Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueEyedBuckeye
I think you're right. I google'd it and in just the last few weeks ago Amex added vague "5/24-esque" language but no one knows what the rules are! Well, looks like I'm one of its first victims.

Chase (who's stock is up twice Amex's in the last 5 years btw) is also on the lookout for churners and yet has found a way to get a Sapphire Reserve in my hand and convince me to move almost all my spend over to them. Then there's Amex (the company that's managed to under-perform the SP500 average) that's turned the Platinum card into a wannabe-Sapphire and is now denying credit cards to people in the top-5% of income/assets. What a silly management team.
It has nothing to do with a "5/24" rule, but rather Amex's algorithm thinking you're worth their money on a sign up bonus. I am far beyond 5/24 and have no issue getting Amex card bonuses, as recently as a couple weeks ago with the new SPG card. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html And to be clear, you weren't denied the card, you were just declined the sign up bonus. If you really wanted the card you could have probably received it sans-bonus had you proceeded with the application. @:-)
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't applied for an Amex card in the last 2 years and I have kept an Amex everyday for 4 years (to keep a relationship), so I'm scratching my head here. Does Amex now have a 5/24 rule they follow? Or maybe they just hate successful millennials (I never see anyone my age with an AMEX anymore).
Amex doesn't do the pull until after you decide to go ahead even though you're not going to get the bonus.

So the evaluation of whether to give you the bonus is based on your Amex history.

But we don't know how far back they look. Datapointw so far suggest they look back at least a couple of years at card closures, maybe more, to see if yiou've been opening Amex cards for the signup bonus and then closing them afterwards (either soon after, or after "sock drawering" them for a while).

Yes, I have had an Everyday for several years and used it, and have had a Hitlon card for over a decade and used it, and I kept an PRG card open the second year and kept using it. But I closed a SPG Business card one year after opening, and closed a Delta Business card one year after opening in the past couple years. And I got eh same popup, and I'm sure it's because of those two cards I closed, despite the three cards I keep open and keep using.

So no, Amex does not have a Chase 5/24 type thing, but what do do is scrutinize your Amex card usage much more closely than anyone has ever scrutinized card usage before.

So what matters is any Amex card you've opened, closed, used, not used, etc, for who knows how many years going back.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Amex doesn't do the pull until after you decide to go ahead even though you're not going to get the bonus.

So the evaluation of whether to give you the bonus is based on your Amex history.

But we don't know how far back they look. Datapointw so far suggest they look back at least a couple of years at card closures, maybe more, to see if yiou've been opening Amex cards for the signup bonus and then closing them afterwards (either soon after, or after "sock drawering" them for a while).

Yes, I have had an Everyday for several years and used it, and have had a Hitlon card for over a decade and used it, and I kept an PRG card open the second year and kept using it. But I closed a SPG Business card one year after opening, and closed a Delta Business card one year after opening in the past couple years. And I got eh same popup, and I'm sure it's because of those two cards I closed, despite the three cards I keep open and keep using.

So no, Amex does not have a Chase 5/24 type thing, but what do do is scrutinize your Amex card usage much more closely than anyone has ever scrutinized card usage before.

So what matters is any Amex card you've opened, closed, used, not used, etc, for who knows how many years going back.
Very interesting thanks for the note!

My history with amex is I opened/closed plat/gold/SPG with them between 2011-2014 when Chase lured me asay. I opened/closed a Delta amex in 2016. And I've kept an amex everyday open since 2014.

Seems like they're looking back a lot longer than 2 years based on my annecdotal experience.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum

That's a false dilemma. If you have a current Amex account, they do a soft pull every month to check your ongoing credit worthiness. They could use information from that about your use of credit from other lenders to factor in to their bonus/no-bonus decision. I don't know whether or not they actually do that, but it's certainly possible.

Chase ... has found a way to get a Sapphire Reserve in my hand and convince me to move almost all my spend over to them.
Are you saying that had you gotten the sign-up bonus for the SPG Luxury card, you'd have moved most of your spending to that and away from the Sapphire Reserve card? What about the Luxury card makes it more attractive than SR, based on your situation?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:25 pm

I guess that if you are meeting minimum spend on an AMEX card that one should continue to get other AMEX cards as there is recent usage history. Once AMEX card is sock-drawer (minimum to no usage), your chance for sign up bonus drops to nil. So once you start AMEX cards, continue until done?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by robchow
....Once AMEX card is sock-drawer (minimum to no usage), your chance for sign up bonus drops to nil. ....
I do not think we have sufficient evidence to support this conclusion. It's a contender, but we do not know the criteria that American Express is using.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
Are you saying that had you gotten the sign-up bonus for the SPG Luxury card, you'd have moved most of your spending to that and away from the Sapphire Reserve card? What about the Luxury card makes it more attractive than SR, based on your situation?
Both are 150AF and both have priority pass so no reason to have both. I travel a decent amount (not as much as some here!) and am an SPG loyalist. SPG points are the most flexible so I give them a premium whereas Chase points basically are just United miles.

So yeah this was the first card in 5 years that actually tempted me. But thisnis the state of amex in 2018 - they want to be Chase so bad but just end up falling on their face.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
chase points are also hyatt points which can be quite useful, particularly for suites.
blitzen likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....SPG points are the most flexible....
There are no Starpoints, only Marriott points. What sort of flexibility do you value?
bgriff likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:17 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I think you're right. I google'd it and in just the last few weeks ago Amex added vague "5/24-esque" language but no one knows what the rules are! Well, looks like I'm one of its first victims.

Chase (who's stock is up twice Amex's in the last 5 years btw) is also on the lookout for churners and yet has found a way to get a Sapphire Reserve in my hand and convince me to move almost all my spend over to them. Then there's Amex (the company that's managed to under-perform the SP500 average) that's turned the Platinum card into a wannabe-Sapphire and is now denying credit cards to people in the top-5% of income/assets. What a silly management team.
It would be pretty impressive if every company in the S&P500 managed to outperform the S&P500 average.
krazykanuck and hipp0 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:30 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Both are 150AF and both have priority pass so no reason to have both. I travel a decent amount (not as much as some here!) and am an SPG loyalist. SPG points are the most flexible so I give them a premium whereas Chase points basically are just United miles.

So yeah this was the first card in 5 years that actually tempted me. But thisnis the state of amex in 2018 - they want to be Chase so bad but just end up falling on their face.
If you highly value the option to transfer Marriott points to a wide variety of airline miles, there might be a case for this viewpoint. But worth remembering that 1 dollar on non-bonus spend on SPG Luxury Amex = .8333 airline miles (including the 25% transfer bonus). 1 dollar of restaurant/airfare spend on SPG Luxury Amex = 1.6667 airline miles. Vs 1 dollar of non-bonus spend on CSR = 1 airline mile with a smaller collection of airlines (or 1.5 airline miles with a smaller collection of airlines if you also hold a no-annual-fee CFU); 1 dollar of restaurant/airfare spend on CSR = 3 airline miles with a smaller collection of airlines.

Totally fine if you value the broader range of transfer options enough to justify that tradeoff, but just worth keeping in mind that it's a very different scale of earnings. If you use the CSR/CFU combo you can earn miles almost twice as fast in all spend categories except SPG/Marriott hotel spend, though with the admitted tradeoff that it's a much smaller group of transfer partners.

If you value earning miles with a variety of airlines, it could also be worth thinking about the Amex Membership Rewards family of cards, which overall (depending on your spend patterns) doesn't earn quite as many points as the Chase family of cards can, but does earn miles faster than the SPG Luxury card, and offers more transfer partners than Chase but not as many as Marriott, putting it right in the middle on both dimensions.

And if you just value earning Marriott points for use on hotels, it's just worth keeping in mind that with the value of Marriott points where it is, a lot of potential Marriott hotel redemptions will result in less return on spend on the SPG/Marriott credit cards than you would get with a 2% cash back card.
jbeans likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:32 am

First of all these AF amounts mean different things to different people. If, say,$95 or $150, is a lot to one person it may not be to some else. Secondly, while I'll use my CSR after I meet the bonus spending on my SPG lux card, I'll keep the SPG card for the 50k free nt.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by bgriff
If you highly value the option to transfer Marriott points to a wide variety of airline miles, there might be a case for this viewpoint. But worth remembering that 1 dollar on non-bonus spend on SPG Luxury Amex = .8333 airline miles (including the 25% transfer bonus). 1 dollar of restaurant/airfare spend on SPG Luxury Amex = 1.6667 airline miles. Vs 1 dollar of non-bonus spend on CSR = 1 airline mile with a smaller collection of airlines (or 1.5 airline miles with a smaller collection of airlines if you also hold a no-annual-fee CFU); 1 dollar of restaurant/airfare spend on CSR = 3 airline miles with a smaller collection of airlines.

Totally fine if you value the broader range of transfer options enough to justify that tradeoff, but just worth keeping in mind that it's a very different scale of earnings. If you use the CSR/CFU combo you can earn miles almost twice as fast in all spend categories except SPG/Marriott hotel spend, though with the admitted tradeoff that it's a much smaller group of transfer partners.

If you value earning miles with a variety of airlines, it could also be worth thinking about the Amex Membership Rewards family of cards, which overall (depending on your spend patterns) doesn't earn quite as many points as the Chase family of cards can, but does earn miles faster than the SPG Luxury card, and offers more transfer partners than Chase but not as many as Marriott, putting it right in the middle on both dimensions.

And if you just value earning Marriott points for use on hotels, it's just worth keeping in mind that with the value of Marriott points where it is, a lot of potential Marriott hotel redemptions will result in less return on spend on the SPG/Marriott credit cards than you would get with a 2% cash back card.
Not sure if I follow. 60k Marriott Points (the old 20k*3) gives 20k+5k bonus miles > 0.41666 Airline Miles per Point so 0.83 for every day (as you said) but as restaurants/airlines are only 3x it would be 1.25 Airline Miles
CSR has 3 Miles (regardless of number of transfer partners) on Travel/Restaurants which is better than 1.25 and 1 on all else (again better than 0.83)
So the Lux works for Marriott spend at 2.5 miles still below CSR > a CSR/CFU combo beats it every time
The big advantage can be the difference in transfer partners > if you want LH M&M the only way is Marriott Points
jbeans likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:59 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by blitzen
Not sure if I follow. 60k Marriott Points (the old 20k*3) gives 20k+5k bonus miles > 0.41666 Airline Miles per Point so 0.83 for every day (as you said) but as restaurants/airlines are only 3x it would be 1.25 Airline Miles
CSR has 3 Miles (regardless of number of transfer partners) on Travel/Restaurants which is better than 1.25 and 1 on all else (again better than 0.83)
So the Lux works for Marriott spend at 2.5 miles still below CSR > a CSR/CFU combo beats it every time
The big advantage can be the difference in transfer partners > if you want LH M&M the only way is Marriott Points
Sorry you're right I was thinking of the 4x Marriott points on some categories on the SPG Business Amex. SPG Luxury Amex with only 3 Marriott points per dollar on dining/airfare is even worse than I said above.

And, critically, since CSR points can be transferred 1:1 to Marriott, you could also earn 3 Chase points per dollar on dining and travel and then have the option to convert those into 3 UA/SQ/AF/other miles, or into 3 Marriott points which then could become 1.667 other airline miles, if you were really desperate.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Has anyone tried tapping the Luxury card and had it work?

I’ve tried it on several terminals and it doesn’t do anything. It has the NFC logo on it so I’m not sure what the issue is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.