Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
With the news of many hotels shifting from category 5 to 6, I am not sure even keeping the Amex SPG card at $95 is worth it anymore. I thought the $95 for up to 35,000 points for a free night seemed like a no brainer before.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
There's a minor reprieve on the Bonvoy Amex Card (legacy SPG). Seems this promotion will allow $100k of purchases be earning at the non-devalued rates. So for anyone with this card, it'd be worth putting $100k of spend before putting it into the sock drawer.

Register your Card by April 7, 2019 and earn up to 100K bonus points

You can earn 25,000 bonus points after you spend $25,000 in qualifying purchases on your registered Marriott BonvoyTMAmerican Express® Card between the time you complete registration and December 31, 2019. This offer is available up to four times with a maximum amount of 100,000 bonus points after spending $100,000. Registration period ends on April 7, 2019. Terms and Conditions apply.
I received that offer too. I just don't think I'll spend much more than $25,000 on the card between now and the end of the year, let alone $100,000.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by zorbachs
With the news of many hotels shifting from category 5 to 6, I am not sure even keeping the Amex SPG card at $95 is worth it anymore. I thought the $95 for up to 35,000 points for a free night seemed like a no brainer before.
Add to that the change to Peak/Off-Peak pricing coming later this year and the certificate will not work on Category 5 during "peak" periods. Probably cancelling soon.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by halamadrid
Add to that the change to Peak/Off-Peak pricing coming later this year and the certificate will not work on Category 5 during "peak" periods. Probably cancelling soon.
My AF will post next month, so I need to decide quickly, but yes, I just see no real reason to keep this card. I'd be better off using one of the slots for a Hilton card if I need a hotel credit card. I already have Marriott status through the Platinum card higher than what the Bonvoy gives you.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, SK Diamond, Finnair Gold, BA Silver
Elite night posing for new approvals?

Approved for the Bonvoy Brilliant card on Feb. 28. How long until the 15 elite nights typically post on my Marriott account?

Also, I must say I was slightly disappointed to get the flimsy plastic SPG Luxury card in the mail when I had applied for the new card...
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by halamadrid
Do you really think that you can't get $95 of value from a Category 4 redemption?

Yes, I would love for Marriott to address the situation surrounding peak/off-peak, but I'm confident that I'm still getting a deal. What I'm not doing is giving them any spend, because better earning options exist now across the board.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RoarAhead
Also, I must say I was slightly disappointed to get the flimsy plastic SPG Luxury card in the mail when I had applied for the new card...
I mean it's the same card, just with a stupid new name and a better design. I've read elsewhere online they had issues with all the new Bonvoy cards and that the rebranded ones won't be available until the end of March. My SPG Biz replacement card I got a week or so ago is still the old design.

I'm in a similar predicament as RedSun with regard to the AF increase on the biz. I don't really want to pay $125 for a 35k FN when I have both the Ritz and SPG Lux which give 50k FNs with only a slight increase in net-AF, $150 vs $125. I've been fortunate to have been grandfathered into the $65 AF on the Biz, I've never been raised to $95 for some unknown reason, and pretty much the only reason I have kept it is for lucrative biz card only Amex Offers that more than offset the fee. If they finally raise my AF to the new $125 I may just cancel it to open up the CC slot. These cards are worthless for day to day spend and with the Marriott earn rates being the same, one only needs as many cards as they feel like paying for FN certs.
Wolverine likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by roundtree
Do you really think that you can't get $95 of value from a Category 4 redemption?

Yes, I would love for Marriott to address the situation surrounding peak/off-peak, but I'm confident that I'm still getting a deal. What I'm not doing is giving them any spend, because better earning options exist now across the board.
It's just difficult for the places I travel to (I'm upset that the places where I would normally use these in 3 different cities all went up - including pretty much everything in NYC), but I do agree that I can figure out how to get more than $95 back from that certificate. I will also have 3 IHG certificates in the future as well, which in a way sort of fill the same void in terms of property class. Nothing is final I guess and since I paid the fee not too long ago I have quite a bit to think about it.

I guess my additional concern is that I wouldn't put any spend on the card and worry that it will start triggering the no bonus pop-up on future applications.
roundtree likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:11 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I mean it's the same card, just with a stupid new name and a better design. I've read elsewhere online they had issues with all the new Bonvoy cards and that the rebranded ones won't be available until the end of March. My SPG Biz replacement card I got a week or so ago is still the old design.

I'm in a similar predicament as RedSun with regard to the AF increase on the biz. I don't really want to pay $125 for a 35k FN when I have both the Ritz and SPG Lux which give 50k FNs with only a slight increase in net-AF, $150 vs $125. I've been fortunate to have been grandfathered into the $65 AF on the Biz, I've never been raised to $95 for some unknown reason, and pretty much the only reason I have kept it is for lucrative biz card only Amex Offers that more than offset the fee. If they finally raise my AF to the new $125 I may just cancel it to open up the CC slot. These cards are worthless for day to day spend and with the Marriott earn rates being the same, one only needs as many cards as they feel like paying for FN certs.
The AmEx Biz card $125 fee is ok if you just use the FN. But the $30 increase is not matched with any real benefits. We already get more than 12 FNs all together and I can earn more FN easily through other spending.

Also, I had to close my only Hilton card to open space for two SPG cards. I need to close either the Biz SPG card or the AmEx ED card.
happychic likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:07 pm

does anyone have a copy of the spg business 75k points for 3k spend offer that was available around the time of the merger?
I signed up for it and was approved, made the spend and never got the points....then when I call they tell me I signed up for the 100k points for 5k spend, but since it's past 90 days, nothing they can do....unless I can provide them a copy of the offer I signed up for....it is so annoying that I didn't screenshot the offer, I know what I signed up for, but they won't budge without proof....grrrrr....anyone have a copy?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:02 pm

This is a really noob question but I just got the AMEX bonvoy card, is there a way to see how many points I earned from each transaction? With Chase, you click on the transaction and it shows how many points have been earned but I cant seem to figure that out on AMEX.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:47 pm
Suspended

You'll need to activate AmEx "new version" to see reward details. Below is an example of one transaction. MR rewards work the same way.

Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:36 pm

is there a guide on how to activate the new version? does this work on the app as well?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:04 pm

does the $100 global entry and $300 marriott credit take away from the spending i've done towards the $5000 minimum?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ayee007
does the $100 global entry and $300 marriott credit take away from the spending i've done towards the $5000 minimum?
No and no. You need to spend the $5k on your own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.