Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
I thought AmEx didn't prorate the AF anymore?
For whatever reason, I received a 100% refund of my Hilton Surpass card annual fee when I cancelled it prior to receiving the Ascend re-branded card. That was about nine months after actually paying the fee.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
As indicated by the thread title, there are exceptions to the policy:

Bye Bye pro-rated Annual Fee refunds (USA), September 2016, exceptions reported.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mhdena
I think I saw "Marriott Preferred Guest" as the new name.
in 2015 i thought Marriott Preferred Guest >
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...l#post25772414

but then >
oct 27 2016 hyatt announced globalist (PR campaign)

so i imagine there is some kind of expensive focus group tested name coming

and this could be a placeholder >
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...l#post29639330
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
but then >
oct 27 2016 hyatt announced globalist (PR campaign)

so i imagine there is some kind of expensive focus group tested name coming
I hope they got more for their money than Hyatt did. Hyatt deserves not only a refund, but damages from whomever came up with what they have now.
Centurion and notquiteaff like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:55 pm

Anyone have the Amex SPG Personal and Marriott Premier cards and planning to keep both? Seems like the best option for me is to keep the Marriott card (the ability to still earn an elite night per 3k spend feels smart to hold onto) but I would obviously get 1 point less at Marriott props.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dblue
Anyone have the Amex SPG Personal and Marriott Premier cards and planning to keep both? Seems like the best option for me is to keep the Marriott card (the ability to still earn an elite night per 3k spend feels smart to hold onto) but I would obviously get 1 point less at Marriott props.
Will the new Marriott Premier Plus get you the elite night per 3K? You would also get same number of points (6) at Marriott properties.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
Will the new Marriott Premier Plus get you the elite night per 3K?
It's not listed a benefit of the new Marriott Premier Plus. Of course, we don't know for sure if it's not an oversight (given the card is not released yet so we don't know if the list of benefits is final yet), but it sure doesn't look promising.

If you want to be sure to have an elite night per 3K, and you don't have the existing Marriott Premier (non-Plus) card yet, you should apply for that one (while you still can!) if that benefit is important to you.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:55 pm

The fact that it is listed for the original card and not the new one makes me pretty confident that it won't be a benefit for the new card.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dblue
I'm going to wait until the full benefits of each card have been confirmed to make a decision.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Got a letter in the mail from Amex last night on the updates to the existing SPG Amex card. Pretty much a recap of what has been discussed and confirmed so far BUT I did notice the following:

1. Introducing the Annual Free Night Award - There is NO mention of a cap at 35,000 points for the free night. It naturally mentions "participating" properties but for transparency there should have been mention of the 35k cap if it is indeed going to be applied.
2. Changes to Elite Status Credit - Recap as we already have confirmed that 5nights/2stays will go away. There is NO mention of 15 nights being applied to accounts starting Jan. 1.

I assume these things will be confirmed in a later mailing but right now I'm somewhat cautious of ANYTHING coming from this merger.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj
Got a letter in the mail from Amex last night on the updates to the existing SPG Amex card. Pretty much a recap of what has been discussed and confirmed so far BUT I did notice the following:

1. Introducing the Annual Free Night Award - There is NO mention of a cap at 35,000 points for the free night. It naturally mentions "participating" properties but for transparency there should have been mention of the 35k cap if it is indeed going to be applied..
This is an SPG card. But the cap will be 35000 Marriott points. At this point (until August), SPG and Marriott are separate programs, with different point valuations. It would quite cumbersome for them to explain (in a method palatable to their lawyers) how many in SPG terms those 35000 points will be. (It's especially confusing to explain since SPG points will convert to Marriott points 1:3, so going backwards you have to divide by 3, 35000 is not evenly by 3, so it's impossible to explainhow many points 35000 Marriott points equate to in whole SPG poiints. You'd end up with an "infinite" number of digits after the decimal points, plus a number that some are superstitious about, as 35000 / 3 = 11666.666666666666666666...

So it's likely that they won't explain the cap to you until after your SPG points convert to Marriott points. Once you have only Marriott points, only then will it be easy to explain a 35000 points cap. (Please note: While 35000 points may match a specific category in 2018, in 2019 there will be off-peak and on-peak versions of categories, and so the same 35000 point cap may get you one category less for certain stay dates. So it's also impossible to clearly explain the cap using category numbers. The cap can only be explained using Marriott points, but SPG emails can't assume that you're already familiar with Marriott points.)
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Life would be easier, I think, if they just gave you 35,000 (Marriott) points every year, similar to how the US Bank Radisson card gives you 40k points.

But of course, the free night is worth up to 35k points, so they presumably count on some people using it for lower cost awards. And 35k points combined with other points could result in a much more costly award (or travel package transfer) for them.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Life would be easier, I think, if they just gave you 35,000 (Marriott) points every year, similar to how the US Bank Radisson card gives you 40k points.

But of course, the free night is worth up to 35k points, so they presumably count on some people using it for lower cost awards. And 35k points combined with other points could result in a much more costly award (or travel package transfer) for them.
Also breakage. The certs expire, and not everyone uses them by their expiration date.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:10 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm going to wait until the full benefits of each card have been confirmed to make a decision.
Yep I'm in the same boat...
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Luxury card to be released August 1, upgrades August 9

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.