Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:02 pm

Amex won't even let me apply for the Bonvoy Brilliant card because I just recently got the Amex SPG. They won't even process the application, so there's no approval/denial.

Might have to wait a month or more
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by WantsAmex
Amex won't even let me apply for the Bonvoy Brilliant card because I just recently got the Amex SPG. They won't even process the application, so there's no approval/denial.

Did you also get another AmEx card within the last 90 days prior to AmEx SPG or you have had SPG Luxury and closed it in the not so distant past? I assume you get the pop up saying so.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by vincewy
Did you also get another AmEx card within the last 90 days prior to AmEx SPG or you have had SPG Luxury and closed it in the not so distant past? I assume you get the pop up saying so.
No. There was no pop up. I applied, but it says card cant be approved. I called Amex and they stated they didnt process (not that they denied me) the application because they see I already have a card in the same family. I explained they are two different cards, but they didnt seem to care.

They mention after 30 days I should be able to apply for the Brilliant.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:46 am

No. There was no pop up. I applied, but it says card cant be approved. I called Amex and they stated they didnt process (not that they denied me) the application because they see I already have a card in the same family. I explained they are two different cards, but they didnt seem to care.

They mention after 30 days I should be able to apply for the Brilliant.
How recent did you get the personal SPG? I'm in the same boat (having the SPG in Jan) but plan to get Brilliant in April, if it's a no go then I'll have to go with Plan B (another new card) due to upcoming expenses.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:06 pm

A little over 3 weeks ago. If you're waiting until April, you should be fine
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Date point on SPG AMEX luxury card : Received card 2/14. Completed $5k spend 2/23. Billing cycle closed 2/25. On 2/26 - The 100k bonus points show up in Amex account under "YTD Earned"....but not yet on Marriott site.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Troopers
I placed ~$5k deposit for a cruise next summer on the card several months ago (pre Aug 1). Thus, I earned 3x new Marriott points when the SPG/Marriott programs merged. We can't make the cruise so I will be canceling the cruise and the deposit will be refunded. Questions: 1. how many new Marriott points will be deducted? 2. will Amex clawback the points from my Marriott account or will my Amex SPG account be reduced (to a negative balance)?
Update: I closed the former SPG biz card last month, and then canceled my cruise. The cruise deposit was credited back to the closed account, and then I requested a check for the credit amount via online chat. Check arrived about a week later. No Marriott Bonvoy points were clawed back nor was my Amex Bonvoy account in a negative balance. I also received the 15 night credit.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:53 am

Can someone please help? I was wondering for the 6x points. Does it eligible if I book it though the Marriott website and prepaid it?
Or I have to choose the one that pay while check-out directly with the hotel terminal? If I prepaid it, it's still charge me directly from the hotel?
Thanks!!!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by elg26
Date point on SPG AMEX luxury card : Received card 2/14. Completed $5k spend 2/23. Billing cycle closed 2/25. On 2/26 - The 100k bonus points show up in Amex account under "YTD Earned"....but not yet on Marriott site.
Another update: the 100k (along with additional points from the spend in last 2 weeks) posted to my Marriott account on 2/27!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by elg26
Another update: the 100k (along with additional points from the spend in last 2 weeks) posted to my Marriott account on 2/27!
Do 100K points show up on AmEx account a few days after meeting spending threshold or only at the end of statement periods? Perhaps we need more data points on this?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:54 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Do 100K points show up on AmEx account a few days after meeting spending threshold or only at the end of statement periods? Perhaps we need more data points on this?
Usually at the end of the statement...how long after the statement closes is another story...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:22 am

Hard to tell..... my statement coincidentally closed immediately after I hit the 5k spend....only 2 weeks in..... so it posted immediately on my Amex account...and then 1 day later in my Marriott account....

So agree need additional data points...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: marriott & delta & hilton
Question business v personal bonvoy card

Not sure if this is right thread - so many. We have premiere marriott personal card from 2 years ago. If we apply for bonvoy business card can we get points? Other than difference in annual fee, what is difference on the business v the personal. I know I am missing it - but don't "see" it. TY
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by motomommy
.... We have premiere marriott personal card from 2 years ago.....
Here are the terms of the Bonvoy Business bonus:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product or The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

Welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Business from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, or the Marriott Bonvoy BusinessTM from Chase, or the Marriott Rewards Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a new cardmember bonus in the last 24 months on the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Plus from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase.
You need to lookup when you received the new account bonus points for your existing account, and wait until more than two full years have elapsed.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:14 pm

Today is the 31st day and it still won't process. Might give up pursuing this card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.