Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:51 pm

Got an email offer for 125K bonus, applied and was approved. All other details are the same.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I also got an email offer for 120k Luxury SPG card, though not sure if really worth it compared to going for say, Amex Plat or even say, a UA card. 120k points gets you something like two off peak nights at a Category 7 hotel? If we go by the 3:1 conversion ratio, this doesn't seem any better than the old 40k SPG points elevated sign-on from last year.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic
I also got an email offer for 120k Luxury SPG card, though not sure if really worth it compared to going for say, Amex Plat or even say, a UA card. 120k points gets you something like two off peak nights at a Category 7 hotel? If we go by the 3:1 conversion ratio, this doesn't seem any better than the old 40k SPG points elevated sign-on from last year.
For us, it's about building up pts for longer high end trips. Since April, my wife and I each got 100k marriott cards, 80k ink cards, and 50k sapphire cards. We completed and minimum spending and rec'd the bonuses. We were able to put all the Marriott pts in one acct and all the UR pts in one acct. This 125k will be a nice addition.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
Just out of curiosity, is the luxury card made out of plastic or metal?
We should know soon enough... I got an email this morning noting that the card has shipped.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
So now that I've combined my SPG and Marriott accounts, do I need to contact AMEX to change the legacy SPG number on my AMEX SPG card account to the Marriott Rewards member number (which is now my sole account number) or does that somehow magically happen on its own?

In other words, are the future points/free night certs earned from my legacy AMEX SPG card going to automatically route to my new combined account or do I need to notify AMEX that the SPG number they have on file has been superseded by the Marriott Rewards number?

Last edited by Diplomatico; Aug 25, 2018 at 8:56 am
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by eajusa
Offered 15K points to upgrade to lux card and spend $1K in 3 months. Approved immediately.
Did you ask if the spending on the non-lux card will carry over towards the 75K spend on the lux?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yoyo
Did you ask if the spending on the non-lux card will carry over towards the 75K spend on the lux?
I did everything online w/o speaking to a CSR. However, I read on at least one reputable site that it will count. Sorry Im not sure which site that was.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So I changed my mind and applied for the Lux card today. Instant approval for a $10k CL and 20k Marriott points headed toward another FT friend for providing their referral link. I figured screw it, nobody knows what the rules and bonus will be if and when I get rid of my Ritz card, a bird in the hand, and all that. Probably going to get rid of it after year 1 but whatever. Sign up bonus makes it make sense for now.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
On the SPG Business card it says: 4X on U.S. purchases for shipping.
What does that mean? Purchases for export? Shipping charges such as FedEx and UPS? Supplies to be shipped (rather tnat a brick and mortar? Something else?

Could not find the fine print on this....
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:50 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
U.S. Shipping
To earn additional rewards for shipping, the purchase must be made in the U.S. for courier, postal, and freight shipping services.

Examples of merchants that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards include:
FedEx
UPS
United States Postal Service

*This is not a complete list.

You will NOT earn additional rewards on shipping costs added to retail purchases (e.g. online or catalog purchases).

You will also NOT earn additional rewards for moving services, local trucking, and trash removal.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c.../business.html
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:03 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
So now that I've combined my SPG and Marriott accounts, do I need to contact AMEX to change the legacy SPG number on my AMEX SPG card account to the Marriott Rewards member number (which is now my sole account number) or does that somehow magically happen on its own?

In other words, are the future points/free night certs earned from my legacy AMEX SPG card going to automatically route to my new combined account or do I need to notify AMEX that the SPG number they have on file has been superseded by the Marriott Rewards number?
I am also interested in the answer to this question if anyone has any insight. (Both for my SPG number changing and my old Marriott number, which was tied to a Chase card, in theory no longer existing). Though there are so many other things still screwed up on my SPG account, including my points from my SPG Amex statement that closed 10 days ago not having shown up yet, that I haven't bothered to start any cleanup yet since I'm assuming Marriott is still working on all of it, but there's not really any way to know for sure...
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Luxury Card Arrived
Not Metal - Flat plastic card - number in the back (not raised)
Rather than new credit line - they re-allocated 1/2 of my line on the Personal SPG to the Luxe card (had a hefty line of credit)
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
I am also interested in the answer to this question if anyone has any insight. (Both for my SPG number changing and my old Marriott number, which was tied to a Chase card, in theory no longer existing). Though there are so many other things still screwed up on my SPG account, including my points from my SPG Amex statement that closed 10 days ago not having shown up yet, that I haven't bothered to start any cleanup yet since I'm assuming Marriott is still working on all of it, but there's not really any way to know for sure...
I found this on another thread in the Marriott sub-forum:

"From the FAQ:

What do I need to do with my new member number? How will this impact future reservations Ive already booked?

New member numbers will be automatically applied to any existing reservations and linked with your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card(s) from American Express. Remember to apply your new number to any new hotel reservations and meetings/events bookings that you make and confirm that any travel partners have your updated information."
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:44 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I found this on another thread in the Marriott sub-forum:

"From the FAQ:

What do I need to do with my new member number? How will this impact future reservations Ive already booked?

New member numbers will be automatically applied to any existing reservations and linked with your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card(s) from American Express. Remember to apply your new number to any new hotel reservations and meetings/events bookings that you make and confirm that any travel partners have your updated information."
So far, it is my experience that this isn't actually happening re: hotel reservations (I checked into a hotel last night that still had my old SPG number which was showing as no status, and when I gave them my new SPG number -- which was a replacement for my SPG number, not a merger into a Marriott number -- they said that then registered as Platinum). So I'm not optimistic it's happening for the credit card either.

But, it's possible that Marriott is handling it correctly where people may have replaced their SPG number with a Marriott number, but somehow forgot to account for / didn't handle correctly cases where people's SPG numbers changed independently of merging their accounts, which is what happened for me.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:40 am

I can provide a DP that the Amex SPG is indeed mapped correctly to the new Marriott number. My cc spend just posted to my newly merged Marriott account. Took longer than usual but it's there.
Diplomatico likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.