Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by rrgg
Unless you're trying to reach a spending threshold, is it even worth putting any spending on any SPG/MR/RC card after August 1st except for Marriott/SPG/RC hotels? All of the bonus categories have better earning rates elsewhere.
No, IMO. And even for hotel stays, if you have something like the CSR, I'd probably put the spend on that.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by javabytes
No, IMO. And even for hotel stays, if you have something like the CSR, I'd probably put the spend on that.

I have in the past put Marriott charges on the old Visa card even though I have a CSR. The 5 MR points are nominally worth less than the alternative of 3 UR points, but for diversification purposes I wanted to build up sufficient MR points for a future award. I don’t stay much at Marriotts, so it takes a while to earn sufficient points.

otherwise, yeah, there is really no reason for me to use the card for anything. No interest in the night credits for $3k in spend.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:23 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Stupid question - do you receive the free night certificate at the beginning of the membership year, or at the end?

I didn't receive any free night certificates when I signed up for the Chase Marriott cards so I assume they credit you the certificate at the end. I guess the Amex SPG cards work differently and they offer the cert at the beginning?

Or does this "credit at the beginning" only apply for existing Amex SPG cardholders who renew into the newly updated version of the card? Confusing.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:41 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Did some research and it appears my last statement is correct... receiving the cert at the beginning is only a renewing special for existing cardholders.

Which sucks since my renewal dates for both of my SPG cards occur at the end of July, right before the Aug 1 cutoff .

That's why they picked that date.

Last edited by mia; Apr 22, 2018 at 6:46 am Reason: Remove masked vulgarities.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:13 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by mia
About what? I think the information is here:

Marriott Rewards Credit Cards
oh im waiting for the sign up bonuses... i know what that cards are.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
.... my renewal dates for both of my SPG cards occur at the end of July, right before the Aug 1 cutoff....
This is just like my situation. My SPG Business will get the AF charged in July and my Personal was back in February. At least I got retention on it. I'll probably close the business card unless they really make it worthwhile for me.

Last edited by mia; Apr 22, 2018 at 6:47 am Reason: Prune quotation.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by t1c
oh im waiting for the sign up bonuses... i know what that cards are.
Somewhere in Marriott forum I saw that the bonus for the new Chase Marriott $95 AF card coming in early May is initially going to be 100k but will require $5k spend in 3 months (as opposed to the existing Chase Marriott $85 AF card, while still available, giving only 75k but only requiring $3k spend in 3 months). I'm not sure if this is certain or not.

The signup bonus for the Amex "SPG" $450 AF card coming in August isn't likely to be known for some time, since August is a lot further away than early May.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:45 pm

If your annual fee is being charged April/May/June/July, would you keep the card open while earning 1 SPG / 3 "Point"s, then close after August for a prorated refund when you start earning 2 "Points"? Or is there a better move? (I'm assuming no retention offer, e.g. already took one from Amex in the past year.)
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by photaco
If your annual fee is being charged April/May/June/July, would you keep the card open while earning 1 SPG / 3 "Point"s, then close after August for a prorated refund when you start earning 2 "Points"? Or is there a better move? (I'm assuming no retention offer, e.g. already took one from Amex in the past year.)
I thought AmEx didn't prorate the AF anymore?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:39 am

My AF just posted this month. On one hand, the value of using the card outside of Marriott/SPG has dropped significantly. On the other, I stopped aiming for the free night on the Hilton cards when the spend requirement jumped from $10k to $15k, so having a free night (even with the category limits) is attractive. Had thought about AMEX Platinum to get Gold status, but doesn't look like it will give much over Silver. I guess I'll keep the card.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Your Starpoints are becoming points..
The lack of a new program name is causing confusion among a few friends. They don't understand the difference "Starpoints" and "points"...their Starpoints, Starwood points or SPG points are already "points". I had to explain that "Starpoints" will be converted to a "to-be-named new program points" at 1:3 ratio.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
The lack of a new program name is causing confusion among a few friends.
They will probably just merge the names... Marriott Starwood Guest aka MSG.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I think I saw "Marriott Preferred Guest" as the new name.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
They will probably just merge the names... Marriott Starwood Guest aka MSG.
Except that there are three programs merging: Marriott, Ritz, and Starwood. So it's MRS .
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
I thought AmEx didn't prorate the AF anymore?
I though so too:

Bye Bye pro-rated Annual Fee refunds (USA), September 2016, exceptions reported.

but when I called Amex to cancel my SPG biz card last Friday (all handled by the computer, no human), the computer claimed I'd get a prorated refund of the AF for one month or something like that. I don't understand why since I'm cancelling in the 13th month and my AF was already due (it's since been reversed), so even if they were doing prorating still, I don't understand why this would be a situation that would qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.