account.
Thanks for the confirmation on the accounts are automatically linked and we dont need to to anything to update AMEX.

You meant the existing Marriott account number is now associated to your SPG AMEX card, not the "new SPG number", right?

How did your account combination go? When did you do it? Had you experienced any missing point balance from SPG?

Originally Posted by pallhedge
My anniversary date was August 12. I'm still waiting for the Cert. I called to try to have it expedited because I'd like to use it the first weekend in October. I was politely, but firmly, told it would take 8-12 weeks and there's nothing that can be done.
That is what I suspect that AMEX would not deliver the cert ahead of what the T&Cs said but my friend INSISTED she has seen it. Turned out she had totally mistaken by AMEX screen when she saw that Green Start Booking box on the FN, without even read the 3 steps instruction in the bigger box right below that - which indeed said the cert would be deposited to one's SPG account and then show up in the Activity section. Only when that happens, it is available to use.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks for the confirmation on the accounts are automatically linked and we dont need to to anything to update AMEX.

You meant the existing Marriott account number is now associated to your SPG AMEX card, not the "new SPG number", right?

How did your account combination go? When did you do it? Had you experienced any missing point balance from SPG?

No, the "new SPG number" is what I see in my SPG AMEX card - I did not call AMEX to arrange that. Since I have combined my accounts, presumably anything that AMEX credits to that account number will post to my combined account which - overall - is governed by the Marriott number.

I didn't experience any problems with the account combination once I was finally able to perform the action (kept getting error messages the first few times). My SPG points transferred over at the correct 1:3 ratio and my overall status was updated (after a few days' delay) to reflect the correct status and number of nights for the YTD.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
No, the "new SPG number" is what I see in my SPG AMEX card - I did not call AMEX to arrange that. Since I have combined my accounts, presumably anything that AMEX credits to that account number will post to my combined account which - overall - is governed by the Marriott number.

I didn't experience any problems with the account combination once I was finally able to perform the action (kept getting error messages the first few times). My SPG points transferred over at the correct 1:3 ratio and my overall status was updated (after a few days' delay) to reflect the correct status and number of nights for the YTD.
Yes, the Marriott number is the governing number though it is strange why they still keep a SPG number.

I assume you no longer be able to log in the old SPG account once you have combined the accounts? That has been the cases reported by many. Worse, some said they could not book any SPG properties when logged in their Combined Accounts - the system kept giving them errors on SPG account numbers not recognized, something like that. They had to book as a Guest, then called to attach their loyalty account numbers.

I need to book some SPG award nights for Nov stay but the bulk of my points are on the SPG side. SPG side only shows P while Marriott side correctly shows PP. So would prefer to book from Marriott side instead. But I am scared to combine the accounts for fear the SPG point balance would be lost for a while before they fix it. There are still people struggle with this mess as reported from various threads. It seems a total Luck of Draw whether one can have a smooth process or a bungled one. Sigh.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:30 am

I reached the bonus spending amount before my 1st closing date, and my 125k spg lux bonus already shows in pts earned ytd...
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pallhedge
My anniversary was Aug 14, and an Amex rep said the cert would go to SPG in 30 days. A supervisor said it would go in 8 to 12 weeks as she was reading from the benefit terms. Its not clear to me if the issue date will be Aug 14 (my case) or the date the cert is actually deposited which will make it redeemable for less than 12 months. She claimed the next year they would be deposited the month earned with 12 months to redeem, but didn't provide a link to where she came up with this.

"The Free Night Award will be automatically deposited into your loyalty member account within 8-12 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date in the form of an e-certificate. You will receive an email from SPG to the email address listed on your loyalty member account confirming that the Free Night Award e-certificate has been deposited into your loyalty member account. The email will also provide instructions on how to redeem your Free Night Award e-certificate. To redeem the Free Night Award e-certificate, you must log into your loyalty member account and apply the e-certificate during booking. The Free Night Award e-certificate will expire after 1 year from issuance. E-certificates may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, or re-credited for points. To qualify for the Free Night Award, your account must be open and not in default at the time of the Free Night Award e-certificate issuance. Please visit spg.com/cert for a list of participating properties.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
When 10,000 SPG points equal 10,000 Marriott points

Was promised 10K SPG points by AMEX in July for renewing my SPG Business Card, and the points showed up on my August 21 statement. However, due to glitches from the merger mess, AMEX could not get SPG to post any of the points from that statement until September 22. As I feared, the 10K SPG points became 10K Marriott points, which is definitely not the 30K Marriott points II was promised. Getting through to SPG/Marriott is an exercise in futility, as I gave up after one hour on hold. Any suggestions on how I should proceed?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by freebee
Was promised 10K SPG points by AMEX in July for renewing my SPG Business Card, and the points showed up on my August 21 statement. However, due to glitches from the merger mess, AMEX could not get SPG to post any of the points from that statement until September 22. As I feared, the 10K SPG points became 10K Marriott points, which is definitely not the 30K Marriott points II was promised. Getting through to SPG/Marriott is an exercise in futility, as I gave up after one hour on hold. Any suggestions on how I should proceed?
Ping AmEx
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
American Express is the one providing the points here. You need to talk to AmEx, not Marriott
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Sadly, I had a similar situation where I was promised 10K SPG points but I received 10K Marriott points. I spoke to an AmEx CSR, an AmEx supervisor, and an AmEx manager. I was basically told there was nothing they could do. This surprised me as AmEx is usually so customer-friendly. I ended up giving up because I was wasting too much time on it. If you get anywhere, please do post how and I will try to follow the same route. Good luck.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:23 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Nothing they could do?! More like nothing they wanted to do. They can do whatever they want and have the power to give you points manually, without Marriott/SPG's blessing. They effortlessly and willingly offered me an extra 1,000 Starpoints for my troubles last year when my new card was delayed by an extra day.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat
id send a complaint to the cfpb...should get a solution from a more senior person at amex
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by freebee
.... Any suggestions on how I should proceed?
Contact one of the official representatives in the Marriott forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...d-program-766/

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...od-lurker.html
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:49 pm

American Express won't award bonus points to Amex SPG for SPG hotel stay

I stayed a couple nights at a Four Points by Sheraton hotel, charging my Amex SPG credit card 6 months ago. American Express only gave me 1x SPG points on the transaction rather than 2x SPG points. I opened an investigation via Chat, and months later they tell me:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the above mentioned Account.

We have reviewed your Starwood account and found that you have earned your points correctly.
The transaction on my billing statement literally starts with "FOUR POINTS BY SHERATON", has an Arrival Date and Departure Date, and says "LODGING".

Anyone else missing credit card points for SPG hotel stays? Anyone succeed in getting Amex to award the missing points?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I'm fighting over relative pennies in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...otel-stay.html - does it make sense in my case to also contact Marriott this way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.