Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
As someone who puts a substantial amount of real spend on my SPG personal every month... I’m very disappointed with the earning devaluation.

Not sure where to move my spend... I guess the Freedom Unlimited or PC to the EDP?

All good things must come to an end I guess...
Same here. Through work I average around $150,000 a month in spending on the SPG card. I usually will take a great deal of those points and use them on my airlines tickets. A bit up in the air on which way to go now.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Wisdom
Same here. Through work I average around $150,000 a month in spending on the SPG card. I usually will take a great deal of those points and use them on my airlines tickets. A bit up in the air on which way to go now.
I'm moving mine to the Blue for Business Plus/BofA Premium card (only good if you have a lot of money with BofA). I'll spend a lot on the SPG card until 8/1 and then that'll likely be the end of it.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:43 pm

I have had both the personal and business SPG cards since 2008, my renewal dates are 04/15 and 07/08. Amex says I do not get the night certificates since I renew before 08/01, and are offering me nothing.

I sent an email to Amex corporate at [email protected] asking why they decided to offer zero value to customers renewing before 08/01 and if they have any plans to remedy it.
hipp0 and mhdena like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Given that with the new SPG premier card, one would be able to get Marriott Gold status with $75K spending and that Amex has said it would be giving generous upgrade offers in August, does it make sense to get as much spending on the current Amex card? My sense is that the spending on current card should be rolling over to the new card.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by jediwho
Given that with the new SPG premier card, one would be able to get Marriott Gold status with $75K spending and that Amex has said it would be giving generous upgrade offers in August, does it make sense to get as much spending on the current Amex card? My sense is that the spending on current card should be rolling over to the new card.
According to Marriott Rewards Credit Cards you get Platinum Elite when you hit 75k. You get Gold Elite for just holding the card.

Unless you “upgrade” (if they allow it while keeping the number etc) the spend is unlikely to carry over.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
These downgrades to the existing SPG cards are a bummer, and the new "premium" card is pretty lackluster for a $450 AF, IMO. I'm not thrilled with the ~33% devaluation of earnings but as long as I remain grandfathered into the old $65 AF and get the anniversary night I'll keep it. Post 8/1 I'll probably treat my SPG card like I do my IHG card. Let it live a life of leisure in the sock drawer.
Diplomatico, 84fiero and mhdena like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mia
The only things that surprise me are:
  1. American Express will still issue cards with Starwood branding, rather than Marriott branding, even though earning New Marriott points. I don't see the benefit of keeping the Starwood brand alive in a token fashion. I daresay this means that the $95 American Express cards will not be considered new products, so no new account bonuses for those who have held SPG cards recently, unless applying for the $450 card. I think this puts American Express at a disadvantage with the general public, who are unlikely to think of "Starwood" when looking for a "Marriott" card
That surprised me as well. The members.marriott.com page says

STARTING IN AUGUST, MARRIOTT REWARDS®, THE RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS® AND STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST®(SPG®) WILL COME TOGETHER AS ONE POWERFUL PROGRAM.

Individual program names will stay the same until 2019, but we’ll consolidate everything else into one set of benefits to give you easier access and more opportunities.
Really strange. All these changes, and they could make the name change at the same time? Are the card issuers shipping cards with the current names starting in August (and marketing them) and then make a switch in 2019?!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Really strange. All these changes, and they could make the name change at the same time? Are the card issuers shipping cards with the current names starting in August (and marketing them) and then make a switch in 2019?!
from the look of the renders in the press release it appears thats how they will handle it. seems pretty chaotic, a SPG branded card earning marriott points and status. im sure the rebranding next year is going to cost an arm and a leg for marriott
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
A blogger just released details of the sign-up bonus for the new "regular" Amex card and it's really bad. At this point I think Amex can put a fork in their MR/SPG business and call it a day and focus on their Hilton Honors offerings and promote the crap out of them. Link to thread started in the SPG forum on the details:

New AMEX sign-up deals revealed and it is VERY bad
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by cplush
from the look of the renders in the press release it appears thats how they will handle it. seems pretty chaotic, a SPG branded card earning marriott points and status. im sure the rebranding next year is going to cost an arm and a leg for marriott
They've only had forever to think of a name, yet, couldn't do it by the other day. Marriott's board of directors need to clean house.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:13 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by christianj
A blogger just released details of the sign-up bonus ...

Earn a $100 statement credit after you make $1,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership
Earn an additional $100 statement credit after your first purchase on the Card at a participating SPG® or Marriott Rewards®hotel within your first 6 months of Card Membership
SOURCE

Does it matter what the offers are if you have already had these cards? It will be interesting to see if Chase also offers statement credits, rather than points, on their Marriott cards.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: SPG
Angry Amex spg 25,000 point award

AMEX Canada will not honour the 25,000 point award for previous Marriott VISA customers as promoted. After 3 phone calls, the Supervisor tells me I used the wrong link to apply. When I tell him that I recorded the link that I used, he had no interest in going further with the conversation. SPG will regret aligning with AMEX. They have no customer service, period!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cplush
Won't all Marriott, RC and SPG cards earn a to-be-named program points? Yea, very choatic.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
No longer a rumor. Both SPG Biz card and consumer SPG card have same offer: $100 SC after spending $1000 within 3 months, plus $100 SC after first purchase at Marriott/SPG hotels within 6 months. $0 first year then $95
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:03 pm

Got to thank DoC for finally convincing me to jump on the 35k Biz offer this year....$200 bonus is less than quite a few non-AF cards, almost looks like they'd like to discourage people from signing up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.