Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Travel22
....I will ask about reallocating some of the credit line. .....
You don't need to ask or call. It's a self-service web function. See the thread that I linked in my previous reply.
Travel22 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by mia
You don't need to ask or call. It's a self-service web function. See the thread that I linked in my previous reply.
Do you happen to know if a transfer that results in a card having a credit line over $25,000 will result in a hard pull? I know that was the case at one time, but not sure about now. Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:39 pm

Thinking of upgrading the standard Bonvoy AMEX to the premium one. I currently have an anniversary certificate (good for up to 35k points). Do I lose the certificate or get an upgraded one (good for up to 50k points) if I upgrade the card?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Travel22
Do you happen to know if a transfer that results in a card having a credit line over $25,000 will result in a hard pull? I know that was the case at one time, but not sure about now. Thanks.
Bumping my own post. Anyone know if AMEX does a hard pull if the CL reallocation puts a card in excess of $25,000?
Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:38 pm

spg marriott bonvoy card

guys - if i pay off the annual fee now, does amex refund if it cancel within the first 3 months similar to how chase does it

thx
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:06 pm
mia

No, and if this is a newly opened account closing within the first 12 months risks having the bonus retracted -and- risks being denied a bonus on future American Express application.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by sam007
guys - if i pay off the annual fee now, does amex refund if it cancel within the first 3 months similar to how chase does it

thx
Neither Chase nor Amex refund any part of your AF if you cancel your card 3 months after paying it.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by lax01
Just a DP on the Business Bonvoy card (previously SPG Biz card) - hit the $3k limit (got the card before it went to $5k MSR) and I have not reached a monthly statement but I got the 75k Bonvoy points in my Marriott account - not bad
Any other data points like this ? Trying to go to Hawaii next month, I currently have 135k Bonvoy Points, and just opened the Brilliant card to get 75k more w/ a 3k minimum spend. I can easily put 3k on the card by the end of this month - any chance the points will post before mid-late July?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence
Any other data points like this ? Trying to go to Hawaii next month, I currently have 135k Bonvoy Points, and just opened the Brilliant card to get 75k more w/ a 3k minimum spend. I can easily put 3k on the card by the end of this month - any chance the points will post before mid-late July?
I got both the Business and the Brilliant (through upgrade) this year and the bonus points for both cards posted within a couple of days of meeting the spend requirement (didn't have to wait until statement closed or anything). The way it worked was about two days from the spend posting on my Amex the bonus points showed up as "earned" in my Amex account, and then about a day or two for them to show up in my Marriott account. It's not always guaranteed, but I believe there's good chance of you getting the bonus points to post even this month if you meet the spend quickly. Good luck.
kthpence likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kthpence
Posted in 3 business days for me, and didn't have to wait for a statement or anything like that.
kthpence likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:37 pm

I had an SPG Amex personal card several years ago. Recently got a new Amex Bonvoy Business card, with a 75,000 bonus offer for $3K spend. I called to verify the spend deadline date, and she told me I will not get the bonus at all because I had this card before. I said I never had a Bonvoy card, plus I never had a business card. I see nothing in the Terms and Conditions that an old personal SPG card counts as this new Bonvoy card. She said they consider it "all the same."

Am I missing something? Can I HUCA and ask "where does it say Bonvoy and SPG cards are all the same?" Thanks for any tips.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:57 pm
mia

Originally Posted by cheaptom
....Can I HUCA .....
Please do.

The terms for this offer are wordy, but there is nothing about a personal Starwood/Marriott card issued by American Express:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product or The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

Welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BusinessTM Credit Card from Chase, or the Marriott Rewards® Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BoldTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a new Card Member bonus offer in the last 24 months on the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BoldTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I called to verify the spend deadline date, and she told me I will not get the bonus at all because I had this card before. I said I never had a Bonvoy card, plus I never had a business card. I see nothing in the Terms and Conditions that an old personal SPG card counts as this new Bonvoy card.

Thanks for any tips.
If you just meet the spend I'd expect the points to post. Likely just a misinformed rep.

Application date + 90 days to be on the conservative side.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:46 am

AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant Card

Does any one know if the the Annual free award night for this card comes after the first year? Or do I get one every year, even during my first year.

Also is it confirmed that the $300 credit will be triggered on a room charge?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:43 am
mia

Moderator action

I moved your questions into the established thread discussion the Bonvoy cards issue by American Express.

Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
[.... $300 credit will be triggered on a room charge?
See also this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...t-reports.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.