Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:47 pm

Haha, well I was intending to cancel it anyways and this just makes my decision easier. Already have the Chase Marriott card, no point in having both once they combine programs.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
If you want a hotel than requires more than 35k per night, can you apply the 35k and the deduct the remaining points from your account? Or does it not work that way? Like if I want a room that costs 60k per night, can I use the cert to apply 35k and then pay an additional 25k to get the room?

(Or is the purpose of limiting to at or below 35k to force you to use less desirable properties/timeframes for redemptions?)
It has never worked that way up to now, and Marriott has had such free night cards form Chase for years if not decades. and there's nothing that's been published which implies that it will suddenly start working this way come August.

The whole point of making i a certificate that's capped is because the hotel program "likes" when certificates go unused (because someone didn't want any of the hotels that the certificate would cover), it's more money on the hotel program's balance sheet. If they wanted it work like you wish, they'd just give you points (rather than certs) on your anniversary every year (the way, for example, the Radisson Rewards cards from US Bank do).
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The whole point of making i a certificate that's capped is because the hotel program "likes" when certificates go unused (because someone didn't want any of the hotels that the certificate would cover), it's more money on the hotel program's balance sheet.

Undoubtedly. Marriott would love it if people never used their free night certificates! (and I suspect a large number of those certificates are never claimed before they expire....which means the annual fee on those accounts becomes almost 100% pure profit)
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some refer to marriott certificates being limited by category even though they have points stated
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:38 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Apologies if this has already been covered, but I haven't seen it -- can anyone point me to confirmation, if it exists, that the current SPG Amex card will issue 3 new points for spend up until July 31 on non-bonus categories even if your statement closes after August 1? Just wondering if I'll want to stop using the card after my July statement closes, or whether it's clear through the end of the month.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if point conversion date is august 1, then a statement that ends august 1 or after will not get starpoints, but points, when the crediting happens from amex to starwood/marriott

IIRC amex and some others mention aug 1, spg forum keeps insisting there is no date yet
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:20 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if point conversion date is august 1, then a statement that ends august 1 or after will not get starpoints, but points, when the crediting happens from amex to starwood/marriott

IIRC amex and some others mention aug 1, spg forum keeps insisting there is no date yet
Right and so the question is whether the SPG Amex will give you 3 new points for July 31 and earlier spend, consistent with today's return, or 2 new points, consistent with the new value proposition.

Amex has had other changes like this before -- for example IIRC when the Premier Rewards Gold card started offering 2x points on restaurants that came as of the 1st of month, and indeed you got 2x credit on some dates and not others within a single statement. But that was just changing the multiplier while the currency remained the same; I could imagine this might be trickier because the currency is changing, and there isn't any going-forward need for an ability to give 3 new points per dollar on any spend.

Also agree that SPG hasn't said when the Starpoints in your account already will be converted to new points, but Amex has been clear that the change to earning points instead of Starpoints is effective as of August 1. So I guess if the existing balance conversion happens later, things could get further interesting for those with statement close dates very early in the month.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bgriff
Apologies if this has already been covered, but I haven't seen it -- can anyone point me to confirmation, if it exists, that the current SPG Amex card will issue 3 new points for spend up until July 31 on non-bonus categories even if your statement closes after August 1? Just wondering if I'll want to stop using the card after my July statement closes, or whether it's clear through the end of the month.
Per the biz Cardmember Agreement (emphasis mine):

Detail of Changes to Your Cardmember Agreement

This notice amends your American Express Cardmember Agreement ("Cardmember Agreement") as described below. Any terms in the
Cardmember Agreement conflicting with these changes are completely replaced. Terms not changed by this notice continue to apply. If
you have any questions, please call the number on the back of your Card.

(i) Unless otherwise indicated below, effective August 1, 2018, your Cardmember Agreement will be amended as follows:
The Supplement to the Cardmember Agreement is amended by deleting "Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints®" in the header and
replacing with "Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card."

The Supplement to the Cardmember Agreement, is amended in the How you receive points sub-section by deleting "1 Starpoint®
(point)" and replacing it with "2 points."

The Supplement to the Cardmember Agreement, is amended by deleting the first two paragraphs of the How you receive additional
points sub-section and replacing it with the following:

You receive 4 additional points (for a total of 6 points) for each $1 of eligible purchases on your Card Account charged directly
with hotels participating in Starwood Preferred Guest, standalone Starwood retail establishments, and Starwood online stores
that, in each case, are wholly owned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, LLC (a subsidiary of Marriott International, Inc.)
and its affiliates.

You receive 4 additional points (for a total of 6 points) for each $1 of eligible purchases on your Card Account charged directly
with hotels participating in Marriott Rewards®, standalone Marriott branded retail establishments, and Marriott branded online
stores (including online purchases of Marriott branded gift cards), that in each case, are owned by Marriott International, Inc. and
its affiliates.

The Supplement to the Agreement, is amended by adding the following paragraph as a third paragraph to the How you receive
additional points sub-section:

You receive 2 additional points (for a total of 4 points) for each $1 of eligible purchases on your Card Account charged directly at
U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, at U.S. wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers, and on
U.S. purchases for shipping.
Closing date is irrelevant.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:18 pm

Sorry this is long.

For 10+ years my annual fee posted the last week of July. It posted early this year so I asked Amex about the 35k free night, thinking they could provide points as compensation due to timing.

Amex reps are very uninformed about changes to the card.

Two reps insisted that only the luxury card comes with a free night. I provided a link to the details and they still said it’s not a benefit & my card is not being changed.

My question was escalated and they repeated what I was told. Then they claimed the free night is for new applicants. Then they claimed the free night comes from Marriott and has nothing to do with Amex (the “not my department” argument).

I can understand that MR may control this benefit but how can it have nothing to do with Amex if it’s tied to the fee posting?

I have zero hope that Amex/Marriott will provide any leeway on this unfairness, so I won’t get a free night. If they do it will come as a directive from Marriott. [expletive omitted]

Last edited by rrgg; Jul 9, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

are they discontinuing new signups for non luxury spg card ?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
are they discontinuing new signups for non luxury spg card ?
You presumably mean the non-luxury personal card. Quite likely (given that only Chase supposedly has rights to "market" non-luxury personal cards in the new program, and the new program starts in August), but nothing's been announced yet. But Amex don't necessarily need to announce in advance the discontinuance of new signups, so it's unclear whether it will be "announced" or it will just "happen" suddenly.

Amex has the rights to business cards in the new program, so they don't need to discontinue signups for the SPG business card (though they could if they decide to launch a new card which is not an automatic replacement for existing cards, the way Chase launched a new Marriott personal card recently while discontinuing applications for the previous Marriott personal card, but keeping the two cards separate for now ).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Member

AMEX is saying that you only will receive the free night for card anniversaries of Aug 1 or later. So if your anniversary is before Aug 1, too bad because they published to everyone. You lose out on the benefit in 2018!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Okay, so we're sitting here with
  • an AF that just posted (11 July)
  • an offer through August something of $50 credit for $1500 spend and/or $100 credit for $3000 spend (i.e., another $50 for a second $1500). By the end of the weekend we will have hit the $3000 spend. Flies in the ointment are (a) that no $50 credit posted when we passed $1500 a month ago; (b) a 3 July e-mail from Amex/SPG showing that we were registered in the program and had $0 progress through 13 June; and (c) formal language in the offer that says credit(s) will post 8-12 weeks after August end data. Slight possible mitigations to above include (i) just called in and CSR could see our spend on program that conformed to the $ with our calculations; and (ii) CSR said that credit could post when spend hits $3,000.
No way this card gets used for spend after 1 August.

So what is my play here? The hotel certificate would be of value, but it seems as if we would have to pay two more AFs before getting one in July 2019. One of those AFs would be mitigated by the $100 credit, but if that credit doesn't show up before 11 August, then we would have to pay the AF and wait for it. Given how far off all of this is -- the hotel cert, in particular -- my temptation is just to wait until first week of August and cancel the card then, whether credit has posted (found money!) or not (since from a spending standpoint, it's now a useless card).

Or would I be cutting off my nose to spite my face, since the eventual $100 credit does make it possible to hold card at no real cost for one more year.?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:39 pm

My fee posts in July too and last year I had a similar offer. It was for points and received them in late September even though I finished spending earlier. Yes, it will likely post past anytime that you cancel and get the annual fee refunded.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by rrgg
Yes, it will likely post past anytime that you cancel and get the annual fee refunded.
It seems to me that that's the whole point of the offer - to keep you from cancelling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.